[Map] Barry, Vale of Glamorgan (1 Viewer)

Aug 1, 2016
Wales
Hello fellow forum members!

I'm currently making the route 97 in my home town, Barry, located in South Wales. It's currently the biggest town in Wales, and sport's it's own island with a pleasure park and many activity areas. I plan to make it 'semi-fictional' therefore it allows me to use some assets which may not match the actual route. This is the first map I've ever created within the OMSI editor therefore the quality may not be the best.

The route 97 passes straight through the centre and passes many iconic sites in Barry, but it does not travel over to Barry Island. With the help of @btv (who is making the Cardiff and Vale map), I've developed an understanding of the map editor included with OMSI, and have also created a Cardiff Bus 'Pick an Orange' repaint for one of the buses in the 'Three Generations' DLC. (Thanks for the help so far!) :)

I plan to invest up to a year into this map, which does seem like a while to make a map, but after around 5 days of creating, I'm still on the same street, therefore I wont set my expectations too high!

The route goes from Winston Road, via Barry Town Centre, all the way down to the Waterfront next to Morrisons where it loops around the 2nd roundabout on the front. It goes clockwise and anti-clockwise but I only plan to make the AI drive both, and the player to drive the clockwise route (to save time).

Please leave any comments, questions or feedback in the comments and I'll try to answer :)

Here are some screenshots of Winston Road.

View attachment 3958View attachment 3959View attachment 3960View attachment 3961View attachment 3962

Last edited by a moderator:

Advertisement

whistlehead

Alias Mr Hackenbacker
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
RHD = Right side of the cab = left side of the road = UK side ;) It's confusing, I know...

The map looks like a nice start, though it looks like you're using Iomex's old roads rather than his most recent pack. You also need to tidy up your splines a bit, as they overlap slightly messily and don't quite line up in places, and the give way lines aren't set up properly.

Reactions: BailsBach
Aug 1, 2016
Wales
RHD = Right side of the cab = left side of the road = UK side ;) It's confusing, I know...

The map looks like a nice start, though it looks like you're using Iomex's old roads rather than his most recent pack. You also need to tidy up your splines a bit, as they overlap slightly messily and don't quite line up in places, and the give way lines aren't set up properly.

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, I've noticed the graphical issues with the pavements, I'll be replacing them soon. Everything shown was mostly placed there so I could get a bare-look at what would the road would look like once it was finished. I wanted to reach the end of Winston Road where it joins the junction before correcting the pavements, splines, AI paths, etc.

And yes, the give way and 'entry' lines are not lined up correctly, I noticed this earlier. It's confusing in the editor because I'm constantly rotating so I placed them to what my in-game camera was looking at. I was mainly trying to get the radius correct because one of the splines had too much of a bend. I'll fix those later.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: