Using Mac or Linux with ETS2 Your experiences

edjon2000uk

Aug 6, 2015
Favourite Truck
Volvo
Hello everyone,

I noticed that there was not much information on here about running Euro Truck Simulator 2 for people that have Mac or Linux machines which have to use OpenGL rather than DirectX, so I thought it might be an idea to create a thread about this for you to post your opinions, ideas and experiences.

With Steam now available to Linux users and I imagine Mac as well (I don't own a Mac, so I don't know for sure), a large number of games are making an appearance on these platforms including Euro Truck Simulator 2.

When running ETS2 on a non-windows platform using OpenGL, the base game works fine but certain mods have issues including random crashes, corrupted text and general graphics glitches such as weird texture appearances, the best example I saw was the wall where a load of street signs were overlaid somewhere in France, if I can find the image I will post it here.

Since then a few of the bigger map modders have tried their best to correct these issues, just recently, MandelSoft at ProMods has released an OpenGL patch that fixes a lot of the problems on their map, further details about that are available here.

I will now look for that image lol

edit... Here it is:-

Last edited:

David.Ikaël

Long time virtual driver
Jun 24, 2014
Favourite Truck
Scania
I think the major part of the community of ETS2 have Windows (like me).
So I can't tell you something about Mac or Linux :p
But I know that @Max uses Mac (and he has Windows too). ;)

edjon2000uk

Aug 6, 2015
Favourite Truck
Volvo
Yes probably David but I just thought I would open a thread for anyone that is using Linux Or Mac for them to post their thoughts, The reason I came across it is because I dual boot Windows and Linux and wondered why there were differences between Windows DirectX and Mac/Linux OpenGL versions of the game especially with map mods, I do remember a lot of other games in the past that only used OpenGL even on Windows.

Reactions: David.Ikaël

Max

TruckSim.Org Ops Manager
Administrator
Jan 12, 2014
Favourite Truck
Volvo
I think the major part of the community of ETS2 have Windows (like me).
So I can't tell you something about Mac or Linux :p
But I know that @Max uses Mac (and he has Windows too). ;)
I do indeed!

Never actually played the Mac version, only ever running windows :)

Reactions: David.Ikaël

edjon2000uk

Aug 6, 2015
Favourite Truck
Volvo
You know Max, it might be worthwhile just trying it out if you have the steam version, sadly, I don't have access to a mac but on my linux install it runs ok apart from a rubbish frame rate at times, probably because my computer is not exactly gaming spec to start with :(

Mar 4, 2015
Favourite Truck
DAF
I have Windows 10 and Ubuntu 14.04, I don't notice much difference really. Sometimes my framerate is a bit higher on Windows, sometimes on Linux. Too bad ETS2MP is not available on Ubuntu :(