Making crossings with curves

Status
Not open for further replies.

tattyseal

Aug 3, 2016
Hello,

I am fairly experienced with Blender and in 2.77 beveling an edge with W > Bevel then using scroll wheel to curve it works quite well, but in 2.77 there is no option to import .x so it make's it quite a bit harder to make crossings. In 2.49 there is this option but beveling doesn't seem to work the same in 2.49. So my main question is does anyone know a good way to curve things in Blender 2.49 and/or a way to import .x to Blender 2.77/another editor to make crossings.

Thanks

Rhys

Veteran Member
Mar 20, 2016
Hello,

I am fairly experienced with Blender and in 2.77 beveling an edge with W > Bevel then using scroll wheel to curve it works quite well, but in 2.77 there is no option to import .x so it make's it quite a bit harder to make crossings. In 2.49 there is this option but beveling doesn't seem to work the same in 2.49. So my main question is does anyone know a good way to curve things in Blender 2.49 and/or a way to import .x to Blender 2.77/another editor to make crossings.

Thanks
What I do is use the Beizier Curve to lay out the basic outline of the road, then you would make sure that the Beizier curve has a the smooth option applied to it. After that you will then need to place down a mesh which has the same origin as the curve and use the array modifier, before pressing apply, use the Beizier modifier as well

tattyseal

Aug 3, 2016
What I do is use the Beizier Curve to lay out the basic outline of the road, then you would make sure that the Beizier curve has a the smooth option applied to it. After that you will then need to place down a mesh which has the same origin as the curve and use the array modifier, before pressing apply, use the Beizier modifier as well
I'll give it a try. Thanks :)

Road-hog123

An Orange Bus
Administrator
UKDT
Dec 10, 2015
As a 2.49b user myself, I find it strange that 2.6+ does not have DirectX *.x importing support... looking online, I found a link to a GitHub for a 2.6+ X file importer from a German Omsi Wiki post which might be of help? I suppose if you have both versions in operation on your system it might be possible to import an X file into an older version, save a blend file and then open it with a newer Blender version, although that would be rather clunky and not very desirable...

The best way I've found to make curved edges in Blender 2.49b is to do it manually - extruding a profile along the edge of an object and adding appropriate rotation manually. It's labourious and slow, but it works... :)

tattyseal

Aug 3, 2016
As a 2.49b user myself, I find it strange that 2.6+ does not have DirectX *.x importing support... looking online, I found a link to a GitHub for a 2.6+ X file importer from a German Omsi Wiki post which might be of help? I suppose if you have both versions in operation on your system it might be possible to import an X file into an older version, save a blend file and then open it with a newer Blender version, although that would be rather clunky and not very desirable...

The best way I've found to make curved edges in Blender 2.49b is to do it manually - extruding a profile along the edge of an object and adding appropriate rotation manually. It's labourious and slow, but it works... :)
I found it weird myself also, I'll look at the plugin and I think doing it manually is the best option if that fails :) Thanks for the input

Status
Not open for further replies.