Maps Strathshire

ross4122

Scottish Vyking Veg
Staff Team Leader
Content Control
Premium Subscriber
Apr 1, 2016
I think it's due to depth-perception; the railway is raised and very close to the road where as the Trident is at road-level. In addition, the camera angle isn't perpendicular to the Trident/parallel with the train track, so certain objects will look closer than they actually are.

Castlemilk37

98% Organic Human (may contain traces of asbestos)
Jun 29, 2016
I think it's due to depth-perception; the railway is raised and very close to the road where as the Trident is at road-level. In addition, the camera angle isn't perpendicular to the Trident/parallel with the train track, so certain objects will look closer than they actually are.
Didn't realise the railway was raised, still looks great.

ross4122

Scottish Vyking Veg
Staff Team Leader
Content Control
Premium Subscriber
Apr 1, 2016
First of all, I do apologise about the lack of updates over the past few months. Unforeseen family circumstances, and exams have resulted in lack of motivation and time to work on things in OMSI.

However, I have been back in the editor over the past week and I am rebuilding the City Centre from scratch. However I have hit a brick wall:

Using btv's Cardiff objects, and a mixture of Berlin M-R/Cotterell reskins in the city centre is becoming too generic for UK maps. I have been looking around for other buildings to use, but to no avail. Originally, I did not want Strathshire to impose a DLC dependency, so I want your thoughts on this.

Below, are two Strawpoll links. One asks if Strathshire should impose a DLC dependency (you don't have to answer this, if you wouldn't mind), the second asks which DLCs everybody owns. Doing this lets me see which DLC is the most popular, and which DLC to use buildings from. Bearing in mind I only have Berlin X10, Chicago Downtown, Express 91.06, Hamburg, Hamburg Hafencity and Stadtbus O305 (which includes Neuendorf).

Oh, a sneak peak of what I've been working on:

Last edited:

Yuki7144

Announcement Pack-er
Apr 21, 2017
First of all, I do apologise about the lack of updates over the past few months. Unforeseen family circumstances, and exams have resulted in lack of motivation and time to work on things in OMSI.

However, I have been back in the editor over the past week and I am rebuilding the City Centre from scratch. However I have hit a brick wall:

Using btv's Cardiff objects, and a mixture of Berlin M-R/Cotterell reskins in the city centre is becoming too generic for UK maps. I have been looking around for other buildings to use, but to no avail. Originally, I did not want Strathshire to impose a DLC dependency, so I want your thoughts on this.

Below, are two Strawpoll links. One asks if Strathshire should impose a DLC dependency (you don't have to answer this, if you wouldn't mind), the second asks which DLCs everybody owns. Doing this lets me see which DLC is the most popular, and which DLC to use buildings from. Bearing in mind I only have Berlin X10, Chicago Downtown, Express 91.06, Hamburg, Hamburg Hafencity and Stadtbus O305 (which includes Neuendorf).

You could make your own objects and splines?

ross4122

Scottish Vyking Veg
Staff Team Leader
Content Control
Premium Subscriber
Apr 1, 2016
Yes, but that involves a lot of effort. Obtaining suitable, and good looking textures, is very difficult, especially in built up areas. It would involve me going into the City Centre at the crack of dawn when the place is deserted...

Splines aren't so difficult, and I'm not worried about those as changing textures on splines tends to give the map a whole new look.

Reactions: Sylar

Rhys

Veteran Member
Mar 20, 2016
Yes, but that involves a lot of effort. Obtaining suitable, and good looking textures, is very difficult, especially in built up areas. It would involve me going into the City Centre at the crack of dawn when the place is deserted...

Splines aren't so difficult, and I'm not worried about those as changing textures on splines tends to give the map a whole new look.
Yeah custom buildings are a lot of effort. It's the main reason why London takes so long. They're easy to make, but annoying to source textures for, plus you can get bored easily. Still give it a try, in a few places

buttiebacon

Feb 13, 2017

I think you should use the freeware express 91.06 map objects if you want DLC objects, as that map has some nice bus stops (even though in french) and has nice large buildings from the "business park" like airbus etc. Also people wouldn't have to pay for other DLC to play your map, which might have some controversy.

ross4122

Scottish Vyking Veg
Staff Team Leader
Content Control
Premium Subscriber
Apr 1, 2016
Yeah custom buildings are a lot of effort. It's the main reason why London takes so long. They're easy to make, but annoying to source textures for, plus you can get bored easily. Still give it a try, in a few places
Yeah, might try and get some textures tomorrow, and have a go. :)

I think you should use the freeware express 91.06 map objects if you want DLC objects, as that map has some nice bus stops (even though in french) and has nice large buildings from the "business park" like airbus etc. Also people wouldn't have to pay for other DLC to play your map, which might have some controversy.
I've never properly looked into the 91.06 map, but I'll have a look, cheers :)

materieel64

Jan 27, 2018
Just saying - the creator of the 91.06 map has posted on a French forum (according to some French people I know who play OMSI) that the objects in 91.06 are strictly his and not to be used anywhere else and that he will 'threaten legal action' against anyone that does.

Just to clarify:
This is only something I have heard 'through the grapevine' if you like. I don't know if this is true, I don't have a link to it, and it more than likely is lost in translation.
But I'd stay on the safe side of things and not use assets from there if I were you.

Nonetheless, the route looks amazing as it is and I'm looking forward to more progress :)