What's wrong with a Streetlite? (1 Viewer)

May 2, 2017
The earlier Streetlites are Cummins, I believe all the mild hybrid ones that have Low Carbon certification are Daimler (Mercedes)

Arriva North East seem to have Cummins on most of their MH streetlites from 15 or 16 plate streetlites, with 2 Daimler trials. A bit of deeper digging shows the Cummins are used on the 22 route that was being complained about. If you've been on both, I can definitely say Daimler examples are a lot smoother... but that being said it's true that they, the Streetlites being complained about, basically are ADL 200s with different bodies on the most part.

Advertisement

D

Deleted member 422

Arriva North East seem to have Cummins on most of their MH streetlites from 15 or 16 plate streetlites, with 2 Daimler trials. A bit of deeper digging shows the Cummins are used on the 22 route that was being complained about. If you've been on both, I can definitely say Daimler examples are a lot smoother... but that being said it's true that they, the Streetlites being complained about, basically are ADL 200s with different bodies on the most part.
Different chassis, different interior, different exterior, different manufacturer, different quality, similar engine. Hardly the same bus...

May 2, 2017
Different chassis, different interior, different exterior, different manufacturer, different quality, similar engine. Hardly the same bus...

The looks and material used on the outside and inside doesn't seem to be an appropriate argument here. You've very quickly gone from complaining about gearbox issues and mechanical stuff to aesthetically matters. For me, the looks do not make the bus, rather how it rides and the features available. It could look like an octopus for all that really matters.

D

Deleted member 422

The looks and material used on the outside and inside doesn't seem to be an appropriate argument here. You've very quickly gone from complaining about gearbox issues and mechanical stuff to aesthetically matters. For me, the looks do not make the bus, rather how it rides and the features available. It could look like an octopus for all that really matters.
If ride and features is what you want...I can tell you all about that too! When braking, the bus has a tendancy to suddenly surge forwards as the brake has been released, meaning drivers have a hard time controlling the braking, and usually end up having to brake quite hard, giving a poor ride to passengers (and this appears to be 90% of drivers, of a range of companies), the suspension is inadequate, the gearbox revs far to high, (though that can be seen in Euro6 E200s, and I always complain about it there too...), there is a similar amount of features, certainly here in London, on the two buses you mention. However, things like stop bells, door equipment, GPS systems and CCTV screens, seem to always be breaking on a Streetlite, and hardly ever do on an E200, or any other bus. Quite a coincidence in my opinion. But at the end of the day thats all it is really, opinion. I have mine and you have yours...so I suppose we'll just agree to disagree eh? ;)

JoshYouWerLad

Top IRL Bus Driver
Sep 1, 2016
West Yorkshire
When my depot got StreetLites everyone loved them. Now they don't. I had one on my late turn last night on our longest route which is a 53 miles round trip and I did 1 and 3 quarter trips on it. Its a route I do often as well so appreciate a good bus on it, usually its a 667** or a 69** Volvo. Theyre okay for city work but not the route it was on last night.

D

Deleted member 422

When my depot got StreetLites everyone loved them. Now they don't. I had one on my late turn last night on our longest route which is a 53 miles round trip and I did 1 and 3 quarter trips on it. Its a route I do often as well so appreciate a good bus on it, usually its a 667** or a 69** Volvo. Theyre okay for city work but not the route it was on last night.
53 miles? What route is this?

• Haha
Reactions: Zeliux

LT586

Was Living in the editor
Oct 25, 2016
North
With that being said, it's a lightweight cheaper option yes but with the advantage of BYD and ADL will we see less of the Streetlite? Or the new Wright Streetair. TBH I can't see the environmental factor as what happens to the chemicals in the batteries once disposed of also recycling of such things? A friend works in Environmental Engineering so it does beg the question

Advertisement

May 19, 2017
ANE Has some new 17 Reg streetlites, They are alright I suppose. One did brakedown on the first day. From a driver P.O.V they are nice to drive. Still prefer the pulsar 2.

Zeliux

Something Questionable
Mar 24, 2016
Leicester
Generally, we have got new E400 MMC's and they aren't too bad. Only problem I have with them right now is how they are driven. MMC'S typically last around 8-12 years but the way they are driven, shows that they will be withdrawn way earlier. It may be irrelevant but the Streetdecks aren't too bad. I'm pretty annoyed by the 'BEEP' after the doors have closed but in my opinion, ADL do a much better job than Wrightbus.

Oct 30, 2016
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Pronouns
He/Him
Ah yes I do love Bramley's streetlites, as a passenger they are lovely. My personal favourite is 47640. I assume the 52 mile round trip route is the 9A?

Advertisement

JoshYouWerLad

Top IRL Bus Driver
Sep 1, 2016
West Yorkshire
Are you quite sure you've done you're maths properly? Seeing as its about 10-15 miles across Leeds, making it about 30 miles...not quite near 52 ;) I reckon you could do that trip, going via Harrogate and still be around 52 miles round trip...
Yes I am sure when I drive the route in service at least once a week lol. It goes the long way round.

Untitled.jpg

Ah yes I do love Bramley's streetlites, as a passenger they are lovely. My personal favourite is 47640. I assume the 52 mile round trip route is the 9A?
Yes the 9A or as its referred to at work as "Ring Road". Not a lot of people like the route because of its tight timings and the length of it. I enjoy the route, infact I am on the same duty Monday Tuesday and Wednesday this week as overtime on my week off.

D

Deleted member 422

Yes I am sure when I drive the route in service at least once a week lol. It goes the long way round.

View attachment 25950

Yes the 9A or as its referred to at work as "Ring Road". Not a lot of people like the route because of its tight timings and the length of it. I enjoy the route, infact I am on the same duty Monday Tuesday and Wednesday this week as overtime on my week off.
I stand corrected. I take it the 9A goes end to end? I was only ever aware of the 9, which splits its journey at the White Rose, and it also is run by two companies, which begs the question, which company operates the 9A?

JoshYouWerLad

Top IRL Bus Driver
Sep 1, 2016
West Yorkshire
I stand corrected. I take it the 9A goes end to end? I was only ever aware of the 9, which splits its journey at the White Rose, and it also is run by two companies, which begs the question, which company operates the 9A?
We used to do the 9 fully yet we only do it on a night but it runs as the 9A. There are 4 buses that run it on a night. My duty what I love is you take it from Garage Park, private to Seacroft then to Horsforth, back to Seacroft and back to Horsforth and into the garage. First Bus operate the 9A and the 9 between Horsforth - White Rose and obviously the 9A on evenings and sundays.

D

Deleted member 422

We used to do the 9 fully yet we only do it on a night but it runs as the 9A. There are 4 buses that run it on a night. My duty what I love is you take it from Garage Park, private to Seacroft then to Horsforth, back to Seacroft and back to Horsforth and into the garage. First Bus operate the 9A and the 9 between Horsforth - White Rose and obviously the 9A on evenings and sundays.
Ahh makes sense. I've only ever been near that route during the day, so I would never have seen the 9A or knew of its existance if it weren't for you ;) Thanks.

The streetlite is good for routes that suit it but it's a waste of space on my route the 184 from Huddersfield to Manchester but that's what happened on a Friday a couple of years ago. I wasn't getting on it because by the time I get on, it be full and I would have to stand up for maybe a hour which is not plausable, I just waited for the next hour which was miles better since it was a Enviro 400

Advertisement

This thread is more than 3 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

Users who are viewing this thread