Wrightbus goes into Administration (1 Viewer)

Advertisement

Apr 11, 2016
I remember the biggest bus manufacturer of my country, Metalpar, ceased its operations earlier this year; apparently because their owners, the gigantic Brazilian company Marcopolo, wanted to convert the factory to assembly Marcopolo bus bodies imported from Brazil. Around 600 people lost their jobs, and a hellalot of bus operators had to find a new company to buy buses from, since Metalpar was probably the most sold urban bus in all the country. The only bright side is that a bunch of smaller bus manufacturers had a significant increase in their sales because they now produce buses for many of the operators who used to order buses to Metalpar.

Apparently from the super extremely little i know from Wrightbus, the closure is not 100% confirmed yet but it doesnt look good. I hope something could be made, specially to protect those 1200 jobs. But the situation doesnt seem to be very optimistic.

Reactions: SatoshiAaron

Advertisement

May 24, 2016
It's just the administration phases, could still be bought out yet. Early stages but grim circumstances.
Yeah, it is possible, but let's face it... What large company that has gone into Administration hasn't gone bankrupt and being liquidated recently?

That being said, we will have to wait and see. I am wondering if Alexander Dennis has flagged their interest in certain parts of the company. Volvo could very well have their foot in the door as well. I am also wondering if Scania want to get themselves deeper into the scene as well, although I think that is less likely than the other two...

LT586

Was Living in the editor
Oct 25, 2016
North
A business deal gone bad, i remember a statement in a book I have, accountants got in and spoilt it, as maybe their invoices havent cleared from the suppliers they use for parts, if you pay on a 60 day term, and there’s a discrepancy at base level, where are the admin to sort it out.

Also their latest brand of buses are terrible, who told them a smaller engine in an 11 or so ton vehicle was a wise idea? Saving the planet but cost of repairs are through the floor. No one likes the streetlite, deck or Nu whatever they have.

Sad

ThompsonXfe

A coach driver
Jan 30, 2019
Durham
A business deal gone bad, i remember a statement in a book I have, accountants got in and spoilt it, as maybe their invoices havent cleared from the suppliers they use for parts, if you pay on a 60 day term, and there’s a discrepancy at base level, where are the admin to sort it out.

They've been in trouble since the NB4L orders were cancelled.

With a kerb weight of 10.7 ton, probably closer to 12 ton fully loaded, a 5 litre engine seems a perrrrfect idea. Then again, operators could have ordered the 6 cyl version. The Streetlite was a lost cause from the moment it was introduced. Lower capacity engines are great on emissions and good for the environment, not when they need rebuilding every year and a half, or flat out replaced after 2.

Advertisement

May 24, 2016
I think

Also their latest brand of buses are terrible, who told them a smaller engine in an 11 or so ton vehicle was a wise idea? Saving the planet but cost of repairs are through the floor. No one likes the streetlite, deck or Nu whatever they have.

Sad

You stated that Nobody likes the Streetlite. I need to just mention here that a lot of them have been distributed to multiple companies. Despite what Drivers and Enthusiasts think, the Streetlite is a productive bus to multiple operating companies. While it is true they didn't sell tremendously well, I feel like they still got distributed to a decent proportion. With units such as Trains or Buses a certain amount get made and then any following orders will be produced gradually with around 5% over production to offer a quick provision for the particular unit requested. What has occurred here is poor money management and a typical case of "over stretching". To make it understood, what I am trying to state is that they are being too ambitious with their product line and are trialing and creating new product that are simply not required at the moment. As most knowledgeable people know when companies buy into a product they set to buy a certain amount that will last them for a decent 15-30+ years. Wrightbus were producing products that nobody had a requirement for. The amount of different Wrightbus Vehicles that I see around now is just silly.

Also as stated before Wrightbus were putting money into things that was just unnecessary and at a large amount.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

Users who are viewing this thread