What's wrong with a Streetlite? (1 Viewer)

Rhys stirling

Developer of Stowten
May 4, 2016
Wigan
im sorry i just dont see what everyones got against the streetlite yes it may be very uncomfortable and a very weak engine and not the most reliable buses however thats what put the fun in them and i also think they look quite nice however i think to make it less hated stick a volvo chasis on it and a volvo engine and it would be like the more moden b7rle cause them b8rles are ugly imo and gone backwards from the b7 and the cadet and renown and i think they should modernise the renown and fit a new cleaner engine but that sounds like the old 1 as there is nowt like a good old b10

Advertisement

Street cleaner
Forum Moderator
FF Council
UKDT
Premium Subscriber
Oct 24, 2016
The whole point of a Streetlite is that it's lightweight and integral; if Volvo did the chassis and engine, it's neither of those things and you end up with a Volvo B8RLE Wright Eclipse 2. If you're not a fan of the facelifted Eclipse 2 there's also the MCV Evolution body available.

Volvo haven't really done a lightweight/midibus design since the B6(B)LE, which didn't enjoy a great reputation.

Reactions: Troyski

Castlemilk37

98% Organic Human (may contain traces of asbestos)
Jun 29, 2016
1 Muriel Street, Barrhead
I got this:
upload_2017-8-18_17-48-34.png

It didn't say anything about the sounds at the end but I guess translate is the saviour.

Advertisement

Mar 16, 2017
Don't get me started on Streetlite's - unreliable, underpowered, ugly.
Reading buses regret buying the Streetlites and are giving them to Newbury or selling them and replacing them with 04/05-plate Optare Solo's

I know I am pretty late to this thread, but I was looking for a Streetlite thread and luckily, I came across this one.

The Streetlite is a pretty controversial bus, given its looks, and underpowered engine, but I travel on them all the time and they don't seem to have any reliability issues.

The London spec 9.5m variants on Arriva's 410 and 450 buses, being SK17 for the 410 and LX66 regs on the 450 are alright atleast. Anerley Hill in Crystal Palace is a fairly steep hill the 410 traverses, but it copes better than the equivalent double decker (Wright Gemini3) on route 249, but not as well as equally as frequent LJ12 reg Enviro 200's (Citybus 200's) as there's a significantly larger gap between gears and sound increase when reaching the peak.

Like the Gemini3 (at least for its original design from 2013-15) the looks are odd to say the least and when first seeing ether bus, they looked quite ugly to say the least, but the designs have grown on me. The E400 MMC's have a similar black outline of the headlights, seen on the Streetlite and Gemini3 and people seem fine about it.

An important issue I've found, only occurring with the LX66 reg buses on route 450, is the gas like smell coming from the engine, evident when you're at the back of the bus. Its the first time I've come across any bus having this strange issue. Not even rarer, older buses produce a gassy smell in the bus.

I atleast believe that this generation of Wright buses are pretty poor when compared to the efforts of Alexander Dennis. The E400 MMC's, despite some featuring the infamous Volvo I-Shift gearbox, is a quicker, more refined bus inside, whereas I can't help thinking that the designs of the Gemini3 are more refined. Overall, it is a better bus, but I believe its price, (unknown) may have a factor to the Gemini3's milder success.

I've rarely travelled on a E200 MMC, but even the original E200 is better than the Streetlite, but, specifically the LJ12 or 2011/12 models feel cheaper than the later 2014/15 models.

It's hard to explain, but in my opinion the Streetlite is a below average bus with a couple of redeeming factors, such as the design, but its shaky ride, especially in lower gears, is irritating, as well as the cramped seats and the terrible engine's smoky smell.

If I was to rate the bus, I'd give it a 5.7/10. A bit specific, but I don't know why but the bus, despite its shortcomings, is an interesting and likable model, especially since I've never ridden a single decker Wrightbus, as Gemini1 and Gemini2 single decker versions (I don't know what they're called)

I have to agree with Rhys Stirling's point of the bus being fun. It atleast seems this way when riding them compared to the 2011/12 Enviro 200's.

What is anyone else's thoughts?

Reactions: Callum23
D

Deleted member 422

I know I am pretty late to this thread, but I was looking for a Streetlite thread and luckily, I came across this one.

The Streetlite is a pretty controversial bus, given its looks, and underpowered engine, but I travel on them all the time and they don't seem to have any reliability issues.

The London spec 9.5m variants on Arriva's 410 and 450 buses, being SK17 for the 410 and LX66 regs on the 450 are alright atleast. Anerley Hill in Crystal Palace is a fairly steep hill the 410 traverses, but it copes better than the equivalent double decker (Wright Gemini3) on route 249, but not as well as equally as frequent LJ12 reg Enviro 200's (Citybus 200's) as there's a significantly larger gap between gears and sound increase when reaching the peak.

Like the Gemini3 (at least for its original design from 2013-15) the looks are odd to say the least and when first seeing ether bus, they looked quite ugly to say the least, but the designs have grown on me. The E400 MMC's have a similar black outline of the headlights, seen on the Streetlite and Gemini3 and people seem fine about it.

An important issue I've found, only occurring with the LX66 reg buses on route 450, is the gas like smell coming from the engine, evident when you're at the back of the bus. Its the first time I've come across any bus having this strange issue. Not even rarer, older buses produce a gassy smell in the bus.

I atleast believe that this generation of Wright buses are pretty poor when compared to the efforts of Alexander Dennis. The E400 MMC's, despite some featuring the infamous Volvo I-Shift gearbox, is a quicker, more refined bus inside, whereas I can't help thinking that the designs of the Gemini3 are more refined. Overall, it is a better bus, but I believe its price, (unknown) may have a factor to the Gemini3's milder success.

I've rarely travelled on a E200 MMC, but even the original E200 is better than the Streetlite, but, specifically the LJ12 or 2011/12 models feel cheaper than the later 2014/15 models.

It's hard to explain, but in my opinion the Streetlite is a below average bus with a couple of redeeming factors, such as the design, but its shaky ride, especially in lower gears, is irritating, as well as the cramped seats and the terrible engine's smoky smell.

If I was to rate the bus, I'd give it a 5.7/10. A bit specific, but I don't know why but the bus, despite its shortcomings, is an interesting and likable model, especially since I've never ridden a single decker Wrightbus, as Gemini1 and Gemini2 single decker versions (I don't know what they're called)

I have to agree with Rhys Stirling's point of the bus being fun. It atleast seems this way when riding them compared to the 2011/12 Enviro 200's.

What is anyone else's thoughts?
So what you're saying, is a bus that is below average, worse than its competitors, lacks power, has issues mechanically, feals 'cheap ' , cramped interior design, and is 'irritating', is fun?

Mar 16, 2017
So what you're saying, is a bus that is below average, worse than its competitors, lacks power, has issues mechanically, feals 'cheap ' , cramped interior design, and is 'irritating', is fun?

Essentially.

But to be more specific, I mean the SK17s used on route 410. Maybe because they aren't as old as the LK66s (which produce that smoke like smell) why I prefer these models overall, but it's fun, despite the weak engine, which makes a good sound, the stop start system is atleast a positive over the Enviro 200s and even today I thought the design has really grown on me.

Its the Streetlite's quirks that I find fun. The quick acceleration and surprisingly good leg room, at the back is what I like about the bus, which is what the Enviro 200 can't provide

The Enviro 200 is a great bus overall, but it's not as interesting or as exclusive as the Streetlite. The engine is bland to listen to, all seats are painfully squeezed together and on the tight roads the 410 traverses through, it tends to get stuck, or has to reverse more often, maybe because the steering rack is heavier or something.

The earlier Enviro 200s, especially back in its inception, around 2006, were worse than the Streetlite. The layout, specifically on the one door 8.9m buses were terrible, coupled with a noisy engine, cramped interior and woeful suspension. It had none of the quirks of the Streetlite either. No love it/hate it exterior design or 'fun' factor.

To make things clear, I'm comparing the 9.5m Streetlite and 9.6m Enviro 200. As I haven't ridden a bigger Streetlite, I can't give my verdict on it. Maybe its better, or maybe its worse, but the 10.2m Enviro 200s are alright for the most part.

I known buses are just meant to get you from A to B, but I prefer making those journeys on a Streetlite. The interior is fine, its the specific seats used that are the issue, but I guess its my preference to the underdog.

Advertisement

Mar 16, 2017
I'm sorry but I just came home on an enviro 200 and it was a lot faster then the Streetlite I went on, last Thursday. I also hate the leg room on the streetlite on all seats(not just the back ones). I want to know what one of the number plates are so I know how old your bus is(both bus number plates please).

LK66 for route 450 and SK17 for route 410. They're both 9.5m Streetlite's, but they might differ to the ones you travel on, as they're 2 door buses. Also the Streetlite's are lighter and have quicker acceleration than the Enviro 200's, atleast the variations over here.

LazyGuy222

Resident First Leicester Enthusiast
May 7, 2016
Leicester
LK66 for route 450 and SK17 for route 410. They're both 9.5m Streetlite's, but they might differ to the ones you travel on, as they're 2 door buses. Also the Streetlite's are lighter and have quicker acceleration than the Enviro 200's, atleast the variations over here.
An extra door makes no difference....

Mar 16, 2017
YX14 reg Allison Gearbox 2014 1 Door 39 Seat 10.8m &
YY15 reg Allison Gearbox 2015 1 Door 38 Seat 10.8m

As I said then, I can't speak for the longer iterations of the Streetlite, as I haven't ridden them. In your case, the Enviro 200 is a better bus, maybe so, but I have only ridden on London spec Enviro 200s and only the 9.5m Streetlites.

Also what's with the negativity, aren't I entitled to my own opinion?

I'm not offending you in anyway, as I personally prefer the Enviro 200s anyway, even the comparable 9.6m iteration. I'm only saying that the Streetlite, despite its various flaws, aren't the worst bus ever.

Reactions: Lukeo and OmniWink

Advertisement

This thread is more than 3 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

Users who are viewing this thread