Miniature Buses, Trams & Trolleybuses (1 Viewer)

ARTY 1

Premium Subscriber
Oct 19, 2016
Wormelow, Hereford, Herefordshire.
For model makers just as for 3D computer modellers or mapmakers, the ultimate question is where do I stop or how far do I go in detailing. On the PC it has to do with polygon count, memory & ultimately usability on a widest range of machines.

With model making it probably has more to do with Scale, the larger the model is, the more detailing can be accurately added.
Some years back I experimented with an EFE 1/76 RT model totally dismantling it, cutting blind apertures, cutting the stairs area to make platform more realistic.
Then as one Resin Producer is now offering I decided to use the PC to create correct seat moquette, not sure when assembled back into model it was worth the effort. When I did the model it was rather a rush job so I have now just disassembled it to tidy up some of the rough edges.
P1000877.jpg
P1000878.JPG

Yes I know the light bulbs are too large & will be amended, but with the poles & seat rails added do you think it is worth the effort or a step too far?

Hi y'all,
Been a while since I posted here; away on holidays but back now; currently at issue 30 on the Hachette RM.
I have a rolling chassis with engine installed, and will post some images over the next day or so. It really is a big heavy chunk of modelling precision, and I'm wondering what will come next! It would be rather nice if we start getting some body components - ideally the cab area........

Nice work on the RT interior by the way!

See you soon
Dave

Advertisement

ARTY 1

Premium Subscriber
Oct 19, 2016
Hi Dave & All
I know this will fox you but I am also up to issue 30 the same as you, after being one batch behind you from the start.
This is because Hatchette have adopted a novel delivery option, that is to MISS OUT issues 23,24,25 & 26 altogether!!
I am trying to cool off before I 'e' mail them again, as the series is only up to No 30 & already I am missing issues No 18,23,24,25 & 26.
This situation is ridiculous as you are supposed to be building in sequence.
It is a great pity as the quality of the product is superb & what I have built so far is as you say a heavy chunk of impressive modelling.

What is your opinion as I have maybe found the first error. Although because I have no engine yet so it is not assembled, the radiator supplied appears to be symmetrically mounted on the side members. In practice it was asymmetrical with a longer bracket near to the steering box. Also the side members were open ended not plated.

20180824_160231.jpg

You are 100% correct there Mike; on both counts. The radiator should be virtually square and offset towards the nearside; I've checked a few pictures and there appears to be a triangular bracket from the o/s chassis beam to the support on the rad. Also as you say the ends of the chassis should be open not closed....

The Radiator could (and will) be! narrowed and a bracket extension constructed from plastikard to recreate the void behind the grille on the offside. Fairly simple job being made from plakkie.....

I think the best solution for the chassis member issue is probably to use a little 'Trompe l'oeil' by painting the ends but leaving the edges silver. I don't fancy trying to grind the ends off in situ - still less do I want to disassemble the front end!

20180824_160219.jpg

Note the London Transport Bardic lamp sneaking in bottom left...

20180824_160212.jpg

Must be very frustrating waiting for the replacement issues to arrive Mike, let me just say in advance that building the engine is for the most part straightforward the grief is mainly associated with #29 and the fuel injection piping. I am still debating about changing the ones from the fuel rail to the injectors to fine insulated wire or even painted solder. Installing the engine is a little tricky as there are two screws that have to be inserted from underneath and there is no straight access. I ended up using profanity backed up with Blu-Tack on the end of the screwdriver.

Excuse rubbish phone photos - the chassis is above head height on top of a wall-mounted cabinet. Seems like we will be getting rear wheelarches and mudflaps next.

Regards
Dave

ARTY 1

Premium Subscriber
Oct 19, 2016
Looking great Dave, yes it is frustrating not knowing when you will receive the missing issues. I am totally with you on modifying the radiator & side members.
It will be slightly easier for me to mod these without the engine in situ. Considering the size of the rad I did think that they could have improved the detail rather than just a slab of plastic, bit of a cop out don't you think?

Regards
Mike

I have given some thought to this and think that the solution could be a waterslide decal of a photograph of a radiator core.

The radiator side framing needs to be added and painted silver

RM Rad.jpg

While the top and bottom tanks MAY have been painted black when new (and having scrutinised a good few images of new RM's in the Trolleybus replacement years, I really believe that they were not), the bus represents a vehicle in post-overhaul 1966 condition.
Now when I worked at Aldenham the rads were as a rule refurbished - the top and bottom tanks were recored and although my experience was 15 years after the target date, I'm fairly sure that the rebuilt radiators were masked up - and as with so many reconditioned items in LT, slathered in a coat of aluminium paint to prevent corrosion! The cores were not sprayed as this would possibly have reduced the efficiency of the rad.
Thus you get that characteristic appearance thru the grille mesh, where look at pretty well any photo of an RM and you can see the triangular bracket extension and rad framing, as here

route_master_054.jpg

Post-LT times I think it was a case of 'do-as-you -likey' if you do at all!
RM Rad 2.jpg

Nice picture here of a Joseph radiator - one bearing coats of many colours!

And finally Mike, in answer to the question you asked.

Yes, it is a cop-out, lazy 'modelling' and the b'stards should really hang their heads in shame. Still at least it keeps us old g*its mentally agile sorting out solutions......

Last edited:

ARTY 1

Premium Subscriber
Oct 19, 2016
Great pics tell most of the story, proving a theory I have that model accuracy is a point in time & sometimes it is difficult to make sure all of a specific model details are in the same time period.
I have some photos of mine for this area of various RM's at various times, however these are not accessible at the moment due to being packed away for potential house move.
I don't know if it keeps us old g*its mentally agile but definitely mental!!
Already cutting rad width down, opening the ends of side members will take photo when done.

Another item omitted is the rubber part of rad hoses what fun!!

Don't go buying anything hose-ish Mike, I have a stock of shrink-wrap in assorted sizes that would represent rad hoses marvellously! More than willing to share these as I have enough to last until the middle of the 22nd century..... That would make me in 2150 a mere 191 years young. Just about adolescent. And most likely building the Hachette BorisMaster at 1:12 - at a mere £5000 per issue.

Advertisement

True modelling is a point in time; with my K-class Trolley you can pin the model to a two-week period in 1962; I am very sure that Hachette will not supply us with tax discs and PSV discs; however I have a cunning plan! 1966 tax discs were brown and 1967 were green, and I will piss about and create both options as well as a PSV disc. The devil is (as I have previously stated) in the detail.........................

Reactions: Paul Salmon

ARTY 1

Premium Subscriber
Oct 19, 2016
Thank's about the hose solution if I have not got any the right size will take you up on your offer.
I was thinking maybe using some of MML's (Model Motorcars Ltd) super detailing components. They make a massive list of scale auto items most of which are used on POCHER car kits including hose clips, hex bolts, shaped nuts etc. Their monthly newsletter usually contains pics of someone's model car.

As to 2150 that would make me 209 years, possibly not even aware of what a Borismaster was & living in assisted housing with no facilities to build it, even if Hatchette could get the delivery right.

Using your last photo I think I may have noticed some more modelling licence, in the RM model, the small cross member between the fan & engine is mounted on top of the side frames. I think your photo shows it mounted under the top flange within the side frame?

Great idea about various discs to add authenticity, if they do not provide them.

ARTY 1

Premium Subscriber
Oct 19, 2016
Ooh that's nice never been on anyone's team before LOL.
Whilst looking through some photo's I came across this pic below which means I have to update my earlier post regarding the radiator on the Hatchette RM, the one supplied is correct if it is based on a current, refurbished or restored bus with the increased cooling kit. However it is still wrong if it represents a bus in the period 1961 - 1966 as stated in their advertising. As Dave said the devil is in the detail!!!

The bus concerned is ENSIGNBUS RMC 1485 at Imberbus 2017. Part of a photo by Visions International Ltd

P1000933.jpg

Advertisement

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

Users who are viewing this thread