SCS Blog: Truck Licensing Situation Update (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 1, 2014
SCS Software blog said:
We still owe you clarification on the initial set of trucks shipping as part of the first release of American Truck Simulator. We have been postponing this post until the last minute, as the situation could - and still can - always change (and for the better only now), but we need to be clear at last on where we are.

Over the past year, we have been publishing quite a lot of screenshots and videos showing several in-development truck models. Our fans have quite sharp eyes and take note of all the details, so people are naturally speculating on what's coming based on those shots.

Until recently, we were planning to include at least four trucks at launch, and our screenshots shown over time reflected this optimism. Unfortunately, finalizing the licensing talks and getting all the vehicles past the approval clearance is taking longer than anticipated, and you may have noticed some of those trucks no longer showing in the most recent batches of pictures from the game.

The result is that out of the gate, the game will ship with just two trucks.

Thanks to kind support of PACCAR group, we are happy to confirm the presence of Kenworth T 680 and Peterbilt 579 as part of the launch line-up.

Kenworth T 680 licensed courtesy of PACCAR

Peterbilt 579 licensed courtesy of PACCAR

After the game is released and gets into media spotlight, we will have a very important tool in our licensing talks arsenal - a successful game (fingers crossed) aimed at the relevant market. Licensing talks are often resembling the "which came first, the chicken or the egg?" problem. To obtain a license in a highly specialized field, you just don't walk into a store and get it over the counter. Unlike car manufacturers who have extensive experience with being featured in racing games, for most truck manufacturers this is all unexplored territory. We always need to find a way inside the company to reach the decision makers at marketing/licensing department, and getting our voice noticed is not easy. Just getting the chance to get out point across is often all it takes, and with American Truck Simulator out in playable form and in the hands of customers, it gives us a crucial talking point.

When the game is out on the market already at last, when we can prove its impact on trucking fans at large, we hope for more of the truck manufacturers to pay attention, to realize that it's beneficial for them to participate, and perhaps even push us to hurry so that they are not left behind the pack. We have been through this experience with the launch of Euro Truck Simulator 2, when vocal support of our fans managed to bring the game to the attention to European truck manufacturers missing in the initial version of the game.

We have progressed very well on several additional vehicles, and in the weeks after release, we are confident that will get the clearance to start adding them to the game. We will be adding them for free of course as part of regular game updates, just as is the case with the ETS2.

Kenworth W900 will appear in ATS soon courtesy of PACCAR

Peterbilt 389 will appear in ATS soon courtesy of PACCAR
Now comes the time for an explicit disclaimer - any vehicles and truck brands you will see pictured below this point in text are here only for illustrative purposes, and do not constitute any guarantee that they will be appearing in the game in any particular timeframe. We have implemented them as an experiment when trying to get the door opened. As you can see some of them are already in advanced enough stage to be technically prepared for integration into the game world, yet more are semi-finished and not yet ready for integration with the game engine.

A beautiful truck spotted somewhere north of Los Angeles

A valiant truck driven across a landmark Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco

A Maya render of another cool but only semi-finished truck

Meanwhile, we are still hard at work improving Euro Truck Simulator 2. As we are showing a ton of North American vehicles today, we did not want our European fans to feel betrayed. So we thought that a teaser image of a new truck being readied for introduction to ETS2 will cheer them up today.

Renault Range T spotted somewhere in south of France

Source: http://blog.scssoft.com/2016/01/truck-licensing-situation-update.html

In the last screenshot SCS is teasing us. Looks like the next map DLC will be in France.

Last edited:
Reactions: David.Ikaël

Max

-- .- -..-
FF Council
Jan 12, 2014
UK
In the last screenshot SCS is teasing us. Looks like the next map DLC will be in France.

Also confirms that the Range T is on the way! Maybe some sort of French DLC and the next in the line-up of French built trucks will come at the same time? :p

SCS Blog said:
A valiant truck driven across a landmark. Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco
Edit: Just spotted this bit too! Been a while since I've seen Volvo being called Valiant :D

Advertisement

The result is that out of the gate, the game will ship with just two trucks.

I was affraid of this...

Hope they can add the Kenworth T900 and Peterbilt 389 really fast, like, in the first week after the game releases.
I'm not a big fan of those 2 trucks available at release, don't really feel like investing too much time in them.
Maybe stick with one of them to advance on carrer mode, but...meh...i'm a bit dissapointed...

I was affraid of this...

Hope they can add the Kenworth T900 and Peterbilt 389 really fast, like, in the first week after the game releases.
I'm not a big fan of those 2 trucks available at release, don't really feel like investing too much time in them.
Maybe stick with one of them to advance on carrer mode, but...meh...i'm a bit dissapointed...

I'm excited for that 389, at least over in Canada Peterbilt's are like the Harley Davidson's of the trucking world, and trucks with more air resistance seem to have more character to me lol.

Seven

The Dickhead
Aug 25, 2014
UK
lx-fx.co.uk
Two trucks is disappointing, but you have to hand it to them, the game is coming out for chips really compared to what we all thought it would cost. Especially with G2A and other website's discounts. Not to mention the Steam sales. Instead, I'd like to thanks SCS for their continued efforts to get us a still amazing looking game and the promise of continued development. :)

David.Ikaël

Long time virtual driver
Jun 24, 2014
France
steamcommunity.com
It's the best thread of SCS Software EVER !!! :D
I'm so happy ! 2 trucks at the beginning isn't very nice, but it means that we will (anyway I will) be so excited when new trucks will come out ! :)
The 3 lasts american trucks showed (Freightliner, Volvo, and Mack) looks awesome !
And, about the last thing in the thread..... IT'S FANTASTIC ! :D
I'm so happy (like you can see :p) ! The Renault T is what I expected from a long time now, so it's perfect to see a picture of it in the game by SCS.
And the background looks like (as you said) France ! So, I could not expect better ! :D
[EDIT] This is in South of France, like SCS Software said. :)

KAQ9nVu.png

Thanks SCS Software.

Last edited:

Advertisement

Looking a little more in-depth, would anyone else say the French environment looks vastly improved from the current vegetation?
Agreed, if you showed this picture to someone who doesn't play ETS2 they would probably think its real life, looks gorgeous.

Thats actually an International, International Lonestar :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't the same company that produces Volvo's in Europe make them for the US as well? Why is there a licensing issue for Volvo if they okayed it for et2?

Not that I care, I love European Volvo's but hate American Volvo's. :p

Maybe they have to deal with different licensing divisions, even though European Volvo's and American Volvo's are both under the Volvo umbrella they probably have their own marketing/licensing divisions.

Either way I'm just happy we get to play the game in a week. Idc that it ships with 2 trucks because we know there will be more after release. I just hope this game has huge sales on release so SCS can get more companies on board sooner.

Advertisement

I'm sure modders will take care of business just like they do for ETS2 , but the quality is sometimes...subpar to SCS.
I'm also looking forward to older trucks (the older the better) , but i doubt that's a priority for SCS right now.
Only time will tell

Yeah, sometimes the mods are iffy. But occasionally there are some gems, like the 389 mod. I'm really hoping we'll see mods for trucks like the FL FLD's/Classic's, the 379, the T800, maybe even a cabover or two, and a truck like the Mack Titan would be nice but I don't expect that to happen.

Kenworth and Peterbilt are my two favorite brands so i'm not too disappointed to start with the two trucks, shouldn't be long before we get more truck brands though.
I was hoping to see a Kenworth T660 but they will probably stick with two models for each brand and they will already have the W900 and T680. It probably wouldn't be hard because the W900 and T660 have the same interior. just have to make the exterior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread