TfL Bus Discussion (1 Viewer)

D

Deleted member 422

So I was on the bus today and hard this announcement that saids “this bus is movind hold on” or something like that . I think it’s a good idea but also think it will get annoying. What do you think
It’s ridiculous because more often than not it plays after the bus has already begun moving. Kinda defeats the purpose and means it’s just an annoyance imo.
I noticed today the message has changed, to 'Please hold on while the bus is moving', so it still applies logically if it doesn't play quick enough.

I think the idea is right, but it is more annoying than useful. After all, who doesn't expect the bus to move??

Road-hog123

An Orange Bus
FF Council
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
Kent, UK
roadhog123.co.uk
Pronouns
He/Him
I'm sure they expect the bus to move, but they don't make the connection between that and that they need to hold on in order to avoid falling over.

From my experience of riding a service bus home from school for a couple years, many people will stand not holding on because their phone/hand bag/gesticulation is a more important use of their hands than preventing themselves from falling over when going over a hump-back bridge that's been there for years and shouldn't catch anyone unawares, but always makes most of those not hanging on scream because they're falling over.

Reactions: Deleted member 422

Advertisement

D

Deleted member 422

Fair point, I see people falling over all the time, for not holding on. Sometimes buses can be so packed, it isn't even possible to find a grab pole anywhere. I suppose it's one of those things that, give it a month, will just fall into the endless cycle of things we never pay attention too during our travels :)

LT586

Was Living in the editor
Oct 25, 2016
North
In Berlin it's necessary as an old man fell over as the bus pulled off and hit his head so it's something like Zie Fahrgester, bitte zu halten or something similar, so it's a copy. Like the Oyster is a copy of the Octopus card. One big Bus family lol

In other news, the 267 with LTs is superb, try it if you're able. A non central london route suits it well, it can actually run at 30MPH!

Advertisement

LT586

Was Living in the editor
Oct 25, 2016
North
Read this in an article.

The sheer frequency of London’s buses still makes this challenging. “Joining up the traffic light and bus systems is harder in London, because our buses run so frequently that they don't run to timetables,” Emmerson says. “They run to headways [i.e. ensuring a fixed distance between each bus], so that there is an even flow of buses down the route. That makes it much more complicated for the traffic signal systems to understand what's happening with the buses, but we're now getting there.”

For someone who said our buses run to a timetable. They do at Night but not in the day

Lukeo

Content Creator
Jun 4, 2016
London
www.youtube.com
Read this in an article.

The sheer frequency of London’s buses still makes this challenging. “Joining up the traffic light and bus systems is harder in London, because our buses run so frequently that they don't run to timetables,” Emmerson says. “They run to headways [i.e. ensuring a fixed distance between each bus], so that there is an even flow of buses down the route. That makes it much more complicated for the traffic signal systems to understand what's happening with the buses, but we're now getting there.”

For someone who said our buses run to a timetable. They do at Night but not in the day
There are many routes which run to a timetable during the day too, moreso off-peak.

Advertisement

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

Users who are viewing this thread