Steam Struggling to Update Games, OMSI 2 Not Launching (1 Viewer)

Hello there (again),
Every now and then my computer likes to have a bit of a breakdown (being HP and all that), and it most recently seems to be having big issues with Steam and Steam Games. As of now, I haven't been able to run OMSI (it either remains as a background process, or the launching window keeps reappearing and disappearing), and I've been having major issues downloading updates/games. Take Payday 2 for example-I started downloading it, its got to 4%, and for the last couple of hours, no further. The network usage peaks for a few seconds, then the disk usage, but then both drop dead for what might as well be forever. Even the task manager says that no disk nor network is being used. I'm currently using a wireless internet connection to my hub (got an inbuilt wireless card), and I understand this may not help. Ookla SpeedTest says I should be getting around 50mbps in the download department. I'm going to take it to Knowhow at the weekend to try and uncover any problems (especially hardware), and then possible do a factory reset. My Steam Library is on my HDD, which is indicated as having problems.
Any advice on what to do and/or try, what may be causing this, and any explanations would not only be much appreciated and useful, but also comforting in a sense.
Many thanks,
Jacob
@Road-hog123 I though you may be able to help on this side of things ;)

Advertisement

As in, Windows has told you the drive isn't running right?
upload_2017-6-7_21-39-4.png

Is the drive behaving normally outside of Steam? If not, there's a chance it's hard drive failure, which can cause programs problems.
It's slow, but not really abnormal (although I have no idea where Cotterell has gone xD). I've heard that Payday 2 takes forever to download and update, so it may be just that, but other programs download and update just as slowly. I'm thinking it's either broadband (due to it being wireless), faulty HDD (I'll find out over the weekend) or malware (I'm running Norton which hasn't picked anything up, although I know it can have its own issues with Steam).

UPDATE-The problem still persists, although the fact that OMSI refuses to run is the main one at the moment. As I said, when I press play, the 'game launching' window appears, then OMSI appears in background processes, then the 'game launching' window appears and it disappears from background processes, and then it goes on, and on, and on. Doesn't seem to want to verify the integrity of game cache either.

Advertisement

Have you tried reinstalling Steam? Perhaps Steam needs it's own "cache" verifying... :tongueout:
Well...I've just had a friend round (knows his stuff about PCs) and we ran a few tests. Seems to be a problem with the HDD. Moved a few games over to the SSD that didn't run on the HDD and they ran fine. Moved them back over and they still worked, suggesting that the HDD is full of corrupt parts. Going to have a look at a new HDD and a fresh install of Steam, I think that may fix the issue. Thanks for all your help anyway @Road-hog123 , its great to have you here :)

Give malwarebytes a go. Norton isn't really the best antivirus program out there (Trust me I work in a computer repair shop and the amount of machines I have seen which have a problem with Norton is unreal!) Malwarebytes gives you 30 days of free real time protection but allows you to scan the computer as many times as you want. It usually picks up 99% of malware. I know o had malware and it caused all sorts of issues with steam and other applications!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

Users who are viewing this thread