What is your favourite version of Windows? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the ultimate Windows?

I have used most of the Windows versions from 98 onwards, but I want to hear what you guys think about each version of Windows. But here is my account but what is the best version of Windows?

This list in in order that I remember using the :)
- Windows 98 - First OS our family computer had. Many a hour playing empire earth and roller coaster tycoon on the ol machine. First time I played a PC game and did't think much of it...
- Windows XP - Windows Flag ship for many a while, shame it has just lost support for it from Microsoft oh well. Many a hours writing essays and power points at school with this OS. Lost but not forgotten ;)
- Windows Vista - Urm yeah.....
- Windows 7 - Still used today by many many people. I use it still at 6th form for various eases from Nazi Occupatiin to politics (FUN....) A good solid OS and succeeded where vista failed.
- Windows 8 - While Microsoft were losing profits to their Competetors Apple over their IPads they thought, let's put apps on a computer... Ouch! My experiences of Windows 8 is that I never used the apps and when I tried they never worked and just crashed... I just kept to the desktop stuff and used as I would have the previous versions.
- Windows 10 - Tricky one this. First off I use this as my own current OS and these are my issues and I know people who use it perfect but this is my experience with it. When Windows 10 works as it should it is a Brittany piece of kit, improved in Windows 8. However when it doesn't work it gets abit poop. First off all Logitech Drivers just stopped working. Webcam - Stopped and most of all my Logitch Wheel - Stopped. As a constant player of ETS & ATS I was really at a loss here... I have no converted to an Xbox 360 controller which is okay I guess. Second my start bar just didn't work... Nothing Windows 10 related would work. Only the settings and when I do try to use the start bar I get a massive clunky error appear... I believe it is due to me upgrading due to the free update and I believe that the old Windows is conflicting in some way. But I don't know really but really strange, and I want to hear of anyone who has also had issues and if they have had issues like me or if it's just me being the odd one out lol.

Overall I'm the type of guy who thinks newer the better it should be right? I'm installing a new SSD & HDD today and I will be re installing Windows 10 again today so I'm hoping this will fix my problem, if not or if it does I will post an edit bellow this to finish my full conclusion.

Anyway thank you for having a read of my thought of the day. So what is the best Windows OS or even more, is Mac better? I personally have a Mac and I like it but not as for gaming just for school work. So overall what is your pic and for what type of activity? Gaming, Web surfing or making documents? Let me know :)

Advertisement

Max

-- .- -..-
FF Council
Jan 12, 2014
UK
What is the ultimate Windows?

I have used most of the Windows versions from 98 onwards, but I want to hear what you guys think about each version of Windows. But here is my account but what is the best version of Windows?

This list in in order that I remember using the :)
- Windows 98 - First OS our family computer had. Many a hour playing empire earth and roller coaster tycoon on the ol machine. First time I played a PC game and did't think much of it...
- Windows XP - Windows Flag ship for many a while, shame it has just lost support for it from Microsoft oh well. Many a hours writing essays and power points at school with this OS. Lost but not forgotten ;)
- Windows Vista - Urm yeah.....
- Windows 7 - Still used today by many many people. I use it still at 6th form for various eases from Nazi Occupatiin to politics (FUN....) A good solid OS and succeeded where vista failed.
- Windows 8 - While Microsoft were losing profits to their Competetors Apple over their IPads they thought, let's put apps on a computer... Ouch! My experiences of Windows 8 is that I never used the apps and when I tried they never worked and just crashed... I just kept to the desktop stuff and used as I would have the previous versions.
- Windows 10 - Tricky one this. First off I use this as my own current OS and these are my issues and I know people who use it perfect but this is my experience with it. When Windows 10 works as it should it is a Brittany piece of kit, improved in Windows 8. However when it doesn't work it gets abit poop. First off all Logitech Drivers just stopped working. Webcam - Stopped and most of all my Logitch Wheel - Stopped. As a constant player of ETS & ATS I was really at a loss here... I have no converted to an Xbox 360 controller which is okay I guess. Second my start bar just didn't work... Nothing Windows 10 related would work. Only the settings and when I do try to use the start bar I get a massive clunky error appear... I believe it is due to me upgrading due to the free update and I believe that the old Windows is conflicting in some way. But I don't know really but really strange, and I want to hear of anyone who has also had issues and if they have had issues like me or if it's just me being the odd one out lol.

