Buses Mercedes-Benz O405N (1 Viewer)

Hi everyone, what started out as me messing around in Blender has evolved into an actual project.

The Mercedes-Benz O405N is a low floor bus which saw its success within the U.K between 1998 to 2013, Travel West Midlands/NXWM/NXC had almost 200 during that period although a small handfull of examples are still around under training bus and preserved show bus status. The scream from there magnificent ZF transmission is what sparked my interest in transport from an early age.

Variants:
A regional variant, with perhaps the setvar option of various route and destination displays, as there were different types.

Release Date:
No idea, not anytime soon.

I would love to hear some tips, suggestions and constructive criticism in order for this bus to be the best it can.

Pictures: VERY MUCH WIP!

3a.PNG

3b.PNG

3c.PNG

3d.PNG

3e.PNG

3f.PNG

Currently, I am relying on Flickr for reference images which seem to be working well so far. So if you have references images feel free to send them.

I don't claim to be an expert so I'm very much learning as I go along. If you want to see some old attempts of me building this bus, you can find those in the 'What's on your workbench" thread. I may put some images below to show where I began and my current skill level.

Jun 24, 2017
If you are stuck for sounds & tuning i would highly suggest you try a mod by Omsi Bus Sound Garage. They made a mod for the O405 by Julian as well as the 3Gen & they are quite spot on in sounds & tuning to what videos ive seen of the UK O405s.

Sounds will be recorded with an O405N in preservation, I'm on good terms with the private owner. Fingers crossed, that will be the bus used for sounds.

Reactions: KsW22
Jun 24, 2017
Well... as I'm sure you can see from the images below I ended up having to start again from scratch. Mostly due to the reason that the previous O405N just wasn't accurate enough, I was finding it difficult to correct certain areas simply down to how un-fixable they were. So back in September a few days after the post above a decided to delete everything and start again. However, work got in the way. For those who are interested, I'm 6 months into my first year of running a company full-time, so naturally, I've found myself having less time to work on the bus.

The screencaps below are of the new model I started from scratch last week. In my opinion, from a realism perspective, it's the most accurate version I've done yet. I suppose it's all part of the process, I'm hoping to dedicate an evening or two a week to work on the bus, as I'm so keen to see it in OMSI.

10a.PNG
10b.PNG

Advertisement

Oct 24, 2016
Very nice. How long will it be until it is finished?
big red banner at the top of the page, you might find it interesting to read it.

edit (shouldve added this earlier, ooops..):

also @TEEJ I'm loving the effort and detail you're going into with this project and i'll look forward to its release (whenever that is) and I think everyone here will love to add it to their collection of UK buses in OMSI :D

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TEEJ and ITS A11
Jun 24, 2017
Some small progress since Monday. I also had a play around with Cycles in Blender to make the render a bit brighter.

I'm also dropping one my reference images below. My girlfriend noticed the front bumper from the previous post was too flat, which is why it now looks more accurate. If you notice anything exterior body-wise that isn't accurate please let me know below this post.
Take into consideration the perspective of the image is different from the render.

Cheers!!

11B.png

IMG_20190826_153617.jpg

Last edited:

LeylandNationalStagecoach

Developer
Outreach
Jun 28, 2018
Fayton Heath, Caldshire
Reactions: TEEJ

Advertisement

Mendip_Bus

Badabing Badaboom
Apr 5, 2018
Bristol
Pronouns
He/Him
Well, I almost forgot this thread existed.

Since the last update, lots has changed with the bus.

The exterior body is almost complete with just the rear to be completed. My main focus now is getting the interior built.

Enjoy the screenshots!

View attachment 56752View attachment 56753View attachment 56754View attachment 56755View attachment 56756
Wow, I can see you've been working hard! This has to be one of my favourite projects currently out there, Can't wait to see more progress in the future! :)

Sydney_Buses_CB60

Buses Down Under
Apr 14, 2019
NSW, Australia
Excellent work there, looking good! Reminds me of our old O405s down here in Sydney that got retired back in late 2015. Here's a photo of mine of one of our preserved ones...

32101974587_124e9a6587_o.jpg

It'll be good to have something similar to Sydney's old O405s in OMSI in the future and I'm looking forward to seeing future progress on the project - and also, what you said back on page 1 of the thread in regards to keep trying really made me persevere with my Aussie bus project too, so thanks for the motivation to keep going ????

Advertisement

Jun 24, 2017
So since the last update, my time has mainly been spent on perfecting the details.

The exterior modelling of the body is now complete, along with the main parts of the interior which now only require seats, bars and trim pieces. These will be done at a later stage.

A huge part now is texturing, the texturing is being redone both correctly and more accurately from 'the ground up', I feel a tad stuck currently as I need to revisit 1707 in order to get those textures.

Thanks to some guidance from @BlueOrange I'm starting to transfer things into the game successfully, it's nice to know the game accepts all my hard work ????

Looking towards the future;

Sound - As @LT586 said they'll be sorted at the end, I've got quite a few years of experience recording and editing audio so the only guidance I'll need is the scripting side of it.

Cab- The cab will be done once the sounds have been sourced, plus I need to get some more reference images, which will probably be sourced sometime after April.

Enjoy!

2020-02-03 (2).png
2020-02-03 (3).png
2020-02-03 (4).png
2020-02-03 (5).png
2020-02-03.png

LeylandNationalStagecoach

Developer
Outreach
Jun 28, 2018
Fayton Heath, Caldshire
So since the last update, my time has mainly been spent on perfecting the details.

The exterior modelling of the body is now complete, along with the main parts of the interior which now only require seats, bars and trim pieces. These will be done at a later stage.

A huge part now is texturing, the texturing is being redone both correctly and more accurately from 'the ground up', I feel a tad stuck currently as I need to revisit 1707 in order to get those textures.

Thanks to some guidance from @BlueOrange I'm starting to transfer things into the game successfully, it's nice to know the game accepts all my hard work ????

Sound - As @LT586 said they'll be sorted at the end, I've got quite a few years of experience recording and editing audio so the only guidance I'll need is the scripting side of it.

Cab- The cab will be done once the sounds have been sourced, plus I need to get some more reference images, which will probably be sourced sometime after April.

Enjoy!

View attachment 57749View attachment 57750View attachment 57751View attachment 57752View attachment 57753
Great work, lovely to see it actually in-game! :D
One question: Once the outside model is complete, do you think you will release the repaint template before the bus' release, so that when the bus does release everyone who made repaints for it can test those out right away? Thanks in advance! :)

Mendip_Bus

Badabing Badaboom
Apr 5, 2018
Bristol
Pronouns
He/Him

Enjoy!

View attachment 57749View attachment 57750View attachment 57751View attachment 57752View attachment 57753
Stunning Work! :)

Jun 24, 2017
Great work, lovely to see it actually in-game! :D
One question: Once the outside model is complete, do you think you will release the repaint template before the bus' release, so that when the bus does release everyone who made repaints for it can test those out right away? Thanks in advance! :)

Perhaps, I haven't really thought about it to be honest. I suppose we'll have to wait and see!

Advertisement

Users who are viewing this thread