Planning a move

Status
Not open for further replies.

germanicus12

Feb 8, 2014
Favourite Truck
Peterbilt
So, my wife and I are disappointed with the American political future and are planning to move out of the country sometime in the next year. I will be handing over all operational control of my business to my friend and co-founder and will continue to receive my share of the profits so not having a job immediately after moving is not a big deal, but my personality and work ethic would make it difficult. So since France and England are 1 of the 3 countries being considered at the moment, I wanted to ask my friends here who live in those countries if they know of any trucking companies who hire Americans or work with them. Mainly I am looking for a company that can teach me how things work in Europe, all the different regulations, border policies, etc...

Canada is also in consideration and I have contacts there that can get me hooked up fairly quickly but they will send me into the United States often and my wife and I are looking for minimal US access, which is why we are looking into Europe first. We did consider Australia because I drove down there for a couple years for a friends roadtrain business, but I hate the heat and it is a bit too isolated for our liking. England is a strong choice and location makes little difference, I have a preference for Liverpool since that is where my ancestors are from. So any assistance from you guys to hook me up some numbers or a website for companies that are friendly to Americans would be greatly appreciated. :)

Alan5267

Sep 27, 2014
Favourite Truck
Kenworth
Tasmania or new zealand considered? like Australia but less distance and heat involved

Seven

The Dickhead
Administrator
Aug 25, 2014
Favourite Truck
Kenworth
I personally dislike England. For what it's worth, it's a country I guess and some of the areas are fairly nice (I.E. On the edge of a small village away from everyone else). The people where I live aren't always the nicest. Then again, I look different to most people so there could still be that element of judgement; don't take my word for it. I also hate the government for various reasons such as our immigration. Mr Cameron says how he'll happily let in refugees, then start complaining there's too many and then would rather hunt foxes every day anyway.

I'd move to Europe. Not England. I want out of England because I want to move to the US (at least while I don't have kids and in around 5 years time after any dust settles). Everything's cheaper over there, especially if I keep saving up. You can get a brand new van for 1/3 the cost of the UK equivalent.

PuckLee89

Jul 6, 2014
Favourite Truck
Kenworth
I moved to Australia from the U.S. About a year ago and found a driving job pretty quick. I do like it here a lot more than back home but I do live just outside of Melbourne so not really any isolation being close to a city. I'm also from Florida so the heat isn't an issue.

Dr.Bull

Jul 31, 2014
My advice: Don't come to Europe.

The thing is, yes America sucks... Okay, I know, we all know. But Europe (the EU) has done a great job of throwing itself of off multiple cliffs at once the last couple of years, whilst there is a very small sign that the US is actually starting to climb out from the bottom of the cliff they've been laying in (though in the next presidental term I foresee America will take another plunge, but let's look at the very dim bright side).
As mentioned by Seven, the immigration laws are ridiculous. Muslim refugees are streaming in and nobody does anything. Germany actually welcomes them...
People are just massive, massive tw*ts here. Europeans do not know anything about hospitality (especially the foreigners don't get the concept).
The economy sucks at the moment. Everything's expensive, pay is aweful, taxes are high... Healthcare/education/etc ARE NOT FREE!!! Whoever came up with that fairytale is absolutly delusional and again, taxes are really high so even if it would be free, you'd still pay a lot for it.
The EU wants to include the Ukraines and Turkey, well great, two more completly hopeless and financially unstable nations that'll join.
Basically, everything in Europe is going to sh*t because of left wing, facist morons who want to be as politically correct as possible.

I'm actually actively looking at my options to move out of the dictatorship called the European Union at the moment.
But honestly, I'm a bit too tired/lazy to write down all of my complaints... It'd probably add up to 3 pages of ranting anyway.

Another thing is, if you don't know the native language of a European country (especially in France d'arrogance and Eastern-Europe) you'll have a hard time understanding anything really.
Yes, people in northern countries can speak English, but I doubt it if you can actually find a low-paid job (the trucking industry simply isn't high-class, let's be honest) with a company that's willing to hire you over a native.

So again, my advice: be reasonable, the grass is not greener on the other side of the ocean. And if you really, really, really want to move out of the US, don't move to the EU.

Seven

The Dickhead
Administrator
Aug 25, 2014
Favourite Truck
Kenworth
The average wage in the Philippines in a year is what I make in a few months in the UK. I only work 2 or 3 days a week at the moment!

Max

TruckSim.Org Ops Manager
Administrator
Jan 12, 2014
Favourite Truck
Volvo
So, my wife and I are disappointed with the American political future and are planning to move out of the country sometime in the next year. I will be handing over all operational control of my business to my friend and co-founder and will continue to receive my share of the profits so not having a job immediately after moving is not a big deal, but my personality and work ethic would make it difficult. So since France and England are 1 of the 3 countries being considered at the moment, I wanted to ask my friends here who live in those countries if they know of any trucking companies who hire Americans or work with them. Mainly I am looking for a company that can teach me how things work in Europe, all the different regulations, border policies, etc...

Canada is also in consideration and I have contacts there that can get me hooked up fairly quickly but they will send me into the United States often and my wife and I are looking for minimal US access, which is why we are looking into Europe first. We did consider Australia because I drove down there for a couple years for a friends roadtrain business, but I hate the heat and it is a bit too isolated for our liking. England is a strong choice and location makes little difference, I have a preference for Liverpool since that is where my ancestors are from. So any assistance from you guys to hook me up some numbers or a website for companies that are friendly to Americans would be greatly appreciated. :)
I should imagine most companies in the UK would be happy to give you a driving job provided you have the right licences, sadly you're most likely to start off with somebody like Stobarts (british equivalent to Swift Transportation in the states I should imagine) but after you've got some experience in the UK and possibly Europe also there's always plenty jobs going!

As for the political side of things, everyone seems to have explained their opinons on things that are going on in the UK and the EU so I see little reason for me to also. Do your research into the politics over here and make your own decision on it, some people support it and some don't, but I suppose that's the way with most governments anyway..

I want to move to the US
You and me both! Actually looking at a few possibilites and speaking with the relevant people at the moment. Money however will be the big issue there for me! :p

germanicus12

Feb 8, 2014
Favourite Truck
Peterbilt
Thanks for the replies, we are still considering our options, but it sounds like Europe is no better than the United States....

Australia and the neighboring countries are still a possibility, albeit a slim one. But we seem to be leaning more towards Canada at this point. Likely Manitoba or Alberta, I refuse to move to the more crowded east, (just like I refuse to live in the East coast of the US.) but we also want to remain somewhat close to her family in Quebec if we do end up moving there. Might even try my hand at ice road trucking. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.