Maps The Cornwall Project (1 Viewer)

Welcome to Cornwall for OMSI2 !
The map:
This the first extensive map I have created. In the past i have only created small maps consisting of a few baseboards (depots etc). The map will feature around the mid area of Cornwall, with the route originating in Newquay. The plan (at the moment) is to build the map to cover the following areas of mid Cornwall:
  • Newquay
  • Mawgan Porth
  • St Austell
  • Truro
  • Par
This list is subject to change as the build grows. The map itself is more built to represent rather than be exact, although google imagery is being used with some DEM to re-created it the best I can, But don't expect something that'll look spot on ;)

The routes:
The routes I want to feature are representations of real routes. These include:
  • A4
Once again this is subject to change, but gives you a rough idea of what id like to eventually create.

Updates for this map will appear when I feel I have something worth showing. Id rather people see good progress rather than seeing the odd bit of scenery being added. Any questions about the map, just pop on the thread. Please also feel free to give advice and any criticism.

Some early build screenshots:
unknown.png

unknown (1).png

unknown (2).png

Last edited:
The map:
This the first extensive map I have created. In the past i have only created small maps consisting of a few baseboards (depots etc). The map will feature around the western area of Cornwall, with the route originating in Penzance. The plan (at the moment) is to build the map to cover the following areas of west Cornwall:
  • Penzance
  • Long rock
  • Marazion
  • St Erth
  • Hayle
  • Caribs
  • St Ives
This list is subject to change as the build grows. The map itself is more built to represent rather than be exact, although google imagery is being used with some DEM to re-created it the best I can, But don't expect something that'll look spot on ;)

The routes:
  • T1
  • T2
  • A2
  • A7
  • M6
  • U4 (AI only)
  • 39A (AI only)
Once again this is subject to change, but gives you a rough idea of what id like to eventually create.

Where am I so far:
So far the main road infrastructure around Penzance town centre out to long rock is complete, with work next starting on building up the scenery within those areas. Work has also commenced in making some custom buildings for the map, such as some special signs and key buildings. For the meantime I have a lot of tidying up to do with the current road markings and pavements.

Updates for this map will appear when I feel I have something worth showing. Id rather people see good progress rather than seeing the odd bit of scenery being added. Any questions about the map, just pop on the thread. Please also feel free to give advice and any criticism.

View attachment 43849
Penzance Bus station slowly starting to take shape.
View attachment 43850
Testing with the E400 in Kernow Tinner livery (Mass amount of scenery work do here!)
View attachment 43851
Long Rock roundabout test (mid roundabout build- Deffo needs some work ;))
This is looking very promising! It is a beautiful part of Cornwall!

Advertisement

KernowKing's Workshop

King's Workshop - Repainter & General detail geek
Feb 28, 2017
London, UK
www.youtube.com
Hello!

Wonderful work, this map is an abseloute brilliant idea, and as Kernow’s #1 fan, this will probably be one of my most looked-forward to projects.

I have a little proposal for you.

I’m willing to join the development team of this project in a sense of Repaints, HOF files, Textures, References and the possible modelling of Penzance Bus Station in Blender, and I will use all of this to help you push Route T1 to Camborne and U4 to Helston, as this would make these routes somewhat more complete, and include a large country-lane crossed with sea aspect. I’ve travelled these routes a lot, so helping you would be my legacy. The extension to Camborne may also make it possible for the T2 to run a more rounded route.

Repaints are my speciality, so I’m willing to repaint whatever bus in whatever suitable livery for the map.

Keep me updated, and hit me a message on either here or discord ‘KernowTom#7458’

Ps: It’s the A17 not the A7 ;P

Reactions: RS1995

georgeloxton02

MendipXplorer veg
Apr 20, 2018
Somerset
The map:
This the first extensive map I have created. In the past i have only created small maps consisting of a few baseboards (depots etc). The map will feature around the western area of Cornwall, with the route originating in Penzance. The plan (at the moment) is to build the map to cover the following areas of west Cornwall:
  • Penzance
  • Long rock
  • Marazion
  • St Erth
  • Hayle
  • Caribs
  • St Ives

The routes:
  • T1
  • T2
  • A2
  • A7
  • M6
  • U4 (AI only)
  • 39A (AI only)

Where am I so far:
So far the main road infrastructure around Penzance town centre out to long rock is complete, with work next starting on building up the scenery within those areas. Work has also commenced in making some custom buildings for the map, such as some special signs and key buildings. For the meantime I have a lot of tidying up to do with the current road markings and pavements.

View attachment 43849
Penzance Bus station slowly starting to take shape.
View attachment 43850
Testing with the E400 in Kernow Tinner livery (Mass amount of scenery work do here!)
View attachment 43851
Long Rock roundabout test (mid roundabout build- Deffo needs some work ;))
Looks very promising , I go to Cornwall every year. Amazing work :)

Apr 2, 2016
Cornwall
Pronouns
He/Him
Thank you so, so much for creating Cornwall! I have tried so many attempts on this but have failed lol, I haven't been able to create Penzance very well lol. You have done very well, it even looks like Penzance already! Well Done, keep up the good work!

Reactions: jb1234

jb1234

Creator of Cornwall in OMSI2
Aug 21, 2018
Thank you all for your kind words so far. This project is ambitious and I'm making steady progress as and when I can. The map won't be a perfect representation, It'll like Botw in the sense of it being created based on a real area, just with a hint of artistic licence.

Next part for me is to dig my teeth into creating Penzance railway station building. Blender here we go! Once this building is in game I'm hopeing it'll make a huge difference to the look of the area.

Reactions: WTR33450

Advertisement

Apr 2, 2016
Cornwall
Pronouns
He/Him

RS1995

Badgerline Enthusiast
Jul 24, 2018
Somerset
Pronouns
They/Them
Here's something to water your taste buds:

Back in 2008 we see a Bristol SUS4A navigating the roads into Mousehole Harbour as part of the Penzance Running Day!
View attachment 43936

Now numbered the M6, and is usually operating with an Optare Solo (if they find one small enough ;) ) Mousehole Habour in the background.
View attachment 43937
www.cidercottage.com/blog/category/transport
Horrible ovens in the summer are the Solos.

Apr 2, 2016
Cornwall
Pronouns
He/Him
So OMSI decided to play up towards the end of this week, with errors with the imagery. But that hasn't stopped progress. Nothing major has happened but scenery is starting to build up. Hopefully a more extensive update will be posted over the weekend. Here is a screenshot for now:
View attachment 44084
That's beginning to look like Penzance already, keep up the good work :)

Advertisement

MylesW

i make things sometimes
Dec 29, 2016
I’ve been to Penzance before and I can say this is really looking like Penzance Bus Station now! Keep up the work buddy and please don’t hesitate to contact me if you need any help with this project in terms of the .hof file and any repaints that need doing!

georgeloxton02

MendipXplorer veg
Apr 20, 2018
Somerset
So OMSI decided to play up towards the end of this week, with errors with the imagery. But that hasn't stopped progress. Nothing major has happened but scenery is starting to build up. Hopefully a more extensive update will be posted over the weekend. Here is a screenshot for now:
View attachment 44084
Looking amazing :)

• Love

jb1234

Creator of Cornwall in OMSI2
Aug 21, 2018
Well its about time I post a bit of an update!

This week has seen the work commence on the St Ives area (Penzance was starting to irritate me! - ill go back there later ;)). So far i have spent some hours getting the terrain correct. Still hours of work away from being right, but I feel its heading in the right direction. I certainly have let myself into a challenge with all those hills around Cornwall!
kernow_DEM.png

As you can see above, the rail station car park and the main hill coming down towards the bus station has some basic infrastructure in place. I do need to swap some splines, especially the one coming up from the rail station car park, as it is a tad to wide. The main hill (the terrace) will give busses a bit of a challenge!!

If anyone has any experience with using DEM in OMSI who has any advice, then id be very grateful for some tips!

Well that's all for now,

Last edited:

georgeloxton02

MendipXplorer veg
Apr 20, 2018
Somerset
Well its about time I post a bit of an update!

This week has seen the work commence on the St Ives area (Penzance was starting to irritate me! - ill go back there later ;)). So far i have spent some hours getting the terrain correct. Still hours of work away from being right, but I feel its heading in the right direction. I certainly have let myself into a challenge with all those hills around Cornwall!View attachment 44351

As you can see above, the rail station car park and the main hill coming down towards the bus station has some basic infrastructure in place. I do need to swap some splines, especially the one coming up from the rail station car park, as it is a tad to wide. The main hill (the terrace) will give busses a bit of a challenge!!

If anyone has any experience with using DEM in OMSI who has any advice, then id be very grateful for some tips!

Well that's all for now,
I go to st ives every year . Looks great and really does provide a challange

georgeloxton02

MendipXplorer veg
Apr 20, 2018
Somerset
The map:
This the first extensive map I have created. In the past i have only created small maps consisting of a few baseboards (depots etc). The map will feature around the mid area of Cornwall, with the route originating in Newquay. The plan (at the moment) is to build the map to cover the following areas of mid Cornwall:
  • Newquay
  • Mawgan Porth
  • St Austell
  • Truro
  • Par

The routes:
  • A4

View attachment 45816
View attachment 45817
View attachment 45818
WHATTTT!!!!!!!! This is stunning!

Advertisement

Users who are viewing this thread