New PC Spec for OMSI 2 Add-On London (1 Viewer)

Oct 30, 2016
Hi,

I'm currently looking to replace my 5 year old PC with something a little better in time for the release of OMSI 2 Add-On London.

Was looking at something along the lines of:

Intel® Core™ i7-8700K - 6-Core 3.70GHz, 4.70GHz Turbo - 12MB Cache + UHD Graphics
16GB (2x8GB) DDR4/3000mhz Dual Channel Memory
MSI GeForce® GTX 1060 6GB - DX12®, VR Ready, HDMI, DVI, DP - 3 Monitor Support

I would be interested if you anyone can offer advice on what minimum spec I should be looking at to run OMSI 2 Add-On London smoothly.

Many Thanks.

Solution
Thanks for your feedback guys - much appreciated.

The thing is my current PC spec is better than the recommended and yet OMSI keeps freezing up when driving.

Current PC spec is:
Intel Core i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
16.0 GB DDR3 RAM
Windows 10
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660, 1.5GB, 2 x DVI, HDMI, VGA

Going to get an M.2 SSD drive for the new PC and have OMSI installed on that. Currently OMSI is installed on a standard HD. That might hopefully speed up load times.
what FPS do you usually achieve on average with this PC?

Advertisement

Hi,

I'm currently looking to replace my 5 year old PC with something a little better in time for the release of OMSI 2 Add-On London.

Was looking at something along the lines of:

Intel® Core™ i7-8700K - 6-Core 3.70GHz, 4.70GHz Turbo - 12MB Cache + UHD Graphics
16GB (2x8GB) DDR4/3000mhz Dual Channel Memory
MSI GeForce® GTX 1060 6GB - DX12®, VR Ready, HDMI, DVI, DP - 3 Monitor Support

I would be interested if you anyone can offer advice on what minimum spec I should be looking at to run OMSI 2 Add-On London smoothly.

Many Thanks.
Well these are the recommended specs but it is always hard to judge with something like OMSI...

OMSI Bus Simulator 2 Recommended Requirements
  • CPU: 2.8 GHz Dual Core CPU
  • CPU SPEED: Info
  • RAM: 4 GB
  • VIDEO CARD: Nvidia GeForce 8800 or ATI Radeon HD 3850 with 1 GB VRAM
  • PIXEL SHADER: 3.0
  • VERTEX SHADER: 3.0
  • SOUND CARD: Yes
  • DEDICATED VIDEO RAM: 1024 MB

From my testings the actual minimum requirements are:
Anything better than an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Anything with the power of a 750ti or better.
8GB Ram but i have ran OMSI On 6 Without issues.
Windows 7 or newer

Anything better than this will DEFINITELY run OMSI 2 Without a problem:
Intel Core I5 2400
8GB Ram
GTX 750TI
Windows 10
500GB HDD (Load times will be significantly quicker on an SSD However you do not need one.

Personally i play on:
Intel Core i5 4590
8GB Ram
2x 500GB hard drives
Windows 10
GTX 1050TI 4GB

The PC You have shown off will run OMSI 2 With no problem whatsoever.

Reactions: MarkHodgkinson
Oct 30, 2016

The thing is my current PC spec is better than the recommended and yet OMSI keeps freezing up when driving.

Current PC spec is:
16.0 GB DDR3 RAM
Windows 10

Going to get an M.2 SSD drive for the new PC and have OMSI installed on that. Currently OMSI is installed on a standard HD. That might hopefully speed up load times.

FirstEnviro

Developer of the Studio Polygon [Redacted]
Studio Polygon
Nov 1, 2016
United Kingdom

Current PC spec is:
16.0 GB DDR3 RAM
Windows 10

The fact it keeps freezing up isn't your PC. It's just the way OMSI was designed. As you drive, you load in assets and objects real time which can put some strain on your PC. Trust me, I have a beefy PC and I see get times where it freezes to load stuff. When you next drive, try driving with the info window (CTRL+Y) and it shows you when it's loading stuff in. You'll probably freeze a bit when you see it loading. OMSI just isn't a well optimised game and I'm afraid there's nothing to do about it.

Reactions: MarkHodgkinson

Advertisement

Street cleaner
Forum Moderator
FF Council
UKDT
Premium Subscriber
Oct 24, 2016
You will only see a modest improvement going from your current spec to your proposed spec. OMSI is a 32 bit application that doesn't utilise the graphics card much, it's very old school in that it is heavily dependent on single core performance and clockspeed, so almost all the improvement will be from the increase in clockspeed.

OMSI will always freeze for a few seconds every 5-10 minutes as it loads another map tile up. Running OMSI off an SSD will reduce this freeze but it's not going to elimnate them.

Oct 30, 2016
Great feedback and advice. Thank you all.

In that case I might re-think my plans as I don't think it will be worth spending the money on the spec I quoted for only a limited improvement in OMSI performance.

I think I still want to get a new PC as I fancy a refresh, and it will be good to improve the graphics card and move to SSD drives, but it looks like I can reduce the processor spec a little to bring the replacement PC cost down somewhat.

In terms of single core performance and clockspeed being important for OMSI, will this be the same for the LOTUS simulator as it is likely I will be also using this in time as it becomes more developed?

FirstEnviro

Developer of the Studio Polygon [Redacted]
Studio Polygon
Nov 1, 2016
United Kingdom
Great feedback and advice. Thank you all.

In that case I might re-think my plans as I don't think it will be worth spending the money on the spec I quoted for only a limited improvement in OMSI performance.

I think I still want to get a new PC as I fancy a refresh, and it will be good to improve the graphics card and move to SSD drives, but it looks like I can reduce the processor spec a little to bring the replacement PC cost down somewhat.

In terms of single core performance and clockspeed being important for OMSI, will this be the same for the LOTUS simulator as it is likely I will be also using this in time as it becomes more developed?
Im not sure about lotus. But yeah you’re probably better investing elsewhere. My beefy pc runs omsi fine in terms of frame rate but does freeze as it loads in sometimes.

Street cleaner
Forum Moderator
FF Council
UKDT
Premium Subscriber
Oct 24, 2016
I should hope that LOTUS offloads work from the CPU to the GPU vis-à-vis OMSI2 but as I don't own it I can't say for sure. If you are only upgrading for OMSI you may as well stick with what you have and save your pennies until LOTUS or something else replaces it. I generally find i5 are fine for most gaming, I'm still running at 2500k overclocked at 4.5 GHz and it keeps up with everything I want to do despite being 5 years old, although I did shove in a GTX980 in it last year.

Jan 16, 2017

Current PC spec is:
16.0 GB DDR3 RAM
Windows 10

what FPS do you usually achieve on average with this PC?

Solution
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

Users who are viewing this thread