Map? (1 Viewer)

Are you willing to wait 8 years (or even 5) for a new game to be released?
I know I'm not.
Actually I did wait that long on RigNRoll to be released and man to say I was a bit disappointed is an understatement. Thats why the cities in these games are so generic, they cant have one years worth of attention each and even then theyd not be %100 true to life. Im happy with trucks that act realistic in performance and a world that allows me to simulate driving across country, however generic it may be.

Reactions: Driver097 and Muzz

Razor

Ex-staff
Jul 30, 2014
Minnesota
I know I'm not.

Seeing as how there are already pictures released of the game, it's clear there is a closed/private beta currently out there. Keep in mind this is called American Truck Simulator, not North American Truck Simulator. If anything, they would make an entire map of the contiguous United States eventually. The game will probably be released by 2016* with several beta openings along the way, and perhaps they would release each state one by one following its release as either paid DLC, free DLC, or updates. I believe it's starting in California.
*Rough estimate.

Reactions: Driver097

Advertisement

Well seeing as there is 50 states and the game being known about since late last year and an expected release date of early next year (speculation) That would put us at one state a year and fifty years, or so until all states covered? :p I know thats not right, but they would have to step it up a bit to cover all fifty states.

I dont think they will, as I enjoyed just visiting the major cities across the U.S in games past. I dont see me caring too much about exploring major and small towns in Arkansas, no offense to Arkansas, Im just saying its not feasible and wouldnt make much sense.

Of course giving this much care to California makes me think that Nevada, New Mexico, Texas ect. would have to have this same attention, or else whats the point of making California so detailed and other states generic?

perhaps they would release each state one by one following its release as either paid DLC, free DLC, or updates.

Paid DLC for each state can get pricey. Reminds me of RailWorks. I wish the game would start with more states myself as I would get tired of California quickly. So, putting out each new state would have to be timely not to bore players.

Keep in mind this is called American Truck Simulator, not North American Truck Simulator.

Yes, thats true, but American trucks can easily be found in North American countries such as Canada, or Mexico. It is American Truck Simulator and not American Country Simulator ;)

Seeing as how there are already pictures released of the game, it's clear there is a closed/private beta..

Yes, it seems to be coming along quite well. Have a look at Trainz TANE that is set to be released in December of this year, it has a long way to go and is set to be released in December, nto to mention they just started beta Yesterday. ATS, is miles ahead and looks to be close to something they can release? 2016 could be a bit far I think.

Reactions: JamesCollins

4D1L

The Lurker
Apr 1, 2014
London
stobarttrucking.com
I know I'm not.
The development for Grand Theft Auto 5 started when Grand theft auto 4 came out which was in 2009. GTA V was released in 2013. 2013-2009=4 Years and for next gen editions it is being released this year. GTA V was worth the wait and ATS will be worth the wait too.

Advertisement

Razor

Ex-staff
Jul 30, 2014
Minnesota
As far as I'm aware, the map was said to be from the North all the way down to the south including Mexico. So in theory, absolutely huge.

However, the ETS2 map is from the UK all the way to Poland, again, in theory, absolutely huge but in-game not so much.
If that is the case, that must've took them forever. Obviously, it doesn't need to be a 100% accurate model of everything but an entire map of North America would take a long time to do.

4D1L

The Lurker
Apr 1, 2014
London
stobarttrucking.com
If that is the case, that must've took them forever. Obviously, it doesn't need to be a 100% accurate model of everything but an entire map of North America would take a long time to do.
North America covers an area of 24,709,000 km2 (3rd largest continent) while Europe covers an area of 10,180,000 km2 (6th largest continent). This means North America is about 2.5 times the size of Europe.
Basically times the time they took on the ets2 map including DLC East and then times it by 2.5

Lets not forget GTA has a huge team behind it as well and it still took them that long. To be fair its two different types of games with two different types of environments to be modeled. One is condensed and can be highly detailed due to size and one must cover a entire country, so time constraints dictate level of detail and how much of a state, or city is modeled.

You may not believe this but I have been modding a route from Train Simulator (the old one) since 2006! Yes, I am crazy.

Reactions: angrybirdseller

Advertisement

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

Users who are viewing this thread