What Does Your Desktop Look Like? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Advertisement

Seven

The Dickhead
Aug 25, 2014
UK
lx-fx.co.uk
I had a copy of Windows 7 handy so installed it alongside my existing install then just updated it as anybody else would to Windows 10! That way I got the free upgrade without touching the install of Win 7 I already had :)
Clever. I dual boot Ubuntu on mine. I got so mad at Windows 8 when I got the laptop that I decided to dual boot for a few weeks til I forgave Win 8 so I'm using that now. Can't remember how to get back on Ubuntu though, if it is still there; it used to ask me which flavor I wanted to use when I restarted. Oh well.

I would be using my Windows 7 PC with the dual screens but the switch decided it doesn't want to work anymore. Rather than invest money I don't have into confirming it is the switch or something bigger I'm just going to save up to build a whole new PC and just jack the drives out of it when the build's done.

Hi Seven, ahh the old dual boot conundrum :)

I also dual boot, in my case, windows10 and linux but this time I decided to install it slightly differently, in the past when I dual booted win and lin it used to replace the windows bootloader with grub, which is ok if you like the grub bootloader, then picture the scene, linux breaks so you think, ah ok, I'll remove the linux partitions and re-install which seems fine until you reboot and have a minor heart attack because what you now get is a broken grub, usualy a blank screen with a flashing cursor or an ever so helpful grub rescue prompt, which can take ages to sort out, trawling through forums using another PC or your Phone, so now I do things differently, when I install linux, I set up the partitions in advance by shrinking the windows partition to make some space then installing linux to the now empty space, use the linux partition editor to create partitions for whatever I need, say, root and swap, but I install the grub bootloader on the root partition of my linux installation instead of the windows partition, then I reboot and of course windows just boots normally using its own bootloader, I then use EasyBCD to manually edit my boot screen and add the linux entry and point it at the linux root partition, on the next reboot I will get the windows bootlader now with two entries one for windows and the other for linux, if I select linux it then will launch the grub bootloader after auto restarting the machine and then you launch linux from there, it seems a bit complicated, but if linux now breaks and you delete the linux partitions you will still get the windows bootloader and be able to launch windows without problems, just a thought.

edjon2000uk

Seven

The Dickhead
Aug 25, 2014
UK
lx-fx.co.uk
Hi Seven, ahh the old dual boot conundrum :)

I also dual boot, in my case, windows10 and linux but this time I decided to install it slightly differently, in the past when I dual booted win and lin it used to replace the windows bootloader with grub, which is ok if you like the grub bootloader, then picture the scene, linux breaks so you think, ah ok, I'll remove the linux partitions and re-install which seems fine until you reboot and have a minor heart attack because what you now get is a broken grub, usualy a blank screen with a flashing cursor or an ever so helpful grub rescue prompt, which can take ages to sort out, trawling through forums using another PC or your Phone, so now I do things differently, when I install linux, I set up the partitions in advance by shrinking the windows partition to make some space then installing linux to the now empty space, use the linux partition editor to create partitions for whatever I need, say, root and swap, but I install the grub bootloader on the root partition of my linux installation instead of the windows partition, then I reboot and of course windows just boots normally using its own bootloader, I then use EasyBCD to manually edit my boot screen and add the linux entry and point it at the linux root partition, on the next reboot I will get the windows bootlader now with two entries one for windows and the other for linux, if I select linux it then will launch the grub bootloader after auto restarting the machine and then you launch linux from there, it seems a bit complicated, but if linux now breaks and you delete the linux partitions you will still get the windows bootloader and be able to launch windows without problems, just a thought.

edjon2000uk
That's where mine's always been funny - if I clicked on Windows it'll boot as standard on Windows, same with Ubuntu. As I say, the selection screen for which side I want to use is gone now. If I cared that much I'd figure it out but I don't so. :P

2010151419.png

Without my second 1024x768 monitor connected :')

Reactions: [BT] Elliot [BE]

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread