Maps Strathshire (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please note that some of the attachments in this thread are broken following a data loss in late 2016.
Welcome to Project Strathshire

This is a map made by myself, @ross4122 and is fictional throughout. I will use real life town and village names in the map in some places, but that's just because I can't think of any myself :P

In the first release of this map, I aim to include the following

• 2 routes. A Park & Ride route, and a Strathshire to Longforgan route. The P&R lasting around 10-15 minutes, the Strathshire to Longforgan route lasting 15-20 minutes depending on the route I chooses.

• A built up, historic looking town centre that looks quite decent.

• A dual carriageway/motorway, you'll only be on this for 3 or 4 minutes but I aim to extend it in the future after I release York.

• Unique objects and junctions. I know how to work the crossing editor quite well, so most junctions will be custom to the map.

Screenshots

Strathshire Bus Station

This is the bus station for the map. It's quite compact, and extremely tight so it will take some practise you manuover it correctly. I can get in and out in a tri-axle B9TL, and a bendy, so it's suitable.

View attachment 3666View attachment 3667

Hodge Street

After departing the bus station, you hit the bypass and then loop back into the Town Centre again. This is Hodge Street. I like the way it's turned out.

View attachment 3672View attachment 3673

Morgan Street

After going up a little side street, you swing a right into Morgan Street. Behind you is the bus station (it'll be right infront of you when you're driving), so you kinda get what the route will be like.

View attachment 3670View attachment 3671

Robertson Road

I've not built any of the bit inbetween the town/city centre and Robertson Road roundabout, so I've skipped and missed out a bit. Anyway, this is Robertson Road. It's the main road which leads into the hospital out of town. On the left you have Gibbs Park and on the right you have a mixed of terraced houses and shops.

View attachment 3674

View attachment 3675

You might just be able to see the petrol station up there on the right too.

Bremmer Way

Bremmer Way is the road up to the left which is buses only. It's hard to explain in text, but when the map is released, it's quite easy to see why. At the end of the bus lane there is a set of traffic lights which give way to buses and only change when you approach, however they need some tweaking so if anyone has expertees with the crossing editor/traffic light phases, let me know.

View attachment 3676

Queensway

Main ring road out of town. You may be able to see at this junction you can only go straight ahead in all directions, hence why there's two bus lanes.

View attachment 3677

View attachment 3678

The Garden Park & Ride

The terminus of the Park & Ride route. I'm not too sure what I'm going to do with the other route, if it'll just skip the P&R or not. But what I think I might do is have it loop into the trading estate, Longforgan and back through the trading estate and into the P&R. So yes you double back on yourself, but it's more driving time.

View attachment 3679View attachment 3680View attachment 3681

Few details now:

How much is complete?: I would say about 20-30% is complete considering I've started optimising and pathing the map up already.
What will be included?: It'll include one Park and Ride route running every 10 minutes, and a village route running every 30 minutes.
Is there an ETA?: As per the forum rules, please don't ask for ETAs. If you ask for a release date, you'll be asked how long is a piece of string and reported to a moderator. You've been warned!
Progress Checks: I've tried streaming the map, however the quality was fairly poor and it buffered constantly, so I'm afraid you'll just have to go through screenshots and written text.
What is Performance Like?: I'm trying to optimise the map as much as possible, for example using iomex's flora pack, and Road-hog123's corner pieces My computer is certainly are nothing to be proud of, but I can run most maps, so I'll try and keep the optimisation and performance up and the lag/frame drops down.
Can I have a Beta Release/be a Beta Tester?: No. It'll be part of the NESOT beta testing process, including the use of our 5 new beta testers.
Can I help out? Can I be a repainter?: No, but I appreciate your willingness to help out :) I will bear you in mind for future progress, however!

Known issues:

No pedestrians: That'll be fixed nearer the end when I get round to making copies of the pavement splines and putting paths on them.

Dodgy road markings: I've noticed one or two bits myself however if you notice any please let me know

Missing road signage: I've noticed a lack of this myself, if there are any mandatory road signs needing added let me know and I'll put them in.

Not got much else to say now, so thanks for reading up to now. If you have any queries and comments about the map just post below. :)

Last edited:

Ross

FF Council
Premium Subscriber
Apr 1, 2016
Dundee
OK so been starting to put the road structure in between the town centre and Robertson Road roundabout (the big one which was an arse to path, still not finished yet!).

I've partially rebuilt the town centre as I felt that there wasn't a real high street.

High Street

New street that I've put in between Hodge Street and Morgan Street. Still a bit to do - alter some buildings, might retexture one or two. Kudos to @btv for these buildings, btw (apart from the one closest to the camera, which is a Freeman's temporarily)

View attachment 3891

Reid Street

This'll hopefully end up with traffic calming measures, not sure what ones whether they'll be full length or squared. Need to fill the area in on the right with something - not sure what. Any ideas?

View attachment 3892

Looking the other way (towards town) there are a few posh houses on the left next to a block of flats, and an M&S Foodstore opposite.

View attachment 3893

That's all. Feedback and constructive criticism is welcomed as always. 

View attachment 3894

Advertisement

Ross

FF Council
Premium Subscriber
Apr 1, 2016
Dundee
I have decided on the routes and frequencies;

Service 301: City Centre to Park and Ride Direct - every 20 minutes (takes about 9 minutes each way without invisible junctions so 13 minutes each way with 6 mins layover at each end)

Service 302: City Centre to Park and Ride Slower - every 30 minutes (takes about 14 minutes each way without invisible junctions so 20 minutes each way with 2-3 mins layover at each end)

Service 325: City Centre to Longforgan Village Service - every 60 minutes (takes about 20 minutes each way without invisible junctions so 25 minutes each way with 2-3 mins layover at each end).

Hope this gives you a scale of the map - I also aim to have some interworking going on along with perhaps a school service too but not too sure as these aren't "necessary".

I shall be posting some screenshots this evening whilst I get the High Street finished so stay tuned. :)

Reactions: Florence3099

Ross

FF Council
Premium Subscriber
Apr 1, 2016
Dundee
Ok, so some progress. I've started to work opposite IKEA, on the other side of the dual carriageway, which will be the location for Strathshire Community Hospital. Route 312, will serve this.

I've also decided upon the routes
301: City Centre to P&R (every 10 mins) - PVR of 6 (5 off-peak)
302: City Centre to P&R (direct, every 30 mins)
311: City Centre to Village (every hour)
312: City Centre to Village (every hour)

Screenshots in the spoiler below. Of course, advice and criticism is welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:

Advertisement

Ross

FF Council
Premium Subscriber
Apr 1, 2016
Dundee
Woo hoo I hear you say - an update! In the spoiler I have basically just taken a screenshot of every completed area of the map. I have uploaded them as thumbnails, mainly because there's in excess of 15 images and I didn't want to break the forums.

The Bus Station - quite tight at the moment so I am likely to tweak it slightly. In the second screenshot you can see where you leave the bus station, then make a sharp right onto the main road out of town. Also see the rising bus bollards, curtosey of iomex. _busstn1.png _bustsn1.png
Main Road out of the city centre, one-way system _citycentre1.png
Foxglove Estate - looks quite posh. But I guarantee you it isn't. A&E is just down the road, which is totally not-intended. _foxglove1.png
Gibbs Park area of Strathshire - with the park itself on the right just beside the bus. A bit to build behind here, as can be seen.
City Cente again - this time, it's the High Street. Hodge Street is the second screenshot. _highst1.png _hodgest1.png
The Hospital. I didn't want to include the bus terminal as it's a bit of a mess at the moment, some work is required there. _hospital1.png
On the opposite side of the road, you have the main dual carriageway out towards the countryside. IKEA on the left, as is quite clear. _Ikea.png
Longforgan - the farthest west and north where V1 will take us. A small village on the outskirts of a main city. _longforgan1.png
Dual carriageway. This time, the bus is heading back towards the city centre and P&R _mainroad2.png
Now at the Park and Ride - which is BotW inspired (hope iomex is ok with that?!) _pr1.png _pr21.png
Reid Street - now this is a posh area of town. M&S is there on the right too, which is one of the only unique buildings in the map so far. _reidstreet1.png
Robertson Road, just a little north of Gibbs Park. You can only cross the dual carriageway to help congestion further up the road, but there is still some effective traffic build-up. _robertsonrdflats.png _robertsonrdtraffic1.png
Smallcombe Estate. _smallcombe1.png

Please leave your likes, dislikes and comments below. :) Much appreciated, as always

_gibbspark1.png

Last edited:

Advertisement

Ross

FF Council
Premium Subscriber
Apr 1, 2016
Dundee
Quick update this evening. Basically polishing up the current build of the map, and finishing the empty bits off.

Still a bit to do in the City Centre, most of the 301 (City Centre-PR) is built, with the bit around Foxglove and the Trading Estate still to be touched up and built.

I have a release date set in stone, and a timeline of when everything is going to happen, but I'll let you guys know when nearer the time.

Colquhoun Road1 13-10.png
Morgan Street1 13-10.png
Morgan Street2 13-10.png
Reid Street1 13-10.png

Ross

FF Council
Premium Subscriber
Apr 1, 2016
Dundee
I'm pleased to announce that the first alpha copy of Strathshire v1 will be going out to beta testers within the next week. Therefore, if you see any people posting screenshots of Strathshire, don't be alarmed :P

I'll be posting an update here soon, with all of the updated textures, and partially rebuilt City Centre.

Lukeyboi

Lukeyboi's OMSI Workshop
Apr 5, 2016
Pronouns
He/Him
I'm pleased to announce that the first alpha copy of Strathshire v1 will be going out to beta testers within the next week. Therefore, if you see any people posting screenshots of Strathshire, don't be alarmed :tongueout:

I'll be posting an update here soon, with all of the updated textures, and partially rebuilt City Centre.
So, just to clarify, we can post screenshots of Strathshire on the forum?

Advertisement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread