Starting a new project? (1 Viewer)

Hello all, I'm starting to make a new map based in the Kent and Medway region.
I'm first going to start of with the North West section, where I'll start off with routes like Fastrack A and B. I'll first start off with the Dartford and Gravesend area then move on to the Medway towns.

Any suggestions on what routes I should add in the future or have any other ideas? Thanks.

Attachments

• kent-map.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
Reactions: owen6116

Advertisement

The Mapper

Making irl bus maps
Dec 21, 2017
Kent
I'm first going to start of with the North West section, where I'll start off with routes like Fastrack A and B. I'll first start off with the Dartford and Gravesend area then move on to the Medway towns.

Any suggestions on what routes I should add in the future or have any other ideas? Thanks.
Hello, I assume you will include other operators apart from arriva to make it more varied.
ASD Transport
Nu-Venture Coaches
Red Route Buses - Which I just found out that I think shouldn't be on my Discovey Ticket map

I have handily already made a map of other operators of the area, and much beyond.
Here's a link:
It's probably out of date by now but there you go.

whistlehead

Alias Mr Hackenbacker
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015

Honestly, my advice to you is to settle in to making the routes you've already started. Map making is a long process, and it'll be a while before you'll be looking in to adding extra routes. Good luck :)

BKG93

Member of Studio Polygon
Jan 2, 2019
London, United Kingdom
Pronouns
He/Him

Adding onto what Whistlehead said, especially being the routes you've chosen you've got a lot of landmarks there with the Dartford Crossing and Bluewater alone. With the amount of time they spend on bus dedicated roads with the infrastructure they have there, anything beyond the A & B is looking well into the future. My advice would be aim small, the A is probably a decent sized route to begin with, you can always expand later on. Good luck with it :)

Hello, I assume you will include other operators apart from arriva to make it more varied.
ASD Transport
Nu-Venture Coaches
Red Route Buses - Which I just found out that I think shouldn't be on my Discovey Ticket map

I have handily already made a map of other operators of the area, and much beyond.
Here's a link:
It's probably out of date by now but there you go.
And yes I will consider adding more operators
With Arriva being the main one
and secondary operators like
ASD coaches
Nu - Venture
Redroue Buses
I might even consider more like Go - coach and Chalkwell too
But that'll all be for the future as I'm still doing the busway for Fastrack A at Dartford and I'll hope to show pictures very soon ????

Reactions: The Mapper

Hullian111

EYMS Buses Really Mean Business
Aug 5, 2017
... well, where do you think?!
thinking about spectras

In all seriousness, seriously considering giving this a shot, maybe even a version of this back in its full Belle Vue livery. I understand the... um, swirls (?) are bound to be a bit of a faff, but hey, operator's choice to keep the livery. Though some references of the rear would be nice - once again, nobody seems to be taking photos of the backs of Optare Spectras.

Advertisement

thinking about spectras

In all seriousness, seriously considering giving this a shot, maybe even a version of this back in its full Belle Vue livery. I understand the... um, swirls (?) are bound to be a bit of a faff, but hey, operator's choice to keep the livery. Though some references of the rear would be nice - once again, nobody seems to be taking photos of the backs of Optare Spectras.

Here's the back of it with Lords 2019/10/04 - Hull Fair - Dearingbuspix

Hullian111

EYMS Buses Really Mean Business
Aug 5, 2017
... well, where do you think?!
Aye, ta, will be using that in the future. Think I can kind of make out the old Belle Vue decals from the leftover sticker residue, so I'll see what I can do from there.

EDIT: Nevermind, had a closer look at them - guess I'll be doing a Steve Akiens repaint, too.

I'm thinking to start creating a large real-life map on my local operator, Stagecoach Hants & Surrey. I only tend to recreate routes that lie within my area, as some others travel to Guildford, Alton and Woking (which I'm not willing to recreate). I wonder how big can an OMSI 2 route get, as some of the real-life routes may take up to an hour long on a one-way trip.

Mendip_Bus

Badabing Badaboom
Apr 5, 2018
Bristol
Pronouns
He/Him
I'm thinking to start creating a large real-life map on my local operator, Stagecoach Hants & Surrey. I only tend to recreate routes that lie within my area, as some others travel to Guildford, Alton and Woking (which I'm not willing to recreate). I wonder how big can an OMSI 2 route get, as some of the real-life routes may take up to an hour long on a one-way trip.
It's perfectly possibly to make 1 hour + long routes in Omsi, however it's more the time it takes to create such routes, which is why we don't see them very often. If you do want to go ahead with the idea, I wish you the best of luck! :)

Advertisement

There is going to be a Routemaster with the Add-On London when that gets released, I'm not sure what an RT is though?
One of these, think this was the RM's predecessor
(My photo)
P_20190728_113621.jpg

i want to build either an rm or an rt but i dont know where to start and if anyone is allready doing these buses
That's going to be quite tricky to model, I think an independent creator made a London Country one a while ago but they are not intending it to become public as the bus has yet to operate with a conductor, something that in OMSI doesn't exist. Good luck trying to perfect it though!

apddy

Paddy
Mar 5, 2020
Lanarkshire
Hello all.

I am getting myself somewhat familiar with the basics of the OMSI 2 map editor, with the only still posing degrees of frustration being the panning of the camera, and my own level of determination to have perfection; something which I reckon is not always going to be possible when trying something as fiddly as OMSI.

That said, I do have some ideas for a potential new map and wanted to get a gauge of how ambitious is too ambitious for map-based projects on OMSI.

One of the ideas I'm toying with is making a map that incorporates the routes in my area. That would be in the North/South Lanarkshire area, with a select few routes stretching into Glasgow City Centre. A total of 26 routes (or 52 if each direction is considered separate) in mind, though of course some of those are spectacularly short in length and potentially not worth including.

This project would be more of a self-indulgent one, as I don't ever see myself managing to make something spectacular enough to be good enough for the wider community to want to use, especially when the area in question would be somewhat niche. So really the only thing I'm looking to check is
1) Is something of this scale do-alble, and if not;
2) What is the most ambitious project that's ever come off?

Hope you're all doing well,
Paddy.

Robert Snell

BJ11XGY the best bus there is
Aug 3, 2017
Pronouns
He/Him
I'm new to the OMSI Map Editor and have started a project based on the town where I live and the surrounding areas as I thought it would be cool to bring it to OMSI but I don't know where to start as I have never made a map before

PTDriver0429

Another StreetDeck decapitated by Diamond...
Feb 19, 2017
West Midlands, UK
I'm new to the OMSI Map Editor and have started a project based on the town where I live and the surrounding areas as I thought it would be cool to bring it to OMSI but I don't know where to start as I have never made a map before

Id watch editor tutorials on youtube. they are often a good place to learn the basics of map building.

Advertisement

This thread is more than 9 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

Users who are viewing this thread