Information Regarding Reactions (1 Viewer)

Should the "Dislike" reaction option be kept?

• Yes, keep it.

Votes: 45 72.6%
  • No, cast it into the sea.

Votes: 17 27.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Road-hog123

An Orange Bus
FF Council
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
Kent, UK
roadhog123.co.uk
Pronouns
He/Him
The upgrade to XenForo 2 saw the implementation of Reactions, allowing you to do more than just "Like" a post. This seems to have gone very well and has been well-received by both staff and members.

However, we've recently received several reports regarding "spam dislikes", or other spam reactions. Please stop this. You are wasting our time to have to deal with these reports or remove these spam reactions and are just going to make yourself disliked by those members and by the staff. Frankly what you're doing is bullying other members. We don't run this forum so we can spend our free time solving playground disputes, so please either try your best to ignore those you've taken a disliking to or solve your disputes outside the forums so you can move on.

On this note, the staff have been debating whether or not the "dislike" reaction serves a useful purpose, or if it would be better just to remove it... as such there is an attached poll and if you have any suggestions about situations it could be used usefully, please add them below.

Advertisement

D

Deleted member 2523

The only reason negative reactions are being dished out as much as they are by members of the forum (myself included) is because other members are either:

1) Saying something hurtful, won't name anyone but I seem to remember the phrase "Braindead individual" being used towards someone recently.
2) Saying something really stupid, completely out of turn - whether it be completely irrelevant to the original post, or them just being a general Richard, if you get what I mean.

I'll admit, I'm guilty of pressing the dislike button a lot - especially quite recently, and if I'm honest it's often directed at posts that meet the above criteria (and if I'm honest I notice its the same members saying this kind of stuff)

In my personal opinion, if there weren't people saying really stupid things to try and get a few cheap positive reactions, there wouldn't be people getting all these mass dislikes.

Oct 24, 2016
Cymru
In my opinion negative reactions are like "downvotes" on Reddit, if people don't like whats being posted (and most of the time, as has been explained by others are posts which really are not in the slightest bit helpful or constructive, and are often repetitive and rude), then there will be a negative reaction to it.

If bullying is a concern then surely if you monitor the the posts you'd see a pattern of someone negatively reacting to it, and if they don't follow up with a post to explain then you are going to easily identify those culprits and punish them accordingly.

Honestly If people are going to kick up a fuss over having a "negative reaction" on their post, its not like its the end of the world (I recieve downvotes on reddit all the time, doesn't bother me) - If its constant then either individuals need to reconsider the sort of thing they are posting which is causing negative reaction in the community, or they should not post at all.

Just my two cents.

ROBLOX Bus Simulators

Founder of TMT and Project Merseyside
Jun 18, 2017
Liverpool
I think I know where this is coming from...

Screenshot_296.png

Advertisement

Florence3099

Prepare for trouble! Make it double!
Dec 10, 2015
Goldenrod City
www.flickr.com
Pronouns
She/Her
Alright this is how it should be - my expert opinion:

Reactions stay
People stop overreacting and being childish about them
Don't expect to get positive reactions if you just post absolute hateful tripe all day every day you know who you are
Certainly don't whine about having a significant proportion of your reactions being negative when you are notorious for doing so yourself again you know exactly who you are
Grow the hell up, this place is really really bad for pettiness right now and quite frankly it's tiring.
It's so draining browsing these forums at the moment, there's a significant amount of toxicity due to certain users having a mental age of about two.

G R O W U P

Advertisement

In the real world, not everyone is going to be positive. You have to expect negative reactions with whatever you do. It's part of life!
true I'm not against them myself I just know that people can be overly sensitive? what would you suggest?

My suggestion would be to ignore them but the problem has obviously arisen and the runners of the forum have obviously gone for a different approach so I have given my nicer suggestion to the precious people who are offended by receiving negative feedback

Last edited by a moderator:

LazyGuy222

Resident First Leicester Enthusiast
May 7, 2016
Leicester
I personally think this should be removed. A certain person, who has complained about being spammed with dislikes, has constantly disliked another user's posts for no reason. I have seen this loads and it is unfair. Constant spamming or hating should not be allowed.
Mod edit: Names of users accused of being involved in spam disliking have been redacted as the matter is being dealt with privately.

Street cleaner
Forum Moderator
FF Council
UKDT
Premium Subscriber
Oct 24, 2016
We have neither the ability nor inclination for users to pick and choose what reactions they can receive, even ignoring the inherent unfairness. If we remove the negative reactions such as dislike, it will be for everyone.

We have experimentally introduced a limit of 20 reactions per day that each user can give out, to try and reduce spam reactions, let us know what you think and if the limit needs tweaking or removing.

Road-hog123

An Orange Bus
FF Council
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
Kent, UK
roadhog123.co.uk
Pronouns
He/Him
other members are either:
1) Saying something hurtful
2) Saying something really stupid, completely out of turn
Both of these cases sound like a good time to use the "Report" button and have us remove the post, rather than stick a negative reaction on the post.

If you don't want negative reactions then don't post absolute codswallop designed to rile people up.
The notion of "Spam Dislikes" isn't about people reacting negatively to bad posts, it's about people putting a negative reaction on a perfectly normal post just because they don't like who posted it.
If people are posting bad posts then yes they should expect negative reactions on it - but we've not had any complaints about those reactions.
But again, if users seem to be posting bad posts just for the sake of causing argument then that should be reported so we can deal with that post and user.

Advertisement

Users who are viewing this thread