Overall I'm the type of guy who thinks newer the better it should be right? I'm installing a new SSD & HDD today and I will be re installing Windows 10 again today so I'm hoping this will fix my problem, if not or if it does I will post an edit bellow this to finish my full conclusion.

Anyway thank you for having a read of my thought of the day. So what is the best Windows OS or even more, is Mac better? I personally have a Mac and I like it but not as for gaming just for school work. So overall what is your pic and for what type of activity? Gaming, Web surfing or making documents? Let me know :)

First windows OS I used was Win 95! At the time it was great! My favourite so far was 7, big enough change from XP but not all the silly UI stuff tha they're pushing now with 8 and 10 (I understand that it's better for touchscreen devices, I don't use touchscreen laptops or computers..). Trying really hard to like Windows 10 at the moment as I know that in time Windows 7 will become unsupported as XP has.

Maybe I'll just have to find a way to move everything I do onto Mac though, it's one of those things that I was interested in and now I use it everyday just prefer if I'm given the choice! A handful will know that I actually use my MacBook and a windows laptop rather than one or the other, considering making that a Hackintosh for daily use and then leaving a copy of Windows 7 or 10 for things that Mac can't do yet, namely FSX and Zmod :p

03a1b72e134ee792802b95902916b922.jpg

Reactions: Maticus1999

Seven

The Dickhead
Aug 25, 2014
UK
lx-fx.co.uk
Windows 7 by a long shot. I have Windows 8 on my laptop and I hate it because all the settings that used to be easy to find are all tucked away behind more and more submenus. Windows 7 just keeps everything at your fingertips I find. For tablets I can see the appeal of Windows 8/10 but I will never upgrade my desktop to a later Windows. Windows 7 looks good, is fully customizable with little to no difficulty and keeps everything open.

I have an old system I call The Dinosaur since it's older than me nearly, old RM hard drive, horizontal box and a big CRT monitor, all cream that'd faded yellow from sunlight over the years. It runs on XP and it's so painfully slow I don't know how we coped! :P

David.Ikaël

Long time virtual driver
Jun 24, 2014
France
steamcommunity.com
I never used Windows 98. The first PC of my family was using Windows XP. When I was kid I used to play free online games on internet with my sister, that was the great time !
Then my sister had a laptop with Windows 7. And 2 years ago I had mine with Windows 8 (And my sister got a new one with Windows 8 as well).
I never used Windows 10. For your question : I have no preference, I live with what I have ! :p
But I can say that on Windows 8, I am always on the desktop thing (I never use the apps, like you).
(And I can use Mac at school, but that's weird for me as I am a "Windows addict". ^^)

Reactions: Maticus1999

Max

-- .- -..-
FF Council
Jan 12, 2014
UK
(And I can use Mac at school, but that's weird for me as I am a "Windows addict". ^^)

Just spend a bit of time using Mac, you'll learn to love it really quick! I wasn't too sure I'd get used to it when I first started using it having always been a Windows person! It's just a shame that it costs so much to buy Apple's computers, I really want a Mac Pro but no way I'd pay the money they want :P

Reactions: David.Ikaël
Jul 31, 2014
My favourite was Vista... I'm not even joking.

Windows 98 was great as well, but it it was just outdated when the internet got a bigger presence in the PC world.
I had Windows 8, which was godaweful. It was so incredibly hard to look for stuff on there. I just did not get it at all.
I upgraded to 10 which is much better.
The thing that annoys me with 10 though, is that it's like Microsoft is breathing down your neck all the time. MS: ''Hey, want an update?'' Me: ''No, what for?'' MS: ''Here's your new update.''
MS: ''Look at all these ''apps'' you can get!'' Me: ''F**k off.''
And Win 10 isn't Vista, which is also a con.

