Maps Strathshire (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please note that some of the attachments in this thread are broken following a data loss in late 2016.
Welcome to Project Strathshire

This is a map made by myself, @ross4122 and is fictional throughout. I will use real life town and village names in the map in some places, but that's just because I can't think of any myself :P

In the first release of this map, I aim to include the following

• 2 routes. A Park & Ride route, and a Strathshire to Longforgan route. The P&R lasting around 10-15 minutes, the Strathshire to Longforgan route lasting 15-20 minutes depending on the route I chooses.

• A built up, historic looking town centre that looks quite decent.

• A dual carriageway/motorway, you'll only be on this for 3 or 4 minutes but I aim to extend it in the future after I release York.

• Unique objects and junctions. I know how to work the crossing editor quite well, so most junctions will be custom to the map.

Screenshots

Strathshire Bus Station

This is the bus station for the map. It's quite compact, and extremely tight so it will take some practise you manuover it correctly. I can get in and out in a tri-axle B9TL, and a bendy, so it's suitable.

View attachment 3666View attachment 3667

Hodge Street

After departing the bus station, you hit the bypass and then loop back into the Town Centre again. This is Hodge Street. I like the way it's turned out.

View attachment 3672View attachment 3673

Morgan Street

After going up a little side street, you swing a right into Morgan Street. Behind you is the bus station (it'll be right infront of you when you're driving), so you kinda get what the route will be like.

View attachment 3670View attachment 3671

Robertson Road

I've not built any of the bit inbetween the town/city centre and Robertson Road roundabout, so I've skipped and missed out a bit. Anyway, this is Robertson Road. It's the main road which leads into the hospital out of town. On the left you have Gibbs Park and on the right you have a mixed of terraced houses and shops.

View attachment 3674

View attachment 3675

You might just be able to see the petrol station up there on the right too.

Bremmer Way

Bremmer Way is the road up to the left which is buses only. It's hard to explain in text, but when the map is released, it's quite easy to see why. At the end of the bus lane there is a set of traffic lights which give way to buses and only change when you approach, however they need some tweaking so if anyone has expertees with the crossing editor/traffic light phases, let me know.

View attachment 3676

Queensway

Main ring road out of town. You may be able to see at this junction you can only go straight ahead in all directions, hence why there's two bus lanes.

View attachment 3677

View attachment 3678

The Garden Park & Ride

The terminus of the Park & Ride route. I'm not too sure what I'm going to do with the other route, if it'll just skip the P&R or not. But what I think I might do is have it loop into the trading estate, Longforgan and back through the trading estate and into the P&R. So yes you double back on yourself, but it's more driving time.

View attachment 3679View attachment 3680View attachment 3681

Few details now:

How much is complete?: I would say about 20-30% is complete considering I've started optimising and pathing the map up already.
What will be included?: It'll include one Park and Ride route running every 10 minutes, and a village route running every 30 minutes.
Is there an ETA?: As per the forum rules, please don't ask for ETAs. If you ask for a release date, you'll be asked how long is a piece of string and reported to a moderator. You've been warned!
Progress Checks: I've tried streaming the map, however the quality was fairly poor and it buffered constantly, so I'm afraid you'll just have to go through screenshots and written text.
What is Performance Like?: I'm trying to optimise the map as much as possible, for example using iomex's flora pack, and Road-hog123's corner pieces My computer is certainly are nothing to be proud of, but I can run most maps, so I'll try and keep the optimisation and performance up and the lag/frame drops down.
Can I have a Beta Release/be a Beta Tester?: No. It'll be part of the NESOT beta testing process, including the use of our 5 new beta testers.
Can I help out? Can I be a repainter?: No, but I appreciate your willingness to help out :) I will bear you in mind for future progress, however!

Known issues:

No pedestrians: That'll be fixed nearer the end when I get round to making copies of the pavement splines and putting paths on them.

Dodgy road markings: I've noticed one or two bits myself however if you notice any please let me know

Missing road signage: I've noticed a lack of this myself, if there are any mandatory road signs needing added let me know and I'll put them in.

Not got much else to say now, so thanks for reading up to now. If you have any queries and comments about the map just post below. :)

Last edited:

Advertisement

Ross

FF Council
Premium Subscriber
Apr 1, 2016
Dundee
YGGqYck.jpg

16wVAMa.jpg

Made the Sainsbury's entrance into a full signal-controlled junction. Still to be tided up.

Ross

FF Council
Premium Subscriber
Apr 1, 2016
Dundee
I think it's due to depth-perception; the railway is raised and very close to the road where as the Trident is at road-level. In addition, the camera angle isn't perpendicular to the Trident/parallel with the train track, so certain objects will look closer than they actually are.

Castlemilk37

98% Organic Human (may contain traces of asbestos)
Jun 29, 2016
1 Muriel Street, Barrhead
I think it's due to depth-perception; the railway is raised and very close to the road where as the Trident is at road-level. In addition, the camera angle isn't perpendicular to the Trident/parallel with the train track, so certain objects will look closer than they actually are.
Didn't realise the railway was raised, still looks great.

