Maps The Cornwall Project (1 Viewer)

Welcome to Cornwall for OMSI2 !
The map:
This the first extensive map I have created. In the past i have only created small maps consisting of a few baseboards (depots etc). The map will feature around the mid area of Cornwall, with the route originating in Newquay. The plan (at the moment) is to build the map to cover the following areas of mid Cornwall:
  • Newquay
  • Mawgan Porth
  • St Austell
  • Truro
  • Par
This list is subject to change as the build grows. The map itself is more built to represent rather than be exact, although google imagery is being used with some DEM to re-created it the best I can, But don't expect something that'll look spot on ;)

The routes:
The routes I want to feature are representations of real routes. These include:
  • A4
Once again this is subject to change, but gives you a rough idea of what id like to eventually create.

Updates for this map will appear when I feel I have something worth showing. Id rather people see good progress rather than seeing the odd bit of scenery being added. Any questions about the map, just pop on the thread. Please also feel free to give advice and any criticism.

Some early build screenshots:
unknown.png

unknown (1).png

unknown (2).png

Last edited:

Advertisement

jb1234

Creator of Cornwall in OMSI2
Aug 21, 2018
Update: 14/07/2019
In recent days, I have spent quite a bit of time working on the representation of the small village of St mawgan. Mainly a lot of Floral work with some old stone farm buildings. I have also spent some time re-working the seaside village of mawgan porth, although this is still unfinished so there aren't any screenshots of it yet.

Future updates should feature progress on Mawgan porth and Newquay Airport, which will require a bit of re-working before complete. The plan is to get the A5 route fully working prior to then moving onto other routes such as the 58 and 86/7, although this is still a long way off.

Below are some screenshots of St Mawgan:

LazyGuy222

Resident First Leicester Enthusiast
May 7, 2016
Leicester
In recent days, I have spent quite a bit of time working on the representation of the small village of St mawgan. Mainly a lot of Floral work with some old stone farm buildings. I have also spent some time re-working the seaside village of mawgan porth, although this is still unfinished so there aren't any screenshots of it yet.

Future updates should feature progress on Mawgan porth and Newquay Airport, which will require a bit of re-working before complete. The plan is to get the A5 route fully working prior to then moving onto other routes such as the 58 and 86/7, although this is still a long way off.

View attachment 48531

View attachment 48532View attachment 48533
Is that supposed to be 32097 by any chance

Advertisement

georgeloxton02

MendipXplorer veg
Apr 20, 2018
Somerset

View attachment 48531

This is looking stunning , well done! If you need some repaints dont hesitate to ask :)

Reactions: jb1234

View attachment 48531

its amazing how close to A5 it looks im so glad someone is doing cornwall cant wait to drive down the narrow roads towards padstow

iomex

UKDT
Dec 10, 2015
'ansome me lover :cool: Although one thing I'd say you ought to look at is bedding the road surface into the surroundings somehow. Given that you seem to use a lot of the same spline, it would be straightforward enough to change the texture to make it blend into the surroundings - perhaps by having some grass encroaching the tarmac at the edges, and a little weathering on the tarmac itself? If you look at Farthington, the rural roads do this nicely, albeit with dirt rather than grass:

1564208077125.png
Of course the problem then becomes when you need to transition this when you reach town.

jb1234

Creator of Cornwall in OMSI2
Aug 21, 2018
'ansome me lover :cool: Although one thing I'd say you ought to look at is bedding the road surface into the surroundings somehow. Given that you seem to use a lot of the same spline, it would be straightforward enough to change the texture to make it blend into the surroundings - perhaps by having some grass encroaching the tarmac at the edges, and a little weathering on the tarmac itself? If you look at Farthington, the rural roads do this nicely, albeit with dirt rather than grass:

Of course the problem then becomes when you need to transition this when you reach town.

Yes I agree with that. I have been looking at the roads thinking, that the concrete is too prominent. I will have a look around farthington and see how it's already been done, to give myself some ideas on how to create a similar effect on my map.

I have since changed some ground textures in that section of map, which has brought it to life a bit more. I will now go back and look at blending the road into those textures to make the road edges less sharp and prominent with some dirt/grass. I have in some locations of the map used the grass verge spline, but of course i can't do this everywhere.

Thank you for your advice and kind words! It's much appreciated.

JB,

Reactions: georgeloxton02

Advertisement

Advertisement

Users who are viewing this thread