whistlehead

Alias Mr Hackenbacker
Staff Team Leader
Forum Moderator
UKDT
Premium Subscriber
Dec 10, 2015
Hey, looks pretty nice. Couple of quick comments:

The centre hatchings on that road are backwards - the hatchings always face in the direction away from traffic, if that makes sense. I believe it's so drivers don't mistake them for road markings indicating a direction you should go in, though if you make that mistake you should really have your license taken away.

Grass areas often look a bit odd and unnatural when they have completely hard borders - it's sometimes a good idea to break up the grass areas by lowering shrubbery objects a long way into the ground so they just about protrude upwards. Just be careful not to make the spacing too regular, or it'll look odd and repetitive, which is unusual to see in nature. It works particularly well along the bottom of fences - it's always worth thinking about how things work in real life while building realistic scenery, and it's harder to trim shrubbery up against vertical edges like fences, in addition to the vertical surface encouraging their growth. I used it a lot in Farthington and the bits I worked on in BotW.

davidsb3

Beta tester for Arkala/ Maker of Silver Cross
Mar 19, 2016
Hey, looks pretty nice. Couple of quick comments:

The centre hatchings on that road are backwards - the hatchings always face in the direction away from traffic, if that makes sense. I believe it's so drivers don't mistake them for road markings indicating a direction you should go in, though if you make that mistake you should really have your license taken away.

Grass areas often look a bit odd and unnatural when they have completely hard borders - it's sometimes a good idea to break up the grass areas by lowering shrubbery objects a long way into the ground so they just about protrude upwards. Just be careful not to make the spacing too regular, or it'll look odd and repetitive, which is unusual to see in nature. It works particularly well along the bottom of fences - it's always worth thinking about how things work in real life while building realistic scenery, and it's harder to trim shrubbery up against vertical edges like fences, in addition to the vertical surface encouraging their growth. I used it a lot in Farthington and the bits I worked on in BotW.
[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the feedback much appreciated. Since these screenshots taken i have changed the hash so they are now correct.
And the other advice i will happily take on board :)