[Xbox 360 Controller] How to make the animation of the steering wheel smooth? (1 Viewer)

Aug 3, 2016
My question is about smooth animation of the steering wheel, which is present in one bus mod I have and not others. I want to put that nice smooth animation into the other buses.

It's unrelated to the hardware itself.

[Xbox 360 Controller] How to make the animation of the steering wheel smooth? - Marcels OMSI-Forum

1. Which version of OMSI 1 or OMSI 2 is being used?
OMSI 2 Latest 2.3.004

2. How often does the problem occur and how? (Error message, but playable / Crash / Freeze / ...)
Every time (not a problem, just a design flaw)

3. Which action leads to the problem? (Place a new bus / Driving on schedule / ...)
Using steering wheel

4. Which content was used? (Map, busses, ...)
- Marcopolo G6 1200 Scania k380
- Mercedes Benz Citaro K

5. Logfile in spoiler or attached

6. System information (OS, RAM, CPU, ...)

------------------------

Take a look at these videos. Please read the descriptions!

- SMOOTH ANIMATED STEERING WHEEL =

- NON SMOOTH STEERING WHEEL =

I am driving with the Xbox 360 Controller in the same manner in both videos.

The controller input in OMSI 2 does not have any smoothness, i.e. it instantly moves left and right unlike ETS2. If you instantly move whole stick to the full right, the bus will move instantly.

I'm not looking to fix this (its been requested before and it seems devs couldn't fix yet) but since this smooth steering wheel (see first video) is possible

I would love to find out how the developer implemented such a smooth animation for the steering wheel and put it in all my other buses.

Please note I do not know anything about the development of mods and have never touched development. I just want to make all wheels smooth like this. Or maybe even a few buses if thats not possible.

Thanks! All help appreciated!

Last edited:
Solution

Wow, thanks so much for your reply, its extremely detailed and I'm so happy it's you that responded, since you're practically the king of UK OMSI Development.

I took a look inside the files. The model config is paradisoG6.cfg in OMSI 2\Vehicles\Marcopolo G6 1200 Scania k380\Model.

you should control F cp_lenkrad_toggle and itll bring you to the steering wheel section

Then I found this. While there is no entry for maxspeed, there is one for delay and I think that's the one. I'll test this later when I have a chance.

This seems easier than I thought (hopefully - haven't had a chance to test yet!). I thought I would have to decompile the models and re-animate them...

Road-hog123

An Orange Bus
FF Council
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
Kent, UK
roadhog123.co.uk
Pronouns
He/Him
I imagine it's just as simple as adding a maximum speed to the steering wheel animation. The same technique is used to make the handbrake move smoothly between off and on when toggled with a key on the keyboard.

You'll find the animation defined in the model config file (model.cfg), here's what it looks like in the C400:
Code:
# Steering Wheel

[mesh]
Common\cab_SteeringWheel.o3d

[newanim]
origin_from_mesh
anim_rot
Axle_Steering_0_L

I am yet to do some actual testing to work out what the units are for maxspeed, but I found setting it to the same as the multiplier worked decently:
Code:
# Steering Wheel

[mesh]
Common\cab_SteeringWheel.o3d

[newanim]
origin_from_mesh
anim_rot
Axle_Steering_0_L
maxspeed
If you can identify the value used for the first bus, you could use that instead.

As you mention, it doesn't smooth the actual input, just the animation of the steering wheel, so if you turn the wheel very quickly it will keep turning slowly until it reaches the new position even though the physics engine will have jumped immediately to the new steering wheel position.

Reactions: shanie

Advertisement

Aug 3, 2016

Wow, thanks so much for your reply, its extremely detailed and I'm so happy it's you that responded, since you're practically the king of UK OMSI Development.

I took a look inside the files. The model config is paradisoG6.cfg in OMSI 2\Vehicles\Marcopolo G6 1200 Scania k380\Model.

you should control F cp_lenkrad_toggle and itll bring you to the steering wheel section

Then I found this. While there is no entry for maxspeed, there is one for delay and I think that's the one. I'll test this later when I have a chance.

This seems easier than I thought (hopefully - haven't had a chance to test yet!). I thought I would have to decompile the models and re-animate them.

And as for your comment about it not actually affecting input, thanks, you're spot on and I was having difficulty wording it properly. Although the input is still very jagged it's still a bit better than keyboard and the controller allows most crucial controls in one place, and even having a smooth animation on the steering wheel really improves the experience!

Something I've really wanted for so long, decided to make a thread, then I get a reply from the man himself within hours. You've made my day!

Thanks again for your reply! I'll test and report back when I can.

Here's the extract from that bus. Notice delay at the bottom

Code:
Interior\volantesc.o3d

[illumination_interior]

[visible]
cp_lenkrad_visible

[newanim]
origin_trans

origin_rot_x

origin_rot_y

origin_rot_z

anim_rot