TSW: Great Western Express (1 Viewer)

Advertisement

Advertisement

LT586

Was Living in the editor
Oct 25, 2016
North
I understand it maybe a lot of loading and unloading RAM but how come TML can do all of Germany in a smaller scale and Dovetail struggle with going the extra mile. I am looking forward to TMLs Berlin bus sim. If you all have seen it!

Street cleaner
Forum Moderator
FF Council
UKDT
Premium Subscriber
Oct 24, 2016
It's all down to how efficient the game engine is and how optimised things are. And much of that depends on their resources. DTG's train simulator engine is still not all that far removed from MSTS meaning it's quite old and can't take advantage of the latest technology. The thing is if they change the engine too much it breaks much backwards compatibility with previously created content (and their many tonnes of DLC)

Compare it to RAGE (Rockstar Advanced Game Engine) that underpins GTAV which can stream a lot of detail on quite limited hardware (PS3, X360). But they didn't have to worry about keeping old DLC working and had a humongous budget.

Reactions: LT586

Street cleaner
Forum Moderator
FF Council
UKDT
Premium Subscriber
Oct 24, 2016
TBH I'm very much out of the loop, I just assumed because everything DTG have put out before was a MSTS derivative this would be the same! Having read up a bit I see they're using UE4 which is a completely different bucket of monkeys, the 3D models for rolling stock should be importable to TSW if the authors so choose, but I imagine everything else would need redoing.

TSW seems to be very buggy at the moment but I'm glad to see the systems are simulated to a much deeper level and there's a proper timetable. I'll watch it with interest in the coming months, it seems to be a solidish foundation that needs polish.

I also saw it's nearly £30 for the bundle but what's the point when it'll soon be on sale for a tenner?

Mystic Greg

Add-on London Team
May 22, 2016
Seems that Dovetail are gonna be streaming this tonight at 6PM. Will be interesting to see how it copes and what it is like
upload_2017-9-12_13-43-3.png

Reactions: XxSilentWraithXx

Advertisement

Advertisement

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

Users who are viewing this thread