UKDT and LOTUS (1 Viewer)

iomex

UKDT
Dec 10, 2015
In short - we have absolutely no intention of having anything to do with LOTUS in the near future. Right now we have invested too much into OMSI to stop now, and it would be unfair for the tens of thousands of active players to be made to switch platform and introduce a huge delay in current projects to migrate over.

The UK community is just finding its feet with OMSI, we've been slow to the draw but we're not going to drop everything right as we're getting going. There isn't really much interest from ANY developer to bother with LOTUS, so until there are overwhelming and compelling reasons to switch, along with migration tools for maps, vehicles and objects, it's just not happening.

LeylandNationalStagecoach

Developer
Outreach
Jun 28, 2018
Fayton Heath, Caldshire
In short - we have absolutely no intention of having anything to do with LOTUS in the near future. Right now we have invested too much into OMSI to stop now, and it would be unfair for the tens of thousands of active players to be made to switch platform and introduce a huge delay in current projects to migrate over.

The UK community is just finding its feet with OMSI, we've been slow to the draw but we're not going to drop everything right as we're getting going. There isn't really much interest from ANY developer to bother with LOTUS, so until there are overwhelming and compelling reasons to switch, along with migration tools for maps, vehicles and objects, it's just not happening.
Yes, I have to agree with that... and actually, I'm happy that you'll stick with OMSI 2, for the current projects at least.
Firstly, I haven't even got LOTUS yet, and secondly, it is still very much in early access. I don't think it would even qualify as a game per se, more like a sandbox vehicle simulator.

Sidenote: With porting objects, I don't think it would be that much of an issue to port for example a house over from OMSI 2 to LOTUS, because it's just a model with a texture on it. But with maps and vehicles, yes, you're right.

I really do think OMSI 2 is the way to go (at least for now), with future maps and vehicles.
The audience is much bigger, which means a lot more people will be able able to appreciate the work you do for it.
Because, say if you'd somehow manage to put the C400R model into LOTUS, and get everything working again, sure, the bus would look good, and you'd be able to drive it, but really... that's about it. There wouldn't be any like UK road signage assets for it, no maps, and also, no routes.

You wouldn't be able to do a route, get passengers, and get the screen with how well you did at the end. Because you aren't even able to start the route,
because routes aren't in the game yet. So yes, I agree that we should leave the LOTUS devs Marcel and Janine to their thing, and maybe take a new look at LOTUS some time in the future again. ;)

In conclusion, thank you @iomex for keeping us informed on what's going on, and I do look forward to any other news you might have for us in the future. :)

Advertisement

LT586

Was Living in the editor
Oct 25, 2016
North
Glad it's not just me who things LOTUS is flogging a dead horse. Sorry to say it but if this bus sim genre was taken seriously we would of had another OMSI but much better in terms of the engine.

Yeap, OMSI 2 FTW until there's a suitable and exciting replacement.

Reactions: Tom9962

Developer
Outreach
Jun 28, 2018
Fayton Heath, Caldshire
Glad it's not just me who things LOTUS is flogging a dead horse. Sorry to say it but if this bus sim genre was taken seriously we would of had another OMSI but much better in terms of the engine.

I agree... but I think LOTUS might actually be suitable and exciting, just not right now. :)

Moskie

Fixing timetables brb
Jan 16, 2016
I agree... but I think LOTUS might actually be suitable and exciting, just not right now. :)

Depends on the attitude they choose to uphold from now on. I think they should probably consider learning from Dovetail's closed attitude when it comes to their new TSW - I reckon as quickly as they can get trains into Lotus (and fix the shoddy engine/graphics), they may be in with a fighting chance of huge profitability. I know a lot of Train Simmers are extremely disappointed with TSW and it's inaccessibility - Dovetail's 'for profit' behaviour is simply another huge spanner in the works too.

There's a window here where Lotus could take transport simulation by storm - they'd need to develop quickly and well for it to pay off though.

Reactions: LT586

Developer
Outreach
Jun 28, 2018
Fayton Heath, Caldshire
Depends on the attitude they choose to uphold from now on. I think they should probably consider learning from Dovetail's closed attitude when it comes to their new TSW - I reckon as quickly as they can get trains into Lotus (and fix the shoddy engine/graphics), they may be in with a fighting chance of huge profitability. I know a lot of Train Simmers are extremely disappointed with TSW and it's inaccessibility - Dovetail's 'for profit' behaviour is simply another huge spanner in the works too.

There's a window here where Lotus could take transport simulation by storm - they'd need to develop quickly and well for it to pay off though.
Truth!

LT586

Was Living in the editor
Oct 25, 2016
North
They chose to go with a game engine, DTG, that didn’t leave room for the end user, see Kuju, are actual game developers not ‘for profit’ like TML, even BS18 has an editor.

LOTUS is probably trying too hard, Microsoft have seen what’s going on and decided to re enter the market with what looks to be Flight Sim, but looks to be a world simulator. I doubt all that hardwork will be created again for another end of simulation

BigOmsiFan

The Real Guy, The Best Guy, Known as ButteredToast
Mar 19, 2016
Blackpool

They chose to go with a game engine, DTG, that didn’t leave room for the end user, see Kuju, are actual game developers not ‘for profit’ like TML, even BS18 has an editor.

LOTUS is probably trying too hard, Microsoft have seen what’s going on and decided to re enter the market with what looks to be Flight Sim, but looks to be a world simulator. I doubt all that hardwork will be created again for another end of simulation

Just remember how early production is with LOTUS, you seem to have something in your mind saying that it wont be good, your opinion could be true but no one knows where LOTUS will go. Even though the UKDT dont plan to do anything with it theres no reason you cant give it atleast a chance, you never know it might end up good. ????

Advertisement

LT586

Was Living in the editor
Oct 25, 2016
North
I’ve got an eye on LOTUS but it should of been completed before release. I’m showing my age here but games have always had bugs or things that were a miss but MSTS was released as a finished product, patches and such came somewhat after; there were a lot of holes but you didnt pay £50 for an early access CD Rom. Now with the advent of STEAM that level of quality control has vanished. There’s no end product, it’s a continual patch cycle

FirstEnviro

Developer of the Studio Polygon [Redacted]
Studio Polygon
Nov 1, 2016
United Kingdom
I think LOTUS is currently in public beta though?
It's a developer release. Technically it's not a beta. It's just to allow developers to get access to the game before hand so they can learn the mechanics of it etc etc. It's no where near a public release and such should not be treated like one.

Reactions: MylesW

Tom9962

Morden Man
Outreach
Jun 3, 2017
London, UK, Earth, Milky Way, Universe

Can totally agree with you, the community is getting better and more content is being released so why just abandon it and move to another game with 0 developers, maps, buses ect, £50 for a slightly better visual and stability of OMSI isn't worth it in my opinion.

Advertisement

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

Users who are viewing this thread