Which Olympian Is Best Olympian? (1 Viewer)

Hullian111

EYMS Buses Really Mean Business
Aug 5, 2017
... well, where do you think?!
My Olympian is best because Leyland!
IMGP1214.jpg

(Image courtesy of Ribble Vehicle Preservation Trust)

In all seriousness, can't agree with you more about the Volvo Olympian. They went away after the Olympics, ironically, and I never got the chance to either experience or recognise them as I grew older. It's sad, really.

Reactions: stevenb46

Advertisement

Blastella

Not very well-known member
Oct 23, 2016
What is a location?
Foreign Invasion incoming! lol
My favorite Olympian must be the air-conditioned 11.3 metres Volvo!
27346430867_0c81ee803a_b.jpg

42171023492_bff070177c_b.jpg

The combination of Volvo D10A and Voith are good enough for me, and the air-con definitely helped during summer!
The extra 0.7 metre gave these buses higher maneuverability, while keeping its capacity high! (Max Allowed Capacity: 124, probably more during rush hour?)

Personally, the biggest reason for this type of the Olympian to be my favorite is because I grew with them!
Saw them when I was baby (probably), saw them even more when I was child, saw them all the time as a teenager, and witnessed their disapperance!
(Probably the reason I pick the Olympian as my profile picture....)
Sadly all of them left service in 2016 after 18 years of service life. Will never forget about them.

Reactions: Huey_74 and 0118999

Hullian111

EYMS Buses Really Mean Business
Aug 5, 2017
... well, where do you think?!
Personally, the biggest reason for this type of the Olympian to be my favorite is because I grew with them!
Saw them when I was baby (probably), saw them even more when I was child, saw them all the time as a teenager, and witnessed their disapperance!
Yeah, lucky you... shame I now see them preserved or as school buses.

Oh, what would I give to see them back in their glory days...

Olympians are easily one of the most successful and best buses ever made. My favourite body is easily the Alexander RL Or the Northern Counties Paletine 1 absolutely beautiful buses. I walk out of school every day to see 4 Olympians lined up perfectly in order it's so nice but a shame they're all school buses and tired but they're Olympians!
Not much else i can say apart from they're opereated by Imperial Coaches LTD Who have a nice Olympian fleet!
The bus that looks different Isn't an Olympian it's an East Lancs Bodied Volvo B10M-50 Getting rare now!
olly.PNG
ollyandelc.PNG

Advertisement

Feb 14, 2018
Still a couple of RL's serving the West Cumbria area on a daily basis but schools only. 16651 seen photoed in the beachball is a scrapper.
My personal favourite Olympian has to be a Leyland with a Gardner/ZF combo. The sound is amazing.

Attachments

• IMG_4156.JPG
    IMG_4156.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4166.JPG
    IMG_4166.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4198.JPG
    IMG_4198.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4207.JPG
    IMG_4207.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4237.JPG
    IMG_4237.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4272.JPG
    IMG_4272.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 34
A lot of our Olympians (Dublin) have gone on to retirement in the UK. The 97-onwards "RV" models were the best..

RV374%20AW9%20310307%20SML.jpg

(Credit to dublinbus.cc for the pic) Unfortunately 2 out of the 3 models in that picture are now gone, and the AV/AX Volvo ALX400's are being phased out now too.. though still finding useful life with private operators.

I'd love a UK/Irish spec Volvo Olympian in OMSI myself. :)

Reactions: Huey_74

Advertisement

LeylandNationalStagecoach

Developer
Outreach
Jun 28, 2018
Fayton Heath, Caldshire
Over the years there have been many many variants of Olympian.

However, which can be considered the best Olympian?

Personally I feel that a Cummins L10/Voith Volvo Olympian with Alexander RL body is better than all others :P

As demonstrated here, just maybe not with those seats...

Do you mean comfort-wise, sound-wise or looks-wise?

That bus is the one that always drove (maybe still drives??) from Barnstaple to Exeter. I've been on it quite a few times.
As far as I can remember, Barnstaple never had any Leyland Olympians. They had Volvos, and they were quite frequent on the 315/155 as far as I can remember. Apart from those, the older Tridents were quite common.

LeylandNationalStagecoach

Developer
Outreach
Jun 28, 2018
Fayton Heath, Caldshire
As far as I can remember, Barnstaple never had any Leyland Olympians. They had Volvos, and they were quite frequent on the 315/155 as far as I can remember. Apart from those, the older Tridents were quite common.
Huh. I can really remember boarding those to and from Barnstaple though... maybe it was a Volvo Olympian Palatine...
26779891982_d8748a0844_b.jpg

Advertisement

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

Users who are viewing this thread