Utility Software Sceneryobject Conversion Utility (2 Viewers)

whistlehead

Alias Mr Hackenbacker
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
whistlehead submitted a new download:

Sceneryobject Conversion Utility - A tool for converting various model file types to sceneryobjects

This is a program to make creation of sceneryobjects easier - it allows you to create sceneryobjects from model files without having to touch a text editor. It doesn't actually do any of the conversion itself - you need the external tools listed to do that - but it automates the conversion process and writing the SCO file so all you have to do is select the source file and wait.

View attachment 46005

It's primarily intended to make it easier to convert assets from...

Read more about this download...

Advertisement

whistlehead

Alias Mr Hackenbacker
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
Is this an alright thing to convert?
I'm not sure if 22,000 polygons are an ok amount or is that absurdly high for Omsi?
22000 is perfectly reasonable for OMSI, buses tend to be in the region of maybe 100,000-600,000 polygons. However, those aren't all converted in one go.

The restriction with the OMSI X converter tool is that the number of vertices in the model is stored in two bytes (16 bits), which means the maximum number of vertices it can handle is 2^16 = 65536. Above that it just crashes. It's a daft restriction but it's not something I can control. Unfortunately I can't tell you how many vertices are associated with each face, but if it averaged four vertices per face (which seems likely) then the OMSI converter wouldn't be able to handle it all in one go and you'd have to split it up manually in a modelling program.

The other problem with that model is that it's coloured using solid colours and not texture files, which can cause some exporting issues as Blender sometimes doesn't seem to bother importing faces which aren't textured, but I haven't got to the root cause of that yet.

Still, the worst that can happen if you try is the program will crash.

Also just to reaffirm what the title says - this is a sceneryobject conversion tool. It's primary purpose is to streamline the annoying steps of making a sceneryobject in OMSI, particularly manually editing the .sco files. It'll output a .o3d file which you can then use for other purposes if you wish, but if you want to make a functional bus then you should understand what's going on enough to do it manually anyway. Making a bus is an order of magnitude more difficult than making a sceneryobject, and is not something I can reasonably automate with a simple tool.

22000 is perfectly reasonable for OMSI, buses tend to be in the region of maybe 100,000-600,000 polygons. However, those aren't all converted in one go.

The restriction with the OMSI X converter tool is that the number of vertices in the model is stored in two bytes (16 bits), which means the maximum number of vertices it can handle is 2^16 = 65536. Above that it just crashes. It's a daft restriction but it's not something I can control. Unfortunately I can't tell you how many vertices are associated with each face, but if it averaged four vertices per face (which seems likely) then the OMSI converter wouldn't be able to handle it all in one go and you'd have to split it up manually in a modelling program.

The other problem with that model is that it's coloured using solid colours and not texture files, which can cause some exporting issues as Blender sometimes doesn't seem to bother importing faces which aren't textured, but I haven't got to the root cause of that yet.

Still, the worst that can happen if you try is the program will crash.

Also just to reaffirm what the title says - this is a sceneryobject conversion tool. It's primary purpose is to streamline the annoying steps of making a sceneryobject in OMSI, particularly manually editing the .sco files. It'll output a .o3d file which you can then use for other purposes if you wish, but if you want to make a functional bus then you should understand what's going on enough to do it manually anyway. Making a bus is an order of magnitude more difficult than making a sceneryobject, and is not something I can reasonably automate with a simple tool.
I was meaning to make it into a static bus of which there will only be a few on 2 max tiles
If I split it into chunks then it will be possible?

whistlehead

Alias Mr Hackenbacker
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
I was meaning to make it into a static bus of which there will only be a few on 2 max tiles
If I split it into chunks then it will be possible?
You'll only find out by trying. If you do convert it in two goes then you'll have to convert each part as two separate sceneryobjects, then open the .sco for one of them and copy all the mesh and material data into the other one

Advertisement

Street cleaner
Forum Moderator
FF Council
UKDT
Premium Subscriber
Oct 24, 2016
Nope. If it was a utility to convert buses it would be titled "bus conversion utility" not "sceneryobject conversion utility".

It takes many months to make a bus for OMSI even when you know what you're doing, there aren't really any shortcuts.

