Maps North Devon Network (1 Viewer)

Hi all,
After ending work for the year, I've now got more time on my hands to do other things. I really enjoyed my time map editing, although I now realise that both Ford & Combe and A48 Severn were both old maps, built using old assets and building techniques. Both projects are now cancelled until further notice. However... I am returning to hopefully fix my reputation of cancelling projects and low-quality items, by bringing you the North Devon Network, originally by @Kieron . The map still has a long way to go, and because of this, I can only give a large and loose timescale of next summer. However, it will be built to a high quality, using new assets and building techniques, to reach a high standard finish. These are the first screens-more to come soon :)
Many thanks
Jacobthebus (in co-operation with @Kieron )
NDMS1.png
NDMS2.png

Reactions: Puncake
D

Deleted member 422

This is gonna get very complicated :( Be interesting to try and work out where these places are (think I got them right). It look good, and its something I would like to se completed. Good luck at it.

Reactions: Jacobthebus

Advertisement

This is gonna get very complicated :( Be interesting to try and work out where these places are (think I got them right). It look good, and its something I would like to se completed. Good luck at it.
This was near the Stanton Old Town I think it is, and this'll be the road towards the first P&R site :)

Reactions: Deleted member 422
@Finlay Mackness I've just put an 11.4m B9TL round with no problems, so it should be fine. The darker colored part is meant to represent gravel. I may change this at a later date.
@sunny2807 Yeah, I did think that myself. Although, I didn't see any major issues with it, and it filled up the space available quite well. I might rebuild it at a later date, especially after the initial release.

whistlehead

Alias Mr Hackenbacker
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
Whether the layout is suitable or not depends on how you're going to lay out the car parking - I can't see how you've planning to do it at the moment, but so far there's nothing about that layout I haven't seen on real life operations.

Advertisement

whistlehead

Alias Mr Hackenbacker
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
Hmmm, that's not really very typical at all - 44 spaces in total, which under normal commuter traffic (i.e. one person to a car) won't even fill a single bus. For perspective, all of our park and rides in Cambridge, running DDs every 10 minutes, have in the region of 1000 spaces. The smaller Durham park and rides, running a Solo SR every 10 minutes, have more like 300 spaces apiece. Hopefully that gives you some sort of idea of the number of spaces you really need - somewhere in the region of 10x what you have.

What you could do to make it more appropriate is take the layout you have now and fill in the centre with a green space, then build a huge great car park off to the side of it. Take a look at some real park and rides to see the kind of layout they use. You've also been far too aggressive with the poly reduction on that kerb, you really ought to smoothen it a bit - you need to know when you should and shouldn't bother with that sort of technique.

Reactions: Jacobthebus
@danielc2525 I completely agree with most things you said there-I will look into moving those shelters, as well as smoothing out the pavement as @whistlehead suggested. I did plan on having the pavements smooth, but it was being a bit of an a**e earlier. I also frowned upon that sign, so I might move it a bit further up the road. In response to parking, I plan on simply leaving it as it is, maybe with some external parking round the side or back, as I plan on this as being the smaller of the two sites. I'll look into both of your suggestions though, thanks for the advice!

Reactions: Danielc2525

domzee2003

Banned Member
Apr 1, 2016
Hmmm, that's not really very typical at all - 44 spaces in total, which under normal commuter traffic (i.e. one person to a car) won't even fill a single bus. For perspective, all of our park and rides in Cambridge, running DDs every 10 minutes, have in the region of 1000 spaces. The smaller Durham park and rides, running a Solo SR every 10 minutes, have more like 300 spaces apiece. Hopefully that gives you some sort of idea of the number of spaces you really need - somewhere in the region of 10x what you have.

What you could do to make it more appropriate is take the layout you have now and fill in the centre with a green space, then build a huge great car park off to the side of it. Take a look at some real park and rides to see the kind of layout they use. You've also been far too aggressive with the poly reduction on that kerb, you really ought to smoothen it a bit - you need to know when you should and shouldn't bother with that sort of technique.

Like Chris said your design looks very similar to trumpington park and ride. I would aim to do what Chris said with having spaces to the side. Also you could have some commerce buildings, I'm using trumpington as inspiration. Good Luck!

Advertisement

Thanks everyone for your comments, they really do help to improve the final product. @whistlehead I did think about moving the shelters, but I also love making people walking the extra mile xD
@ALX400 Bus Train &Aviation I think I'd struggle to get a building in the center, and I think it'd look quite strange. I will play with the idea, but I personally chose the 'not quite finished' look.

Advertisement

Users who are viewing this thread