OMSI Replacement (1 Viewer)

Just wondering if anybody knows what will be a worthy replacement for OMSI and if anything is in devlopment?

I love OMSI. Even though it has the graphics of a PS1 game and has more bugs than a tropical forest - you can't help but admire the realism and get sucked into it's magical crazy world.

Was driving the Hamburg Modern earlier and the way the Volvo 7900 Hybrid sounds and reacts is spot on! It is hard to ignore how outdated the graphics are though! It looks like the old Driver 2 game for Playstation, back in the 90s

I know about Lotus Simulator, but do not think it will be released. 'The Bus' is also, in devlopment. Does anybody know much about it? I hope it will be great but it could just be another Bus Simulator 20** or Fernbus copy. Not bad games in themselves but certainly not the same as OMSI!

Advertisement

whistlehead

Alias Mr Hackenbacker
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
Well, the big problem that all the simulators like The Bus coming out have (at least in my opinion) is that they have no in-game world building tools. IMO, the world editor is just as important as the driving part of the sim - you might make the prettiest sim in the world with the best physics you can imagine, but if you only have one built-in map and mods are few and far between then interest will just die off within a year or so. I believe some are coming out with tools to allow you to make maps in the game engine's own editor (the Unreal editor for most), but while this is a very powerful way of giving developers the tools to do virtually whatever they want, it is also extremely complicated and intimidating for a new user.

A true OMSI successor needs to be aimed squarely at content creators - the tools need to be user-friendly, to encourage people to try their hand, and powerful enough to build impressive worlds. Look at Trainz as a good example - it's past its prime now, but I would say the map editor still sets a standard for ease of access in map making, and it cultivated a vast community which lasted for the best part of two decades (and to a lesser extent is still going now). Content creation tools are what I think is the key to a sim with a lasting community.

...which is exactly why I'm taking a punt at making my own sim, the way I feel it should be done. It's mostly at the stage of doing test pieces here and there - bits of lighting, bits of UI, bits of world editing tools. I'm not ready to show proper screenshots here yet because I don't want anybody to pre-emptively judge or write off what I've made so far before I've truly got it to a presentable stage - but instead, have a very small, very dark screenshot of a procedural wet weather lighting test I was working on earlier today:
Capture6.PNG

Advertisement

Jan 24, 2020
Well, the big problem that all the simulators like The Bus coming out have (at least in my opinion) is that they have no in-game world building tools. IMO, the world editor is just as important as the driving part of the sim - you might make the prettiest sim in the world with the best physics you can imagine, but if you only have one built-in map and mods are few and far between then interest will just die off within a year or so. I believe some are coming out with tools to allow you to make maps in the game engine's own editor (the Unreal editor for most), but while this is a very powerful way of giving developers the tools to do virtually whatever they want, it is also extremely complicated and intimidating for a new user.

A true OMSI successor needs to be aimed squarely at content creators - the tools need to be user-friendly, to encourage people to try their hand, and powerful enough to build impressive worlds. Look at Trainz as a good example - it's past its prime now, but I would say the map editor still sets a standard for ease of access in map making, and it cultivated a vast community which lasted for the best part of two decades (and to a lesser extent is still going now). Content creation tools are what I think is the key to a sim with a lasting community.

...which is exactly why I'm taking a punt at making my own sim, the way I feel it should be done. It's mostly at the stage of doing test pieces here and there - bits of lighting, bits of UI, bits of world editing tools. I'm not ready to show proper screenshots here yet because I don't want anybody to pre-emptively judge or write off what I've made so far before I've truly got it to a presentable stage - but instead, have a very small, very dark screenshot of a procedural wet weather lighting test I was working on earlier today:View attachment 73855

Are you actually intending to release this as an actual game cos the graphics look brilliant

Reactions: petrolhead737

LT586

Was Living in the editor
Oct 25, 2016
North

...which is exactly why I'm taking a punt at making my own sim, the way I feel it should be done. It's mostly at the stage of doing test pieces here and there - bits of lighting, bits of UI, bits of world editing tools. I'm not ready to show proper screenshots here yet because I don't want anybody to pre-emptively judge or write off what I've made so far before I've truly got it to a presentable stage - but instead, have a very small, very dark screenshot of a procedural wet weather lighting test I was working on earlier today:View attachment 73855

All I can say is, finally. TML are coming with The Bus but this STEAM platform, sorry but it really has made these devs cut corners. I know it's easy now just to hit download and game but that 'Lets take our time on this, we have a potential grab at something dynamic, let's not spoil it' Spoil it by mentioning it'll be in a forever cycle of Early Access Beta. Content tools or not, I'm not a Beta tester. It's like me releasing my map incomplete and asking you all to finish it off for me. Where in the EULA does it state this?

Good on you Whistlehead, keep it up. Don't show it off until it's complete or part way to be honest, so far that looks promising on the tarmac.

All I can say is, finally. TML are coming with The Bus but this STEAM platform, sorry but it really has made these devs cut corners.
I struggle with TML-Studios these days, it may just be me, but none of their games are really hitting the levels of realism I'd expect from them. Taking Fernbus/Tourist Coach Sim (or whatever its called), as well as The Bus, they all feel very...cartoony/arcade-ish

LT586

Was Living in the editor
Oct 25, 2016
North
I struggle with TML-Studios these days, it may just be me, but none of their games are really hitting the levels of realism I'd expect from them. Taking Fernbus/Tourist Coach Sim (or whatever its called), as well as The Bus, they all feel very...cartoony/arcade-ish
I have mentioned the handling of vehicles to them too and they still don’t seem to grasp the physics needs to be realistic, the option for arcade or realistic is because they’re catering for everyone rather than see that there’s a potential for a really good Coach sim, but the vehicles also look cartoonish, you can’t interact like you can in OMSI, and the sounds of the coaches are awful.

So until OMSI stops working completely i’ll stick with it until the wheels off

I have mentioned the handling of vehicles to them too and they still don’t seem to grasp the physics needs to be realistic, the option for arcade or realistic is because they’re catering for everyone rather than see that there’s a potential for a really good Coach sim, but the vehicles also look cartoonish, you can’t interact like you can in OMSI, and the sounds of the coaches are awful.

So until OMSI stops working completely i’ll stick with it until the wheels off
Couldn't agree more, it would be miles better (for us as enthusiasts at least) if it carried much more realism.
In terms of catering for everyone, I wonder actually how large the market is in terms of non-enthusiasts giving it a go..?

Reactions: LT586

Advertisement

Is that a mod lol its looks so good lol like real life kinda.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: North London Buses

LT586

Was Living in the editor
Oct 25, 2016
North
I think the problem with these new games as whistlehead says is not just a lack of third party tools, but that they're trying to re-invent the wheel almost, forgetting about longevity. Instead of lets make a quick buck and move on. TSW 2 is slowly allowing us tools but still a long way off from an editor of sorts. Fernbus I think was Aerosoft's idea along with the company Flixbus on licence, but they've not thought about it. It could be so much better if they allowed the community into tweak settings and edit physics, and have actual sounds of the darn coaches - The internal radio station system is boring as well, no real option to link what people actually like.

Reactions: ELT2003
Jan 24, 2020

If you felt happy enough to, would you consider starting up a thread for this game on here or start to do development streams cos as people have been saying, this looks promising

Advertisement

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

Users who are viewing this thread