PC Upgrade Advice (1 Viewer)

Hello one and All!
So, Omsi maps are getting bigger and better: great news for us as players but not-so-good for hardware, which in my case is struggling to keep up.

More often than not, I'm finding that maps I install simply don't perform as well as I would like them to (admittedly, I have high standards!) so I've decided a PC upgrade might be in order.

Here are my current specifications:
It's a thoroughly decent machine, but an upgrade could help me enjoy the very best of Omsi.
Screen_Shot_2016_12_07_at_16_46_50.png
[/url][/IMG]
Screen Shot 2016-12-07 at 16.46.50 — Postimage.org

I've got a budget of, say, £150 (maybe more) for the upgrade - would people be able to recommend whether it would be wiser to upgrade my processor (to an i7 - I'm sure i could find one at a suitable price) or upgrade the graphics card, which on paper is the weakest element of the PC?

Is it correct that OMSI is much more CPU intensive than GPU intensive?

Thanks for any advice,
Joseph.

Solution
Only Intel's K series (ending in K) CPUs are overclockable, so your current one won't allow it. If you do get a K series, you can get more GHz for your money if you overclock it. More GHz may well benefit gaming as pre-DirectX12 games can only use one CPU thread to send commands to the GPU so more cores/threads would only help with physics and other non-graphics tasks. :)

Road-hog123

An Orange Bus
FF Council
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
Kent, UK
roadhog123.co.uk
Pronouns
He/Him
It is true that Omsi likes a high clock-speed CPU but I wouldn't exactly call that a gaming graphics card... :P You could pick up something like this for less than £150, and it would be quite a bit faster... You'd probably see a nice increase in other games besides Omsi too. An increase in CPU clock speed (but not so much core count) would also help, particularly when driving on maps or in buses with lots of scripts or AI, but I think you'd struggle to see as much of a benefit without also upgrading the GPU. If you've got enough budget left after deciding on a graphics card, you might be able to upgrade your CPU too, particularly if you can afford to spend a little more and then sell your used parts afterwards to offset some of the price. If you feel happy purchasing used, you might be able to get a good deal through eBay, particularly if you're purchasing parts that aren't "current generation" so-to-speak. Of course, if you do buy a CPU, make sure that it's for the right socket! ;)

Advertisement

It is true that Omsi likes a high clock-speed CPU but I wouldn't exactly call that a gaming graphics card... :tongueout: You could pick up something like this for less than £150, and it would be quite a bit faster... You'd probably see a nice increase in other games besides Omsi too. An increase in CPU clock speed (but not so much core count) would also help, particularly when driving on maps or in buses with lots of scripts or AI, but I think you'd struggle to see as much of a benefit without also upgrading the GPU. If you've got enough budget left after deciding on a graphics card, you might be able to upgrade your CPU too, particularly if you can afford to spend a little more and then sell your used parts afterwards to offset some of the price. If you feel happy purchasing used, you might be able to get a good deal through eBay, particularly if you're purchasing parts that aren't "current generation" so-to-speak. Of course, if you do buy a CPU, make sure that it's for the right socket! ;)

Hi Roadhog,
Thanks for the advice, I understand where you are coming from - I suppose it wouldn't be a very good idea to start building a house without having solid foundations first. I'll look to upgrade the GPU first, especially as my PC doesn't perform as well as i'd like in other games too. In terms of the CPU, would it be better to overclock it (if my processor allows it) or plump for a straight upgrade?

Thanks.

Road-hog123

An Orange Bus
FF Council
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
Kent, UK
roadhog123.co.uk
Pronouns
He/Him
Only Intel's K series (ending in K) CPUs are overclockable, so your current one won't allow it. If you do get a K series, you can get more GHz for your money if you overclock it. More GHz may well benefit gaming as pre-DirectX12 games can only use one CPU thread to send commands to the GPU so more cores/threads would only help with physics and other non-graphics tasks. :)

Solution
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

Users who are viewing this thread