Video From American Truck Simulator (1 Viewer)

Advertisement

Jul 31, 2014
Ooooh, lucky me, I could watch the entire thing. Guess it must've been made private while I was watching it.

So for everyone who can't watch it: it looks like ETS 2, but with actual challenges and a waaaaay better map.

I'll just state what I dislike about ATS already though:
-The map's pretty darn small. It looks detailed but yeah... Still small.
-The roads look way too clean (same problem as the eastern-European countries had in ETS 2). US roads, especially in the south due to the heat/poor government decisions concerning infrastructure, are kind of crap. Still not eastern-European bad, but just not as smooth and non-drammatic as they seem to appair in ATS.
-And I must admit that I was a bit disappointed at one point though. When he drove through the Nevada desert I saw a lot of... plants appear out of thin air which were pretty close by. I can sort of excuse it when plants flicker in and out of existence from far away, but yeah, it was very noticable.
-SCS, this is not a weigh station!!!:
Cat%20Scales.jpg

this is a scale, these are the things you can find at truckstops and are not mandatory!

this is a weigh station!!!:
138041.jpg

Learn the freacking difference!

Sorry, but I find it rather annoying as it's such a missed oppertunity to add something new and cool in, but they blew it as far as I could see on the video. On the highway between LV and LA there was a truckstop with such a CAT scale (heck, it was even the type of yellow), but the highway sign clearly read WEIGH STATION.

Things I did like:
-Different transmissions! Woohoo! I saw that a base daycab KW (or was it a Pete? We will never know...) had a 10 speed Eaten-Fuller as standard (could've been a spoof name like Eat'N'FillHer as well, I didn't pay enough attention to it) and one of the trucks he was driving had 16 speeds.
Little disclaimer on the 16 speed transmission part: the option-menu in the beginning (same as in ETS 2) only showed 12 gears on the H-shifter patern thingy. He choose the ''splitter'' gear box and when he pressed the extra gears button (whatever it's called in game, in real life it'd be called the splitter) only 12 speeds showed up. Also, in the truck with the 16 speed the gears jumped from 4 to 7 to 10 to 13 and to 16, so maybe he was just extremly lazy and or maybe it's not really gonna be a 16 speed at all, but just a ''you can't actually change gears 16 times, you can only do it 12 times and the game will just skip a few instead.''.
-As I mentioned, the game map appears to be on the small size, but it's really detailed! No more copy-paste ETS 2 crap.
-It looks way more challenging than ETS 2. ETS 2 was just monotonous highways and copy-paste, easy to drive in crap cities, but that has changed. Ironicly the roads in smaller towns will probably be way smaller than the roads in ETS 2's cities and some of the pick-up and drop-off points seem pretty hard to squeeze in- and out of as opposed to ETS 2's massive and empty yards.

Seven

The Dickhead
Aug 25, 2014
UK
lx-fx.co.uk
Ooooh, lucky me, I could watch the entire thing. Guess it must've been made private while I was watching it.

So for everyone who can't watch it: it looks like ETS 2, but with actual challenges and a waaaaay better map.

I'll just state what I dislike about ATS already though:
-The map's pretty darn small. It looks detailed but yeah... Still small.
-The roads look way too clean (same problem as the eastern-European countries had in ETS 2). US roads, especially in the south due to the heat/poor government decisions concerning infrastructure, are kind of crap. Still not eastern-European bad, but just not as smooth and non-drammatic as they seem to appair in ATS.
-And I must admit that I was a bit disappointed at one point though. When he drove through the Nevada desert I saw a lot of... plants appear out of thin air which were pretty close by. I can sort of excuse it when plants flicker in and out of existence from far away, but yeah, it was very noticable.
-SCS, this is not a weigh station!!!:
Cat%20Scales.jpg

this is a scale, these are the things you can find at truckstops and are not mandatory!

this is a weigh station!!!:
138041.jpg

Learn the freacking difference!

Sorry, but I find it rather annoying as it's such a missed oppertunity to add something new and cool in, but they blew it as far as I could see on the video. On the highway between LV and LA there was a truckstop with such a CAT scale (heck, it was even the type of yellow), but the highway sign clearly read WEIGH STATION.

Things I did like:
-Different transmissions! Woohoo! I saw that a base daycab KW (or was it a Pete? We will never know...) had a 10 speed Eaten-Fuller as standard (could've been a spoof name like Eat'N'FillHer as well, I didn't pay enough attention to it) and one of the trucks he was driving had 16 speeds.
Little disclaimer on the 16 speed transmission part: the option-menu in the beginning (same as in ETS 2) only showed 12 gears on the H-shifter patern thingy. He choose the ''splitter'' gear box and when he pressed the extra gears button (whatever it's called in game, in real life it'd be called the splitter) only 12 speeds showed up. Also, in the truck with the 16 speed the gears jumped from 4 to 7 to 10 to 13 and to 16, so maybe he was just extremly lazy and or maybe it's not really gonna be a 16 speed at all, but just a ''you can't actually change gears 16 times, you can only do it 12 times and the game will just skip a few instead.''.
-As I mentioned, the game map appears to be on the small size, but it's really detailed! No more copy-paste ETS 2 crap.
-It looks way more challenging than ETS 2. ETS 2 was just monotonous highways and copy-paste, easy to drive in crap cities, but that has changed. Ironicly the roads in smaller towns will probably be way smaller than the roads in ETS 2's cities and some of the pick-up and drop-off points seem pretty hard to squeeze in- and out of as opposed to ETS 2's massive and empty yards.
Thanks for the details! It's a shame SCS aren't paying attention to the details. You'd think they visit even just for a few days to drive around and see what the typical highway offers.

Speedy

Pro Trucker ;)
Jan 1, 2014
US
www.ptvtc.com
My thinking is, yes there is things that could be fixed. But Its the stock game, there will not be any mods for at least a week or so. So with the current state of the game in the video is fine by me. Yes right now the Map is small, but with the all the map makers that will be making maps and SCS still plans to expand the map. So for this being a starter of the game, Its very good.

Advertisement

I'm affraid this goes both ways. There will be both EU and US trucks modded , just like you can have US and EU trucks for ETS2.
I'm guessing there will be a boom of american trucks beeing modded for ATS - we all know - those trucks we would love to drive in ATS but SCS didn't implement them in the base game.
Peterbilt 351 and Freightliner FLB comes to mind.

Jul 31, 2014
Oh yeah, now that you're talking about trucks:
Another thing I disliked:
In the video he could only pick one of the KWs (not the W900) and the Peterbilt.
So I'm actually guessing that this was a video of a very old alpha build? They showed off the W900 so much as well... Heck, probably the first truck they have showed as it's such an icon actually. I doubt it that it isn't going to be a drivable truck from the beginning.

If it'd be a video from an old alpha build that would also explain the flickering plants and such.

Advertisement

I see it being a great game, with lots of great detail. But I just feel like we are going to be nickel and dimed to death for some
SCS Software has never charged for trucks and I doubt they will for ATS, but you never know, but its guaranteed they will for some states, how many states and how much they charge for them is what we don't know and wont know until a few months after release...

SCS Software has never charged for trucks and I doubt they will for ATS, but you never know, but its guaranteed they will for some states, how many states and how much they charge for them is what we don't know and wont know until a few months after release...

True that is one big thing I'm kinda wondering about, but again we know nothing until the release date. So we will see I guess, just want it to be here already so I can jump in and drive!

Advertisement

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

Users who are viewing this thread