Working in the bus industry. (1 Viewer)

On The Shires Buses

Centrebus Luton Displays
Jun 16, 2016
Bedfordshire
Hi all,
I didn't know where to place this question so have had to place it here - admins move if necessary ;)

I am just curious on whether there are any members on the forum that has a current career within the bus industry or looking into having one in the industry? I personally am looking into getting a Coachbuilding apprenticeship (4 years) working with my local Arriva depot. I met HR at the Apprenticeship Show, not too far away from me, and seem to be on fairly good terms with them - one of the advisors said I seem to stand out and the head of HR is gonna keep a look out for me! :)
I have already applied and hoping to get an interview in the coming months (applications close at the end of the month in my case)

Advertisement

On The Shires Buses

Centrebus Luton Displays
Jun 16, 2016
Bedfordshire
Well I wish you luck with Coachbuilding, shame it's not with a coachbuilding company which would be better. But I'm hoping to get on to my local bus company if not off to Scania or Volvo.
Arriva is my local company (only by like half a mile) plus I think going through the PLC route is ideal. They said they'll also train me up for Cat D so is a win-win in my situation. Shame I couldn't do it 2 years ago
Good look wish you all the best
Cheers buddy. Hope to be selected as being in the bus industry has always been my passion etc.
I'll hopefully be heading into buses next year, though as a driver probably, but maybe office staff, not sure yet, but driver seems more likely. If I do get a job I'll be a 3rd generation bus driver in my family.
Office staff maybe but would defo would wanna be a driver at some point - even if it means sacrificing a day off from engineering to do it lol, or do driving 4 days (on the 4day rota) and then do engineering for another day to break it up a bit.
Personally I would not want to be a driver. Far too much stress, and the repetitive nature of the job would probably drive me mad. Background staff would be fine though.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion lol, but customer services wouldn't be a likely option as they only pay like £17k before tax so aint that good (compared to £31k for engineer)
Good luck mate, I my self almost became an apprentice engineer with my local stagecoach depot but was unfortunately unlucky. But I did manage to get an apprenticeship with scania as an apprentice Technician so it's allways good to have a back up plan in case things don't go as you wish. :)
I got an interview with my local SC depot (Bedford) 2 years ago but that's like 16 miles away from me plus I didn't have a car at the time. Didn't take it though as had sixth form lined up.

Advertisement

LT586

Was Living in the editor
Oct 25, 2016
North
Interesting thread, without giving too much away I worked for a bus company which I won't name as I'll be hopefully going back there after leaving to spend more time with family...
I can safely say that bus drivers in London I've worked with were the nicest people, background staff are a bit mundane at times but can also be a good laugh, swings and roundabouts really but spoke with a Volvo engineer that he earns more working for them than with the bus companies. Someone also said it's better to get into trains as if buses is your hobby, you'll soon get ribbed to pieces if management and staff get wind of it (they like to poke fun at the hobby, while most of them have a model bus in their office!)

My old manager had a display case of past and present buses which I got a model before I left haha!

All the best with it, I suppose commercial services (non London) are probably not as militant as London buses.

FirstBro

First Yorkshire's Managing Director
Hi all,
I didn't know where to place this question so have had to place it here - admins move if necessary ;)

I am just curious on whether there are any members on the forum that has a current career within the bus industry or looking into having one in the industry? I personally am looking into getting a Coachbuilding apprenticeship (4 years) working with my local Arriva depot. I met HR at the Apprenticeship Show, not too far away from me, and seem to be on fairly good terms with them - one of the advisors said I seem to stand out and the head of HR is gonna keep a look out for me! :)
I have already applied and hoping to get an interview in the coming months (applications close at the end of the month in my case)
I'm planning on applying to be a driver in First Manchester when i've got my stuff sorted and once i've moved house. If i wasn't moving house i'd probably go for Yorkshire Coastliner (Transdev) or First York since i have an old friend who used to be a Staff Manager in the company and he'd vouch for me. But i think he still can even if i go for First Manchester or not. But we'll see what happens i guess :)

Last edited:

Benjy

The DJ Guy
Oct 24, 2016
United Kingdom
UPDATE: Centrebus have offered me to gain my Cat D License without any cost. This is most likely happen in July and if all becomes successful I could be driving come September ! Am over the moon and may even be able to take a bus to showbus if am lucky - and I'm only 18 !
How about that eh? :D
That's great stuff. Congrats!

Reactions: On The Shires Buses

Advertisement

On The Shires Buses

Centrebus Luton Displays
Jun 16, 2016
Bedfordshire
I've been training to become a driver but to work for myself once ChaseBus is up and running! Its not easy but its mainly the driver CPC I'm worried about
I have been told by Luton's OM to focus on getting my theory aspect of the CPC done first and aim to take the test in early July if I put my foot down - no pun intended ! Hopefully the hazard perception should be a breeze then its all down to multiple choice and case studies

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

Users who are viewing this thread