Advertisement

Ross

FF Council
Premium Subscriber
Apr 1, 2016
Dundee
First of all, I do apologise about the lack of updates over the past few months. Unforeseen family circumstances, and exams have resulted in lack of motivation and time to work on things in OMSI.

However, I have been back in the editor over the past week and I am rebuilding the City Centre from scratch. However I have hit a brick wall:

Using btv's Cardiff objects, and a mixture of Berlin M-R/Cotterell reskins in the city centre is becoming too generic for UK maps. I have been looking around for other buildings to use, but to no avail. Originally, I did not want Strathshire to impose a DLC dependency, so I want your thoughts on this.

Below, are two Strawpoll links. One asks if Strathshire should impose a DLC dependency (you don't have to answer this, if you wouldn't mind), the second asks which DLCs everybody owns. Doing this lets me see which DLC is the most popular, and which DLC to use buildings from. Bearing in mind I only have Berlin X10, Chicago Downtown, Express 91.06, Hamburg, Hamburg Hafencity and Stadtbus O305 (which includes Neuendorf).

Oh, a sneak peak of what I've been working on:

Last edited:

Yuki7144

Announcement Pack-er
Apr 21, 2017
London, United Kingdom
First of all, I do apologise about the lack of updates over the past few months. Unforeseen family circumstances, and exams have resulted in lack of motivation and time to work on things in OMSI.

However, I have been back in the editor over the past week and I am rebuilding the City Centre from scratch. However I have hit a brick wall:

Using btv's Cardiff objects, and a mixture of Berlin M-R/Cotterell reskins in the city centre is becoming too generic for UK maps. I have been looking around for other buildings to use, but to no avail. Originally, I did not want Strathshire to impose a DLC dependency, so I want your thoughts on this.

Below, are two Strawpoll links. One asks if Strathshire should impose a DLC dependency (you don't have to answer this, if you wouldn't mind), the second asks which DLCs everybody owns. Doing this lets me see which DLC is the most popular, and which DLC to use buildings from. Bearing in mind I only have Berlin X10, Chicago Downtown, Express 91.06, Hamburg, Hamburg Hafencity and Stadtbus O305 (which includes Neuendorf).

You could make your own objects and splines?

Ross

FF Council
Premium Subscriber
Apr 1, 2016
Dundee
Yes, but that involves a lot of effort. Obtaining suitable, and good looking textures, is very difficult, especially in built up areas. It would involve me going into the City Centre at the crack of dawn when the place is deserted...

Splines aren't so difficult, and I'm not worried about those as changing textures on splines tends to give the map a whole new look.

Reactions: KyleOmsi2

Rhys

Add-on London Team
Mar 20, 2016
Yes, but that involves a lot of effort. Obtaining suitable, and good looking textures, is very difficult, especially in built up areas. It would involve me going into the City Centre at the crack of dawn when the place is deserted...

Splines aren't so difficult, and I'm not worried about those as changing textures on splines tends to give the map a whole new look.
Yeah custom buildings are a lot of effort. It's the main reason why London takes so long. They're easy to make, but annoying to source textures for, plus you can get bored easily. Still give it a try, in a few places

Advertisement

I think you should use the freeware express 91.06 map objects if you want DLC objects, as that map has some nice bus stops (even though in french) and has nice large buildings from the "business park" like airbus etc. Also people wouldn't have to pay for other DLC to play your map, which might have some controversy.

Ross

FF Council
Premium Subscriber
Apr 1, 2016
Dundee
Yeah custom buildings are a lot of effort. It's the main reason why London takes so long. They're easy to make, but annoying to source textures for, plus you can get bored easily. Still give it a try, in a few places
Yeah, might try and get some textures tomorrow, and have a go. :)

I think you should use the freeware express 91.06 map objects if you want DLC objects, as that map has some nice bus stops (even though in french) and has nice large buildings from the "business park" like airbus etc. Also people wouldn't have to pay for other DLC to play your map, which might have some controversy.
I've never properly looked into the 91.06 map, but I'll have a look, cheers :)

Just saying - the creator of the 91.06 map has posted on a French forum (according to some French people I know who play OMSI) that the objects in 91.06 are strictly his and not to be used anywhere else and that he will 'threaten legal action' against anyone that does.

Just to clarify:
This is only something I have heard 'through the grapevine' if you like. I don't know if this is true, I don't have a link to it, and it more than likely is lost in translation.
But I'd stay on the safe side of things and not use assets from there if I were you.

Nonetheless, the route looks amazing as it is and I'm looking forward to more progress :)

Ross

FF Council
Premium Subscriber
Apr 1, 2016
Dundee
Just saying - the creator of the 91.06 map has posted on a French forum (according to some French people I know who play OMSI) that the objects in 91.06 are strictly his and not to be used anywhere else and that he will 'threaten legal action' against anyone that does.

Just to clarify:
This is only something I have heard 'through the grapevine' if you like. I don't know if this is true, I don't have a link to it, and it more than likely is lost in translation.
But I'd stay on the safe side of things and not use assets from there if I were you.

Nonetheless, the route looks amazing as it is and I'm looking forward to more progress :)
Hi, thanks for letting me know.

It'd be good if someone could find where (s)he said this just so I don't get into difficulties should I choose to use his assets.

Advertisement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread