London DLC Discussion [RELEASE DATE: 10/12/2020] (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This product is now released and can be discussed at Other - [Official DLC] OMSI London

* Updated 9th December 2017.*
In order to ensure the London WIP thread is solely focused on the Work in Progress developments of London. It's been decided that it will be best to create a new thread for any questions that you may have regarding the features to be included in the add-on.

Prior to asking your questions, please ensure that this has not already been showcased in the WIP topic. Please also ensure that you READ this thread before commenting

Please Note: This thread is not the place to ask for the add-on's release date as I will disclose that once it's time to make it publicly known.

FAQ:
What buses are included in the DLC package?
- B5LH/Gemini 3
  • Citybus 200
  • Citybus 400
  • New Routemaster

What routes are included in the DLC package? (updated)

Do the buses come with an onboard iBus system?
Yes, it's currently being re-scripted to allow it to have a few more functions. These functions will be disclosed at a later date as it's not our top priority.

Can I become a beta tester for one of the vehicles/map?
No, we are not looking for any beta testers. We appreciate many of you are excited, but we also do expect many of you to respect our decision. All testers were selected by myself and my development team. This was done on a basis of people who are in the community who we can already trust, and not done on the basis of requests.

How much will add-on London cost?
Add-On London is currently expected to be priced at £24.99/27.95 Euros for the download version dependent on where you live, and £28-£30 for the boxed version depending on which site you purchase the add-on from.

Are there any plans for future vehicles post-London release?
Yes, there are plans for a number of vehicles which will be confirmed once development has started on those. The only confirmed vehicle is the Enviro400City, as discussed above.

Will the buses use the same rollband system as the current freeware London B9TL?
Road-hog123 has spent excessive time working on a brand new rollband script to replicate the Mckenna Brother's Powerblinds unit. All buses included in the add-on will feature its own unique powerblind set and does not replicate the example seen in the Volvo B9TL by AD156

This product is now released and can be discussed at Other - [Official DLC] OMSI London

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 11, 2016
An addon like this is normal to take a loooong time. There are many factors to consider:
  • It is one of the biggest maps ever made for OMSI, in size, complexity and quality. IMO the only map with a similar scale is Manly Act Three. That map has been in development since 2016, and if you count the entire Manly project since Act One, it started in 2011-12. So you have an idea of the gargantuan job that is to create such a big map.
  • In addition to its size, it is a real map. Usually, real maps are way harder to make than fictional ones. This is for obvious reasons: in a fictional map you have full control over what you put on it, you could use default scenery or available scenery created by other developers; while a real map is based on a real city, so if you want your map to have a top tier quality you cannot just use generic assets. So you have to create a whole bunch of new scenery, which involves taking photos of the real thing, modelling, texturing and many other things that people who actually work on map creation know much more than me.
  • There is a big job behind just creating the objects of the map: tracks, lines and timetables. To make a single line you need to be continously clicking tracks all the way from start to finish, then create the timetables: how will the line run each day, will it run only Mo-Fr or only weekends, will it be a day or night service, will it stop in every stop or it is an express, etc etc. That is only ONE line; maps the size of London can have like 20 or 30 lines or maybe even more, idk how many are planned for this one but i am probably not too far.
  • Then you need to make the route helpers, because there are a lot of people that cannot drive without them (and you really need them at least for the first few runs). From my little knowledge, station links can make it easier since they apparently follow the tracks used by the line. But i do not know if these support customization, like changing the textures of the route arrows and the stop signs. If they dont, it means that if you want the helpers to be more customized (like in Yorkshire Counties, for example) you would need to manually place the route helpers... for every stop and every road that is used by at least one line.
  • And finally: this addon not only features the London map, which is already enough. In addition to the map, there are several buses in development to be released with the addon. Think about that: an entire fleet of new bus models. EACH ONE of these can take several months or even years to make.
TL;DR this addon is the OMSI equivalent to Russia in size. It is entirely normal to take so much time to develop. Probably Rhys or Aerosoft, whoever was responsible, shouldnt have announced a release date if there was still that much to do, the good old "its released when its released" would have been better. But before you criticize and start saying the addon is dead etc etc, you should think on how much effort is required to make such an enormous addon. Whenever this is released it will be surely worth the wait.

LonelyOldDaf

Crisp Pringale !
Dec 28, 2017
Chelsea, London
An addon like this is normal to take a loooong time. There are many factors to consider:
  • It is one of the biggest maps ever made for OMSI, in size, complexity and quality. IMO the only map with a similar scale is Manly Act Three. That map has been in development since 2016, and if you count the entire Manly project since Act One, it started in 2011-12. So you have an idea of the gargantuan job that is to create such a big map.
  • In addition to its size, it is a real map. Usually, real maps are way harder to make than fictional ones. This is for obvious reasons: in a fictional map you have full control over what you put on it, you could use default scenery or available scenery created by other developers; while a real map is based on a real city, so if you want your map to have a top tier quality you cannot just use generic assets. So you have to create a whole bunch of new scenery, which involves taking photos of the real thing, modelling, texturing and many other things that people who actually work on map creation know much more than me.
  • There is a big job behind just creating the objects of the map: tracks, lines and timetables. To make a single line you need to be continously clicking tracks all the way from start to finish, then create the timetables: how will the line run each day, will it run only Mo-Fr or only weekends, will it be a day or night service, will it stop in every stop or it is an express, etc etc. That is only ONE line; maps the size of London can have like 20 or 30 lines or maybe even more, idk how many are planned for this one but i am probably not too far.
  • Then you need to make the route helpers, because there are a lot of people that cannot drive without them (and you really need them at least for the first few runs). From my little knowledge, station links can make it easier since they apparently follow the tracks used by the line. But i do not know if these support customization, like changing the textures of the route arrows and the stop signs. If they dont, it means that if you want the helpers to be more customized (like in Yorkshire Counties, for example) you would need to manually place the route helpers... for every stop and every road that is used by at least one line.
  • And finally: this addon not only features the London map, which is already enough. In addition to the map, there are several buses in development to be released with the addon. Think about that: an entire fleet of new bus models. EACH ONE of these can take several months or even years to make.
TL;DR this addon is the OMSI equivalent to Russia in size. It is entirely normal to take so much time to develop. Probably Rhys or Aerosoft, whoever was responsible, shouldnt have announced a release date if there was still that much to do, the good old "its released when its released" would have been better. But before you criticize and start saying the addon is dead etc etc, you should think on how much effort is required to make such an enormous addon. Whenever this is released it will be surely worth the wait.
I agree we all know it wouldn't be a quick job obviously all I think the community wants is to know and see what is left to do to the addon as we have heard the phrase more news to follow shortly a few times now and bare in mind we aren't saying where are the updates for the sake of it we are saying that because the last time Rhys gave development pictures himself was in November last year we are now approaching September in two days time so therefore it has been 10 months since he showed us something and just over a year since he updated us on what needs finishing and how its going so I think we have the right to say what's still left as I'm sure it cant be hard to answer that's it really as for what we want as a community from him it cant be that much can it?

Advertisement

I agree we all know it wouldn't be a quick job obviously all I think the community wants is to know and see what is left to do to the addon as we have heard the phrase more news to follow shortly a few times now and bare in mind we aren't saying where are the updates for the sake of it we are saying that because the last time Rhys gave development pictures himself was in November last year we are now approaching September in two days time so therefore it has been 10 months since he showed us something and just over a year since he updated us on what needs finishing and how its going so I think we have the right to say what's still left as I'm sure it cant be hard to answer that's it really as for what we want as a community from him it cant be that much can it?
true say

not wishing to ruffle any feathers with anyone or the map dev but i reached out to aerosoft just to see if they could shed any light on this and sorry to the map dev but this is what they said to me

1567215008956.png

LonelyOldDaf

Crisp Pringale !
Dec 28, 2017
Chelsea, London
I don’t want to sound rude or commanding but I think it would be better for us all if you delete this post it’s great to know but we all know if it gets delayed again aerosoft won’t hear the end of it plus you can’t set your heart on it just in case it doesn’t come by Christmas but it seems like the most likely release window but yh no one set your heart on this okay

Street cleaner
Forum Moderator
FF Council
UKDT
Premium Subscriber
Oct 24, 2016
Just so long as folks don't take it out of context, it will be fine. Hang on what am I saying, of course it'll be taken out of context as an absolute release date!

And just a gentle reminder to all that at the top of this page it says don't discuss release dates.

Reactions: OmniWink
I don’t want to sound rude or commanding but I think it would be better for us all if you delete this post it’s great to know but we all know if it gets delayed again aerosoft won’t hear the end of it plus you can’t set your heart on it just in case it doesn’t come by Christmas but it seems like the most likely release window but yh no one set your heart on this okay

so i am getting attacked here for saying i am not allowed to post up something i was told by the publisher and i am not saying that its an actual release date thought am i but honestly yes you did sound rude and commanding when your not even an admin and besides they will hear alot more than what i asked as they have themselves in to alot of games

Just so long as folks don't take it out of context, it will be fine. Hang on what am I saying, of course it'll be taken out of context as an absolute release date!

And just a gentle reminder to all that at the top of this page it says don't discuss release dates.

apologises thats when they wanted it but i know its only a place holder just like most things until its set in stone personally with london i would rather it be polished than not but here ones thing i really do hope is that peoples computers will handle it.....as we know omsi is a game that released steam 2013 and still peoples computers struggle to this day due to the way the game is optimised

Advertisement

Moskie

Fixing timetables brb
Jan 16, 2016
so i am getting attacked here for saying i am not allowed to post up something i was told by the publisher and i am not saying that its an actual release date thought am i but honestly yes you did sound rude and commanding when your not even an admin and besides they will hear alot more than what i asked as they have themselves in to alot of games

You've not been attacked at all. Someone told you what you've posted is pretty dangerous as it's most likely going to be taken out of context. He even told you not to take it the wrong way.

Reactions: margamer68
So going to the publisher was dangerous people.only need to look at amazon that's even worse if you ask me because that gives an actual date where as aerosoft didnt specify

As has been commented a good dozen times in this thread - the date on Amazon is not accurate at all and is an estimate only and should never be taken as fact unless it is confirmed by Rhys or a member of his team.

As many others have said in this thread, it's best not to get your hopes up for a 2019 release. Looking at previous years and the time since the last update it's unlikely, so to avoid even more disappointment it's best to think that it's not coming out at all. Side note, does anybody know what happened to 2018's summer trailer for it? I've heard nothing since

LonelyOldDaf

Crisp Pringale !
Dec 28, 2017
Chelsea, London
As many others have said in this thread, it's best not to get your hopes up for a 2019 release. Looking at previous years and the time since the last update it's unlikely, so to avoid even more disappointment it's best to think that it's not coming out at all. Side note, does anybody know what happened to 2018's summer trailer for it? I've heard nothing since
Why don't you ask V3D maybe he knows since he is apparently the only one who Rhys is showing things so go ahead @V3D

• Haha
Reactions: cmac1985

Advertisement

Albastru

Somebody stole my fantasy
Forum Moderator
Feb 11, 2018
Brighton & Hove, East Sussex, England
Pronouns
They/Them
I’ve been watching behind the scenes, and I’ve decided to comment.
Saying “it’ll never be released” or “we’ve waited forever” doesn’t actually change the speed the DLC will be released.
At the end of the day, Rhys doesn’t have to show you every single update, and I’m confident he will update us when he’s ready to do so.
Talking about release is not actually doing anything other than causing an argument between the people who are willing to wait and those who won’t.
I think it’s best to just stay patient, and focus on other projects until Rhys is ready.

• Haha
Reactions: cmac1985 and dps673

LonelyOldDaf

Crisp Pringale !
Dec 28, 2017
Chelsea, London
I’ve been watching behind the scenes, and I’ve decided to comment.
Saying “it’ll never be released” or “we’ve waited forever” doesn’t actually change the speed the DLC will be released.
At the end of the day, Rhys doesn’t have to show you every single update, and I’m confident he will update us when he’s ready to do so.
Talking about release is not actually doing anything other than causing an argument between the people who are willing to wait and those who won’t.
I think it’s best to just stay patient, and focus on other projects until Rhys is ready.
Okay well thanks for clearing that up for like the 1 millionth time in this thread now its like an endless cycle someone mentions release then someone replies like you saying the same thing over and over I think if its meant to apparently according to German techno aerosoft come out by December this thread should be locked until Rhys is ready to give info or not if aerosoft were lying as usual

Guys i don't really care for release dates for the addon, or any addon. I think like most fans of the game, they just want hope, hope that the addon is still being worked on, and that Rhys is still at it. Like i said in my video, i really hope for one Rhys is in good health and not down or anything, as sometimes pressure can do that to a person. But i also hope that the addon is still being worked on and that it has not faltered. The addon has been Rhy's life for so long now, so i really hope he gets it over the line. I don't mind when, i just hope he does it.

I was just having a good thought when i said it be great if he released it with the Streetlite, i only said that because it seems everything for the UK side of Omsi is on the rise. I mean with the Masterswitch Gen 3 pack smashing the box office, and the Streetlite coming up, along with V3D and Yorkshire it would just be a perfect time for an update to keep that excitement going. An update doesn't need to be a release date or a screenshot, it could even be a hello from Rhys to say he is still at it. But he is doing what is best or him, i for one respect that, and i hope one day he will get it over the line, if not for us, but for him

Advertisement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread