Starting to make my first map, should I wait for LOTUS instead of OMSI? (1 Viewer)

Solution
D
I'll second what Road-Hog has said about people not immediately jumping over to LOTUS in favour of OMSI, similar to the TS vs TSW situation a lot of people have simply invested too much money (not as relevant as the higher cost in total in most cases for TS, but still the case) and time into OMSI to just abandon the collection they've gathered over the years. Especially with big projects like London still yet to be released, that in itself just adds to the matter because there won't be anything comparable in OMSI at least not in the near future after the release of LOTUS itself, so people will either stick to it or use both of them for whichever DLC's they feel like playing.

Even if some devs were to move over to LOTUS in the future...

Road-hog123

An Orange Bus
FF Council
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
Kent, UK
roadhog123.co.uk
Pronouns
He/Him
It will not be possible to port maps from OMSI to LOTUS, they use a completely different and incompatible system that will hopefully be a lot better.

However, there is no release date for Rails of LOTUS let alone Streets of LOTUS... and I wouldn't be surprised if it's 2020 before it shows up, given they haven't started work on it yet and are still very busy working on the core of the graphics and such.

It's also not like everyone is going to jump ship immediately as it's released either; people will keep playing OMSI until LOTUS can give them they experience they want in a bus simulator. People still play maps and buses for OMSI that were made many years ago, even though much higher quality content exists - unless a newer version of that exact map or bus gets released, they'll settle for worse quality.

With that said, spending time working on a map for OMSI and never releasing or finishing it does not mean that that time is wasted. The knowledge of how to use the OMSI Editor may only be somewhat transferable to LOTUS, but knowledge of how to recreate realistic roads, model buildings and create realistic scenery absolutely will be.

For reference, here's a screenshot of the level of my mapping skills after just a year of owning OMSI, with no prior experience:
Stratton.png
Like all of the maps I have started, this is little more than a couple of tiles, but just making something small and working on identifying where to improve it is enough to learn at least something. This wasn't the first map I made, and I wanted to make something good rather than just something, which is why it's better than several other maps that have actually been "finished" and released.

Reactions: RS1995

Advertisement

It will not be possible to port maps from OMSI to LOTUS, they use a completely different and incompatible system that will hopefully be a lot better.

However, there is no release date for Rails of LOTUS let alone Streets of LOTUS... and I wouldn't be surprised if it's 2020 before it shows up, given they haven't started work on it yet and are still very busy working on the core of the graphics and such.

It's also not like everyone is going to jump ship immediately as it's released either; people will keep playing OMSI until LOTUS can give them they experience they want in a bus simulator. People still play maps and buses for OMSI that were made many years ago, even though much higher quality content exists - unless a newer version of that exact map or bus gets released, they'll settle for worse quality.

With that said, spending time working on a map for OMSI and never releasing or finishing it does not mean that that time is wasted. The knowledge of how to use the OMSI Editor may only be somewhat transferable to LOTUS, but knowledge of how to recreate realistic roads, model buildings and create realistic scenery absolutely will be.

For reference, here's a screenshot of the level of my mapping skills after just a year of owning OMSI, with no prior experience:
Like all of the maps I have started, this is little more than a couple of tiles, but just making something small and working on identifying where to improve it is enough to learn at least something. This wasn't the first map I made, and I wanted to make something good rather than just something, which is why it's better than several other maps that have actually been "finished" and released.
I've started work with the OMSI Editor and found it to be convenient for what I need, thanks.

D

Deleted member 295

I'll second what Road-Hog has said about people not immediately jumping over to LOTUS in favour of OMSI, similar to the TS vs TSW situation a lot of people have simply invested too much money (not as relevant as the higher cost in total in most cases for TS, but still the case) and time into OMSI to just abandon the collection they've gathered over the years. Especially with big projects like London still yet to be released, that in itself just adds to the matter because there won't be anything comparable in OMSI at least not in the near future after the release of LOTUS itself, so people will either stick to it or use both of them for whichever DLC's they feel like playing.

Even if some devs were to move over to LOTUS in the future and make the equivalent projects for it, you can't apply that to every addon or mod that's been released for OMSI over the years, so ultimately there's always going to be something people return to it for. So I'd say go ahead with your ideas for OMSI, it certainly won't be dead anytime soon in my opinion.

Solution
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

Users who are viewing this thread