Starting a new project? (1 Viewer)

Advertisement

whistlehead

Alias Mr Hackenbacker
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
I aim to build an ALX200 from scratch. I am new-ish to Blender so know the basics. Don't know how it is gonna turn out or how long itll take
I always send people to this set of tutorials to learn Blender: 44090 Digital Models | Tutorials because they cover almost everything. The first few are for 2.49b, which has a different UI to the current version, but the last one is for the most recent UI. The first ones are more comprehensive than the last one, and are mostly still applicable, but you have to work out how to apply them to the current UI.

And go and take as many pics of the bus as you can, every inch of it.

On The Shires Buses

Centrebus Luton Displays
Jun 16, 2016
Bedfordshire
Im going to looks for blueprints and whatnot tonight. Aim to make a start but want to make it on the Dart SLF Chassis. My mate owns one (what a coincidence :p) however the bus is not MOT'ed so will have to try and source files somewhere else if circumstances don't change. I will use that bus for reference images if I can get down there but there are some ALX200's at Centrebus Luton (whom I do the destos for) which I could try and get images for. At the moment, I will be trying to use HQ images off Flickr and blueprints to model :)

whistlehead

Alias Mr Hackenbacker
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
I'm going to create my hometown of Grimsby but due to my inexperience with the editor, will only create 1 route to start of with. How many routes would be ideal for a map based on a town (we have 12 urban routes)

The answer to that is as many as you reckon you can handle. Starting with one route is very sensible, it'll let you gauge how fast you can work as well as learn the skills you need. Personally, I'd aim for three to five routes with a bus depot, enough to keep people interested.

Before you begin I'd recommend you start with a simple test map to try your hand at things - just a tile or two of scenic detail. Have you read the SDK manual?

KieronTreacher

The Senate
Jan 20, 2016
Grimsby
The answer to that is as many as you reckon you can handle. Starting with one route is very sensible, it'll let you gauge how fast you can work as well as learn the skills you need. Personally, I'd aim for three to five routes with a bus depot, enough to keep people interested.

Before you begin I'd recommend you start with a simple test map to try your hand at things - just a tile or two of scenic detail. Have you read the SDK manual?
I've got the SDK up now and I'm currently reading through it. I'll probably include the bus depot and 3/4/6. I'll have to work on it when I'm free from doing college work. I'm currently doing a short map to test the skills, but the advice is appreciated, thanks.

Advertisement

whistlehead

Alias Mr Hackenbacker
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
I've got the SDK up now and I'm currently reading through it. I'll probably include the bus depot and 3/4/6. I'll have to work on it when I'm free from doing college work. I'm currently doing a short map to test the skills, but the advice is appreciated, thanks.

In which case it sounds like you're getting off to a good start, I'll look forward to seeing what comes out of it

D

Deleted member 422

With regards to your question earlier about fictional of not, can you model buildings in Blender? This pretty much decides you're answer to that as well. Also, something else handy to do is to open up BoTW or Cotterell and see how things are done.

KieronTreacher

The Senate
Jan 20, 2016
Grimsby
With regards to your question earlier about fictional of not, can you model buildings in Blender? This pretty much decides you're answer to that as well. Also, something else handy to do is to open up BoTW or Cotterell and see how things are done.
Blender is another thing on the agenda for me to learn. My fictional map for me to get the grips of the editor will use any free assets I am allowed to use, but for the Grimsby project, I'll probably use blender to create things like the Dock Tower.

D

DVA_MEKA18

Im going to try and build an Optare Olympus and possibly a Scania Omnicity my local company doesnt have any Omnideka but they do have the other two but in the end i want to recreate the following in Omsi and make the Scania Army but i need to learn bleneder first

kPhZ_pwnG7MWMz6avT5Uog5nQR1W3YvQ.jpeg

Note it would be this Refurbished one not the normal

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 422

Im going to try and build an Optare Olympus and possibly a Scania Omnicity my local company doesnt have any Omnideka but they do have the other two but in the end i want to recreate the following in Omsi and make the Scania Army but i need to learn bleneder first
I would recommend the Omnicity first, although the Olympus is more popular, we have no decent quality single decker English buses in Omsi 2 (unless you count Josh) so I think it would be more useful. Always nice to see more people trying to create buses, I wish you good luck.

Advertisement

whistlehead

Alias Mr Hackenbacker
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
I was thinking about making a Bournemouth and Poole map, but I don't know anything about making a map haha. If anyone could show me a decent tutorial or lend a hand it would be greatly appreciated :)

There's an official SDK for the editor here: http://www.omnibussimulator.de/download/SDK/Manual_SDK_1_EN.pdf
If you work through that, it'll tell you most of what you need to know, and the rest is just try, try and try some more. Note that a few things have changed since that guide was written, but it's largely the same and you'll probably pick up on the differences as you go.

Best of luck :)

Reactions: Cam80104
I was thinking of making a Scania N94UD East Lancs OmniDekka whilst I still can as by the end of 2017, there will be none left in service with my local operator Brighton & Hove as they are all being taken out of service in line with new company policy where a bus can only remain in service up to 10 years. I am told they are to be replaced with Wright Streetdecks and it is reckoned by 2020 the entire fleet will consist of B9TL's and Streetdecks.

I know the basics of Blender and have read through the tutorials and collated some ref. pics and sounds (Sounds are WIP). I am learning slowly, so any tips or advice.

Reactions: RyanHemsley

Cam80104

Previously ChubzPC
Jul 22, 2016
Bournemouth
virtualbus.co.uk
Pronouns
He/Him

Advertisement

This thread is more than 9 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

Users who are viewing this thread