Elliemay

Banned Member
Jan 4, 2019
I wont let me add a texture file, i converted it to .dae

whistlehead

Alias Mr Hackenbacker
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
So in response:
- You don't need to add texture files manually for COLLADA, it says so right there. The file path is retrieved from inside the model file.
- That error means you have separated the executable file from its data folder and it can't find the necessary files to run
- If you're going to make, what is this, an eighth duplicate account to evade a previous ban, try not posting screenshots including your Windows username

Elliemay

Banned Member
Jan 4, 2019
So in response:
- You don't need to add texture files manually for COLLADA, it says so right there. The file path is retrieved from inside the model file.
- That error means you have separated the executable file from its data folder and it can't find the necessary files to run
- If you're going to make a forth duplicate account to evade a preview ban, try not posting screenshots including your Windows username
Its working now, i put the DATA folder on my Desktop

Advertisement

Whistlehead,
Many thanks for your scenery-converting tool.
I have enjoyed experimenting with it, with some successes and a few failures.
By success, I mean that the item has successfully appeared in Omsi 2 with all of its textures displayed. The failed ones have either appeared in Omsi 2 with a few textures missing – you mentioned that could happen with larger objects – or a screen telling me that I need to upgrade Sketch-Up to the 2018 version. I have Sketch-Up 2017 but, when clicking on the upgrade section, I am told that I have the most up-to-date version. [At the moment, since I have not used Sketch-Up very often, I am not for the time being inclined to pay for the professional version, but that might change.]

Now, as you might expect, I have a question. Despite having re-downloaded the latest version a couple of times, the ‘cube’ is still appearing with the item in Omsi 2. You mentioned in passing that the cube can be removed automatically from the start-up in Blender. Despite scanning through the User Manual and the Set Up Preferences section, I cannot find how to do this. It will no doubt be a very simple solution that I have missed, but could you tell me how to do it.

I hope that you will continue to develop this utility, as a large number of people will find it extremely useful and easy to use.

Regards,
Bruce Gauld.

whistlehead

Alias Mr Hackenbacker
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
Whistlehead,
Many thanks for your scenery-converting tool.
I have enjoyed experimenting with it, with some successes and a few failures.
By success, I mean that the item has successfully appeared in Omsi 2 with all of its textures displayed. The failed ones have either appeared in Omsi 2 with a few textures missing – you mentioned that could happen with larger objects – or a screen telling me that I need to upgrade Sketch-Up to the 2018 version. I have Sketch-Up 2017 but, when clicking on the upgrade section, I am told that I have the most up-to-date version. [At the moment, since I have not used Sketch-Up very often, I am not for the time being inclined to pay for the professional version, but that might change.]

Now, as you might expect, I have a question. Despite having re-downloaded the latest version a couple of times, the ‘cube’ is still appearing with the item in Omsi 2. You mentioned in passing that the cube can be removed automatically from the start-up in Blender. Despite scanning through the User Manual and the Set Up Preferences section, I cannot find how to do this. It will no doubt be a very simple solution that I have missed, but could you tell me how to do it.

I hope that you will continue to develop this utility, as a large number of people will find it extremely useful and easy to use.

Regards,
Bruce Gauld.

Hi Bruce,

Unfortunately the SketchUp 2018 problem has an easy answer - it's because there is no longer a downloadable free version of SketchUp which can be installed on your machine. There is a free online version, however, which might still be able to export .DAE files, though I have not experimented with it yet.

I'm not sure why the cube is still showing, as the program should now start blender with an empty scene rather than loading the default start-up file. I can't remember the exact procedure for replacing the start-up scene, but the principle is simply to make a completely empty scene and then change the start-up scene to the new one - I'm sure a quick Google will find the answer.

Textures missing could have a couple of causes - the originals could be in a format not supported by the program (at the moment it only looks for the .jpg and .png files SketchUp uses by default), or the models might be textured with block colours rather than texture files, in which case they will not survive the export process. I might see if I can make it accept block colours in the future, I have an idea that might work, but I would recommend not holding your breath.

I'm glad you're enjoying using the program, I hope it's helpful :)

Chris

Whistlehead,

Many thanks for your swift reply.

I have now found the answer to starting Blender without the ‘cube’ – it was so obvious that I feel really stupid now for asking.
The successful items are now appearing in Omsi 2 without the ‘cube’ being present.

I am now attempting to find ways to make the unsuccessful objects appear in Omsi 2 with all of their textures showing – so I might have to come back with another question.

Many thanks for your help.

Regards,
Bruce Gauld.

Advertisement

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

Users who are viewing this thread