[Scenery] Road-hog123's British Road Detailing Pack [Deleted] (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Road-hog123

An Orange Bus
FF Council
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
Kent, UK
roadhog123.co.uk
Pronouns
He/Him
Last edited by a moderator:

iomex

UKDT
Dec 10, 2015
For a possible future version, could I request a few things?

• Brown versions of the direction signs
  • Miniaturized versions of some regulatory and informatory signs -
    Idea being so they can be positioned infront of directional signs to indicate restrictions on adjacent roads, or to create car park signs, etc
  • Leading on from the previous point, a few icons with which to decorate direction signs - tourist icons, airport, national rail logo, etc

Advertisement

Road-hog123

An Orange Bus
FF Council
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
Kent, UK
roadhog123.co.uk
Pronouns
He/Him
Please note:

• CentreLine_Warning_100.sli
  • CentreLine_Warning_150.sli
  • CentreLine_Warning2_100.sli
  • CentreLine_Warning2_150.sli
  • SolidLine_500.sli

are old duplicates of:

• CentreLine_Warn_100.sli
  • CentreLine_Warn_150.sli
  • CentreLine_Warn2_100.sli
  • CentreLine_Warn2_150.sli
  • ChevronLine_500.sli

and will be removed in the next version (2.1). To ensure that transition is error-free, please ensure you have only references to the latter splines in your map(s).

Also to note is that Chevrons_####.sli are not chevrons at all, they're hatchings, and that they're backwards for left-path maps... thus to maintain compatibility, Chevrons_####.sli will be flipped but not renamed (which shouldn't be an issue), Chevrons_inv_####.sli will be the same as the current splines and Chevrons_both_####.sli will actually be chevrons.

Stop_Line.sli and Give_Way_Line.sli will also be depreciated with new splines created to replace them and as such will be removed in 2.2.

Several new splines I've discovered didn't exist have been added and the bumps these splines have been eliminated or at least reduced depending on the situation they've been used in.

Thanks for your understanding. 
vI3uoZ7.png

Florence3099

Prepare for trouble! Make it double!
Dec 10, 2015
Goldenrod City
www.flickr.com
Pronouns
She/Her
So the following splines:

• SolidLine_500.sli

should be removed before 2.1.0 is released

and Stop_Line.sli and Give_Way_Line.sli should be removed after 2.1.0 is downloaded as there will be replacements, and they should be removed before 2.1.1

Have I understood this correctly?

whistlehead

Alias Mr Hackenbacker
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
Is there a way I can easily replace those markings, or do I have check and replace each one manually in the editor?

Use Notepad++, select all of the .map and .prt files, open them all, then click "search", then "replace", and then replace _warning_ with _warn_. Then press "Save all" :)

Reactions: btv

Advertisement

Road-hog123

An Orange Bus
FF Council
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
Kent, UK
roadhog123.co.uk
Pronouns
He/Him
As a general rule I use 3 metre poles for the triangular and circular signs and 3.5 metre poles for traffic lights. Larger signs will need different poles, the actual pole height depends on the location, size of the sign and what headroom is required:

• The normal mounting height of a sign (measured to the lowest point) is between 900 mm and 1500 mm.
  • The height should be increased towards 1500 mm where spray is likely to spoil the sign.
  • Consideration should also be given to sign visibility, with signs mounted higher so as to be seen over other vehicles, parked cars or other obstructions.
  • Where signs are mounted over cycle ways, at least 2300 mm of headroom is required.
  • 2300 mm of headroom is recommended over other footways or pedestrian-used areas, with an absolute minimum of 2100 mm.
  • Signs should not be mounted more than 4 metres above the ground except where particularly difficult sites require this height.

As a note: almost all of the circular regulatory signs are 600 mm in diameter and so need a pole taller than 2.9 (min 2.7) m in height. The triangular signs are mostly 750 mm in height and so need a pole taller than 3.05 (min 2.85) m in height. The signs default to the top edge being 2.7 metres above the ground (only because I first created a 600 mm circular sign at the minimum height and needed all the signs to have the same top height).

Hopefully this helps. 
vI3uoZ7.png

The full text of mounting instructions as per the DfT is in this spoiler if anyone actually wants to read it:

1.21 The normal mounting height measured to the lower edge of a sign or backing board (or any supplementary plate) is between 900 mm and 1500 mm above the carriageway alongside. The greater height should be used where vehicle spray is likely to soil the sign, or above planted areas. Careful consideration should be given to any proposal to mount signs at a low height, such as on railings or bollards, as there is a risk of drivers not noticing them, especially at night or when they could be obscured by parked vehicles or pedestrians. Where signs are erected above footways, or in areas likely or intended to be used by pedestrians (e.g. pedestrian refuges), a headroom of 2300 mm is recommended, with 2100 mm as an absolute minimum. A clearance of at least 2300 mm should be maintained over a cycle track or shared cycleway/footway.