David.Ikaël

Long time virtual driver
Jun 24, 2014
France
steamcommunity.com
Just spend a bit of time using Mac, you'll learn to love it really quick! I wasn't too sure I'd get used to it when I first started using it having always been a Windows person! It's just a shame that it costs so much to buy Apple's computers, I really want a Mac Pro but no way I'd pay the money they want :p
One day... one day...
(That will not be soon I think xD)

Advertisement

Speedy

Pro Trucker ;)
Jan 1, 2014
US
www.ptvtc.com
Some may not know this but I am very big into computers and have been working with computers since I was a little kid. Here is my list of Windows that I have used and my thoughts of it. (And the Windows Versions are in the correct order also.)

• Windows 95 - It was very good operating system. This was the very first OS I ever had. And I still have it on Floppy (If you know what a floppy disk is...) :p:eek:
  • Windows 98 - This I would say was one of my favorite OS for a long time. I used it for couple of years.
  • Windows 2000 - Now this one did have some new things to it like all Windows Systems. But I had to pick a favorite between this one and the first two listed above, I would say Windows 2000. I used this way longer then 98.
  • Windows XP - Now like Windows 2000, I have used XP for many years. I can still remember the pains of installing windows xp on to computers. The one main problem that there was with Windows XP (When you first install it), When you went into Windows Updates to download/install the new updates, the Internet Explorer was out of date. Then when you tried to update Explorer, It would take you to the Windows Updates. (And no if you remember XP, this only happen after XP was out for couple of years.) Now a fun fact for Windows XP, I was using XP on my computer I have now (Except for the updates to the computer I did since then.) But I used it for months after XP was not supported.
  • Windows Vista - I was really never a big fan of windows vista, and from other people, Not many people actually did. For the way I see Windows Vista is it was big changing point and testing for the features and interface of Vista for Windows 7.
  • Windows 7 - This is where I say this was the best windows for years that was out. It was very clean interface, easy to use for the less educated people with computers, etc.
  • Windows 8 - Not much to say but this was really crappy. (I know some people like it but I never did.)
  • Windows 8.1 - Compared to 8, It was alot better. Yes, things could have been better but it was alot better than 8.
  • Windows 10 - Very good. I have been using Windows 10 since the night it came out, I do know ALOT of the bugs/problems that might happen windows 10. (And I have upgraded about 20 if not more computers to Windows 10.)
Now, I have a lot of experience with Windows as you can see. And as I am a geek of computers (Some might say that) But with computers itself, I can build a computer from scratch, I can give you tips on the current parts, can make it very easy to understand. I been fixing and building for many years.

Think I did cover everything but, If anyone ever needs help with their computer(s), Please feel free to ask me. ;)

And I have been messing around with Linux for about a year now.

Last edited:
I would say that my favorite OS must be windows 7 as it is the most stable version I have had. Sure the continuously pushing adds from microsoft that tells you all about the great features of oh holy windows 10 is pretty much annoying as I don´t even want to upgrade to it. Now I had windows 10 on my secondary computer but it didn´t work out that good as 1st the PC wasn´t the best and 2nd of all that PC run Windows 7 much better than WIndows 10 as it didn´t use as much CPU than windows 10 did.

Why bother if you don't have too, right! Have you found any issues running XP still or is everything as smooth as it always was? :p
Hi Max,

Well i have found XP to be fine, i know it's old but it has been around for so long i would think everything should be sorted with it by now. i was not happy when Microsoft stopped support for it but i have found it no different since then,

The one thing i did do years ago was to use Firefox rather than WE and i must say that has been ok. it's trying to keep up with the bugs from using the net !!

Roger.

Advertisement

I've only ever used XP, 7 and 8.1 and my most preferred and absolute favourite is 7 because it's more modern than XP and I spent more time with 7 and 8.1 is a piece of junk due to having constant issues with it crashing

I used allot of OS over my years, Windows three (that was fun) and today is windows 10. I liked windows 7 and gotta be the best out of the lot and next one down is XP. If I had an choice I would be on XP again to play around with the older software. Windows 10 has been a big step forward from 8.1. a guy had an great idea that he wanted to for the next windows of 8 and they did his version of his dream, turns out that his version oft hat dream is not everyone tastes and it went bad, one reasons I stayed away. In the make of windows 10, they kicked him out and made what people want by bring back XP and 7 into it and updated it with powerful code. Outcome is that it was an good results.

Been using 10 every since the first development mod came out, and that was 6 months before the public release. so the 10 that we all have now is nothing regarding problems comparing a year ago

Reactions: Speedy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread