What's up with all the spammers?

Razor

Ex-staff
Jul 30, 2014
I just banned like... four spammers. In a row. With barely fifteen minutes in between. How do they keep finding this place? It seems like 1/2 of the registered users on this board are spammers who've been banned. Although I hope that's not the case, it sure seems that way.

Perhaps you should consider IP banning them, although that will not prevent them from coming back if they use a proxy unless you don't allow proxies on your forum. I'm not sure if XenForo supports any of that as I'm only familiar with IPB, phpBB and some vBulletin.

Although, it is a satisfying feeling to ban them all manually.
Maybe you could look around for a spammer IP blacklist—a great one being Stop Forum Spam.
Most of these spammers register with an outlook (gmail is also very popular) e-mail address, so keep an eye open for that.

There's a plugin here that prevents known spammers from even registering, but it seems dated and I'm not sure if it works. If you have XF 1.2.2, this plugin may work. It's more recent, but discontinued. However, this one seems to add much more than only spam prevention.

Last edited:

Muzz

The Baron
May 25, 2009
Favourite Truck
Scania
We have spam prevention added, which blocks all spam bots from signing up, but we can't block human spammers as they can register just like any normal member would.

I can assure you the spamming community here is significantly smaller than the legit community :)

Reactions: 4D1L and KGB

Adi

Jan 10, 2014
@Razor if you were around the forum maybe a month ago the number of spam posts were 10 times more and we had to delete each one manually.
I am so happy and relieved that @Muzz added the Moderation Queue feature.

4D1L

The Lurker
Apr 1, 2014
Favourite Truck
Mercedes
By adding plugins that prevents spam you are just ruining the role of a moderator. Plugins just takes the fun out of moderation. I like this community because there have been no fights since I have been here with the exception of Facebook. In my opinion, spam trains moderators for bigger issues that may occur.
Enough with moderating, @Muzz and @Max don't you guys think that we are a bit late with the August giveaway?

Max

TruckSim.Org Ops Manager
Administrator
Jan 12, 2014
Favourite Truck
Volvo
Oh yeah :P Will drop you a message later and we can get that one sorted

Muzz

The Baron
May 25, 2009
Favourite Truck
Scania
By adding plugins that prevents spam you are just ruining the role of a moderator. Plugins just takes the fun out of moderation. I like this community because there have been no fights since I have been here with the exception of Facebook. In my opinion, spam trains moderators for bigger issues that may occur.
Enough with moderating, @Muzz and @Max don't you guys think that we are a bit late with the August giveaway?
No one's donated us any keys.

Muzz

The Baron
May 25, 2009
Favourite Truck
Scania
My Steam is muzzed5

Feel free to send me what you wish to :)

Anything is greatly appreciated!