1.23 Except where they support a luminaire, posts should never project above the top of the sign (see clause 1204 in the Specification for Highway Works, Series 1200, Traffic Signs). This practice is unsightly, and needlessly increases visual intrusion and clutter.

1.24 Where posts are erected on footways, there should be an absolute minimum of 1000 mm of unobstructed width to allow the passage of wheelchairs. Posts not readily visible to pedestrians or cyclists may be provided with a yellow or white band in accordance with the requirements of direction 41(2).

1.25 Research has shown that the greater the number of signs which drivers are presented with simultaneously, the greater the difficulty they are likely to have in assimilating the information. This problem in dealing with information overload increases with age, so that older drivers suffer disproportionately. Generally, therefore, not more than two signs should be erected on any one post when intended to be read from an approaching vehicle. This also applies to signs mounted at the same location on separate posts. Where a sign requires a supplementary plate, the combination of sign and plate may be regarded as one sign. Exceptionally, three signs may be mounted on one post, or at the same location, provided none requires a supplementary plate.

1.26 STOP or GIVE WAY signs or signs indicating the start of a speed limit (terminal signs) should not be mounted on the same post as a warning sign. Speed limit terminal signs should wherever possible be mounted alone. For further guidance on mounting speed limit signs, including repeater signs, see paras 14.60 to 14.62. Sign combinations, excluding speed limit terminal signs, which may be mounted together should be placed in the following order from top to bottom:

1. STOP or GIVE WAY or any triangular warning sign
  2. speed limit repeater signs
  3. other circular signs
  4. rectangular signs.

1.29 Generally no assembly should exceed 4 m in height above ground level. This may be exceeded to improve visibility of the signs at particularly difficult sites, but account should always be taken of the potential environmental impact of tall and cluttered sign assemblies.

1.30 It should also be borne in mind that high-mounted signs may receive little light from car headlamps, particularly on dipped beam. Where such signs are not directly lit but rely on reflectorisation to be seen at night, they are likely to be less conspicuous and less legible.

Advertisement

Road-hog123

An Orange Bus
FF Council
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
Kent, UK
roadhog123.co.uk
Pronouns
He/Him
- Entering too long text into signs may cause signs to disappear and tile to not load.

Further to this point, I believe I have identified the reason behind this. On the right side of the directional signs there is a short text field for a distance value. This short field has been set to have right-aligned text up to the length of "00". Some of the fraction characters are longer than a 0, and as such it is very easy to enter text longer than the length of the text field (e.g. 3¼). Normally this is not a problem, but I assume that there is some maths involved that calculates the offset the text needs to be written from to align it to the right, and this outputs a negative number when the text is too long causing a "map.translate" error and the object to vanish. If you get this while editing, either re-enter the label menu and shorten the distance field(s), delete the object, or close the Editor without saving. If the object is saved in the map it will have to be found in the tile files and deleted manually as it often causes the tile it is on to not load properly.

I think I know how I can "fix" this and will attempt to do so when I update the signs in a future release of my pack. 
vI3uoZ7.png

Reactions: trainzy

Road-hog123

An Orange Bus
FF Council
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
Kent, UK
roadhog123.co.uk
Pronouns
He/Him
  • SolidLine_500.sli

are old duplicates of:

• CentreLine_Warn_100.sli
  • CentreLine_Warn_150.sli
  • CentreLine_Warn2_100.sli
  • CentreLine_Warn2_150.sli
  • ChevronLine_500.sli

Before you update you'll need to make sure you're using the latter 5 splines, the former are not included in this release.

Once you've updated, there are several splines and objects marked in the changelog as "deprecated". That means that they're included in this release, but alternatives have been added and only the alternatives will be included in the next release:

• Stop_Line.sli deprecated (use StopLine.sli, SignalLine_200.sli or SignalLine_300.sli instead)
  • Give_Way_Line.sli deprecated (use GiveWayLine_Norm.sli instead)
  • Sign_NoEntry.sco deprecated (use LED_addSign_L_NoEntry.sco or LED_addSign_R_NoEntry.sco)
  • Sign_NoLeft.sco deprecated (use LED_addSign_L_NoLeft.sco or LED_addSign_R_NoLeft.sco)
  • Sign_NoRight.sco deprecated (use LED_addSign_L_NoRight.sco or LED_addSign_R_NoRight.sco)
  • Sign_OnlyLeft.sco deprecated (use LED_addSign_L_OnlyLeft.sco or LED_addSign_R_OnlyLeft.sco)
  • Sign_OnlyRight.sco deprecated (use LED_addSign_L_OnlyRight.sco or LED_addSign_R_OnlyRight.sco)

vI3uoZ7.png

Advertisement

Status
Not open for further replies.