Unbelievable crash involves 3 semi trucks and a car. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Advertisement

About a month ago, there was a 193 car pileup on Interstate-94 in Michigan. It was caused by a blizzard. Because no one could see very far in front of them, many didn't have enough time to stop or get out of the way, and well, you know, they crashed into the back of each other. Cars, SUVs, 18 Wheelers too. There is some video of it, just search "150 car pileup, Michigan I-94". But be aware, it is pretty disturbing, no gore that you can see. But the sound of the cars/trucks hitting was enough to make my spine shiver. Fortunately/unfortunately, there was only 1 death from all that mess.

Yeah, I was there. Not involved, luckily the storm broke just enough for me to see obstacles in my way to slow and stop. It was one of the longest days of my life.

It is called the lake effect fog, it unfortunately followed the blizzard and created whiteout conditions in just seconds. You literally had no time to react before you slam into the guy you can't see slowing down in front of you. The fog was only there for like 2 minutes before it faded it was at that point I came upon the wrecks. Sadly there was no avoiding this accident.

Yeah, I was there. Not involved, luckily the storm broke just enough for me to see obstacles in my way to slow and stop. It was one of the longest days of my life.

It is called the lake effect fog, it unfortunately followed the blizzard and created whiteout conditions in just seconds. You literally had no time to react before you slam into the guy you can't see slowing down in front of you. The fog was only there for like 2 minutes before it faded it was at that point I came upon the wrecks. Sadly there was no avoiding this accident.

Yeah, there are some things that are just unavoidable. But, as long as you are actually paying attention to the road, your speed, other conditions, etc., you can typically avoid certain outcomes. This is one thing that ETS 2 has taught me well haha. I'll be driving along and I will check my phone, next thing I know, I'm running off the road, rear ending someone, or I miss my exit. But, better in a video game than real life.

Advertisement

Yeah, there are some things that are just unavoidable. But, as long as you are actually paying attention to the road, your speed, other conditions, etc., you can typically avoid certain outcomes. This is one thing that ETS 2 has taught me well haha. I'll be driving along and I will check my phone, next thing I know, I'm running off the road, rear ending someone, or I miss my exit. But, better in a video game than real life.

Tsk, don't text and drive. ;)

I'm strongly against texting and driving, trust me. But I am somewhat of a hypocrite. While I'm driving, I tend to keep my phone in the center console cup holder, and I'll reach down to change a song, usually I don't have to look down, but sometimes I do if I can't find the button. If no one is around me, and I'm on a straight section of the road, I sometimes might try to read a text to see if it's important enough for me to pull over and respond or just wait. Although, I will say, I never touch my phone if I'm in heavy traffic, or even have cars next to me period. It's usually just when I'm alone. Still, distracted driving is distracted driving. But I know I'm a part of the problem, I don't go around acting like I'm Mr. Perfect.

Seven

The Dickhead
Aug 25, 2014
UK
lx-fx.co.uk
@Moose - I'd recommend a windscreen mount. When I get a car I'll be buying one as I'll use my cell for GPS but I'll also be buying it with a bluetooth earpiece and downloading the free Android app "Car Dashdroid" and it will read your texts through the earpiece and you can respond via speaking. Totally handsfree, until you need to change a song but then again car stereo's ain't handsfree as standard.

But yes, I'm also heavily against using a phone while driving. IMO you can control a car well enough as long as you're looking at the road at all times with both your hands available to control the car. If you're holding a phone you're doing neither, dash mounts and bluetooth headsets although they'll still distract, just not as much and I'd rather have my texts read out than to anticipate whether it's serious or not.

Nobody is a perfect driver, I even see cab drivers and police (the supposed "professional drivers") acting like twonks.

Yeah the police are the worst offenders.

I had one state trooper pass me while using his laptop, he drifted into my lane and I would have tboned him had I not rode my air horns. He pulled me over, the ass, asked me why I used my air horns. I explained it to home and he refused to believe me. He was going to write me ticket but I pointed to my dash cam and he sobered quickly, apologized to me and let me go. :cool:

Advertisement

Sophisticated-Cat.jpg

After I get a car, that is :D

@Moose - I'd recommend a windscreen mount. When I get a car I'll be buying one as I'll use my cell for GPS but I'll also be buying it with a bluetooth earpiece and downloading the free Android app "Car Dashdroid" and it will read your texts through the earpiece and you can respond via speaking. Totally handsfree, until you need to change a song but then again car stereo's ain't handsfree as standard.

But yes, I'm also heavily against using a phone while driving. IMO you can control a car well enough as long as you're looking at the road at all times with both your hands available to control the car. If you're holding a phone you're doing neither, dash mounts and bluetooth headsets although they'll still distract, just not as much and I'd rather have my texts read out than to anticipate whether it's serious or not.

Nobody is a perfect driver, I even see cab drivers and police (the supposed "professional drivers") acting like twonks.

Yeah, I've thought about getting one of those. Currently, I'm trying to save my money. I only drive my mom's car when she isn't using it. About to buy my first car in a week or two. Have to figure out insurance and all that, and then work on getting a second job as my first one isn't paying enough for me to handle all the money I'm going to be spending soon. Whenever I check my phone, and am driving, I usually pull the phone up to the steering wheel so I can maintain some grip on the wheel, and my eyes aren't fully away from the road. Still not 100% focused, but I find that it is better than looking down.

Once I get my car, however, I won't be using my phone at all as I will be more worried about getting used to the new vehicle, how it handles, what it's limits are and what my new limits are, etc.

Seven

The Dickhead
Aug 25, 2014
UK
lx-fx.co.uk
but I pointed to my dash cam and he sobered quickly, apologized to me and let me go. :cool:

That just makes my blood boil - he obviously knew he was wrong yet because he wears a badge he was still going to sit on his high horse. What a douche.

I've been saying it since I got here. I highly recommend a dashcam/alternate video recorder for any road user to record the events in front (or around) the car just so it covers your ass when any problems arise.

I'll be saying what I saw in today's drive over on this thread and why I wish I had blue lights on my grill now and again.

Seven

The Dickhead
Aug 25, 2014
UK
lx-fx.co.uk
Yeah, that seems really sketchy. But also, thank you for not jumping to conclusions and thinking that EVERY police officer is a douche.
That's the thing, not every police officer is out to get you. However it is very easy to think that because the minority of dumbasses screw up the reputation for everyone else. Car insurance for example, they'll charge me twice the worth of my car (when I buy one) because of how the rest of my age group drives. Facepalm every time :P

That's the thing, not every police officer is out to get you. However it is very easy to think that because the minority of dumbasses screw up the reputation for everyone else. Car insurance for example, they'll charge me twice the worth of my car (when I buy one) because of how the rest of my age group drives. Facepalm every time :p

That's actually not entirely true. Sometimes. It depends on multiple factors. Like, the car you're driving, its mileage, and it's engine. Like the car I'm looking at, a 1992 Crown Victoria LX. It's 23 years old, has 160k miles, and a V8. The insurance quote I got was about low-medium range since it is an old car, it's been used, but it has an decent engine. My record is still clean after driving for after a year, and also my mom belongs to a really good insurance company. So everything is kind of working in my favor.

I'm also only getting liability insurance, not insurance to replace the car. I'm only paying $2,000 for the car and its probably barely even worth that much. So it's not really "worth it" to pay monthly fees to cover the cost for the new car/repairs in the off-chance that I total this one.

Advertisement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread