Le G27: Is it worth it?! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I bought myself a DFGT not long after ETS2 came out, and have been quite content with it. But the only thing I miss greatly is that I really want to be able to immerse myself with gear changes, and the clutch. So, I am thinking of selling my DFGT for around £30-50, and buying a G27. Prices on ebay for a complete G27 seem to be around £100-150, so it is an expensive investment... But is it worth it? The only 2 sims I play with a wheel are OMSI and ETS2, but I do put alot of hours into them.

So, anyone that has gone from DFGT to G27 or has used both, is the "upgrade" worth it? Thanks! :)

Seven

The Dickhead
Aug 25, 2014
UK
lx-fx.co.uk
Hey guys, I bought myself a DFGT not long after ETS2 came out, and have been quite content with it. But the only thing I miss greatly is that I really want to be able to immerse myself with gear changes, and the clutch. So, I am thinking of selling my DFGT for around £30-50, and buying a G27. Prices on ebay for a complete G27 seem to be around £100-150, so it is an expensive investment... But is it worth it? The only 2 sims I play with a wheel are OMSI and ETS2, but I do put alot of hours into them.

So, anyone that has gone from DFGT to G27 or has used both, is the "upgrade" worth it? Thanks! :)
I use the Driving Force Pro - the DFGT but looks more "street" without the ricer dials. It does well, but it's nothing like driving a real car with the wheel being so small and of course, lack of clutch and H-Shifter. I've heard a lot of good things about the G27 and I would get one if it bothered me so much! :P

Advertisement

Max

-- .- -..-
FF Council
Jan 12, 2014
UK
Disappointing that DFGT's are selling for so little now! Mine was nearly £150 new I think! Anyhow, for £140 -> £150 I'd say the G27 is a bargain! Buying used just make sure that all the parts are there and all is in working order, no funny sounds or anything else! Although, if you can squeeze the extra money a G29 or G920 w/shifter is what the G27 used to cost new and in my opinion a much better buy. Drivers will stay supported longer, newer forcefeedback motors etc.. :)

David.Ikaël

Long time virtual driver
Jun 24, 2014
France
steamcommunity.com
I never tried the Driving Force GT. But I have a G27 and I love it, it is really great ! (I'd love to have / try the new G29 tho)

Disappointing that DFGT's are selling for so little now! Mine was nearly £150 new I think! Anyhow, for £140 -> £150 I'd say the G27 is a bargain! Buying used just make sure that all the parts are there and all is in working order, no funny sounds or anything else! Although, if you can squeeze the extra money a G29 or G920 w/shifter is what the G27 used to cost new and in my opinion a much better buy. Drivers will stay supported longer, newer forcefeedback motors etc.. :)
I got my G27 used at around 130£ I think... And after 2 years, it works really fine. So yeah, I'm pretty happy about that :p
(Pedals are sometimes extremely sensitive, but it's due to dust in it)

Just bought a "barely used" G27 for £155 on ebay :D Gotta wait until the 27th of next month for it since Mum is paying as a birthday present though aha. Oh and Max, I think you are wrong about the prices. According to a review I read, it says:
The issue is that the G29 and G920 have a suggested retail price of $400 and the Driving Force Shifter sells for an additional $60 while the old G27 includes the part in its $270 package

Just bought a "barely used" G27 for £155 on ebay :D Gotta wait until the 27th of next month for it since Mum is paying as a birthday present though aha. Oh and Max, I think you are wrong about the prices. According to a review I read, it says:

I rather by new then secondhand, that's me any day. It's always an little risk buying online secondhand since you don't know what the condition is like till you buy it. Also Keep G29 in mind also, it's new and cheaper then others out there, https://www.overclockers.co.uk/logi...-for-ps3-ps4-and-pc-941-000113-gc-025-lg.html

Advertisement

I rather G27 than G29 or G920, screw paying extra for the shifter and there isn't any buttons on it. And I like the look of the G27 over the G29 and G920, I hate wheels that look messy, like even IRL now modern cars just have buttons all over the steering wheel, really annoys me lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
I rather G27 than G29 or G920, f*ck paying extra for the shifter and there isn't any buttons on it. And I like the look of the G27 over the G29 and G920, I hate wheels that look messy, like even IRL now modern cars just have buttons all over the steering wheel, really annoys me lol.
G27 is the best seller and people still rather go with the G27, and yes the G29 does not come with an damn shifter.. End of the day is what you have to spend on. Like myself still saving up!!!

Seven

The Dickhead
Aug 25, 2014
UK
lx-fx.co.uk
Disappointing that DFGT's are selling for so little now! Mine was nearly £150 new I think! Anyhow, for £140 -> £150 I'd say the G27 is a bargain! Buying used just make sure that all the parts are there and all is in working order, no funny sounds or anything else!
Bought mine for £20 on Ebay 4 years ago and it still works like I got it except the calibration lock for 180 degree calibration won't work anymore. Motor's shot I reckon.

Jul 31, 2014
Is it worth it?
My answer: yes.

I bought mine new for I think €250 (?) and I still have it and use it sometimes. I've never had a problem with it, it still works fine, doesn't make funny noises, worth every penny.

I'm not sure if buying a second hand one would be wise though. I can imagine that if you buy it from someone who mainly played racing games like IDK Dirt or something that require really fast and short steering movements, the G27's force feedback could be worn out a bit :rolleyes:.

I usually only play with force feedback on 'very weak' settings and I don't play hardcore racing games, only games like ETS, ATS, BeamNG that only require gentle and smooth movements, so I guess that mine could still survive another 10 years :).

The only issues I've had with it so far is that sometimes it doesn't recoqnize it's in 5th gear, so I have to wobble the stick around a bit... And after I've played for a while my hands are covered in tiny black particles from the steering wheel's leather (or rubber, whatever, when it was new it smelled like real leather)... But meh, minor complaints ;).

Advertisement

Is it worth it?
My answer: yes.

I bought mine new for I think €250 (?) and I still have it and use it sometimes. I've never had a problem with it, it still works fine, doesn't make funny noises, worth every penny.

I'm not sure if buying a second hand one would be wise though. I can imagine that if you buy it from someone who mainly played racing games like IDK Dirt or something that require really fast and short steering movements, the G27's force feedback could be worn out a bit :rolleyes:.

I usually only play with force feedback on 'very weak' settings and I don't play hardcore racing games, only games like ETS, ATS, BeamNG that only require gentle and smooth movements, so I guess that mine could still survive another 10 years :).

The only issues I've had with it so far is that sometimes it doesn't recoqnize it's in 5th gear, so I have to wobble the stick around a bit... And after I've played for a while my hands are covered in tiny black particles from the steering wheel's leather (or rubber, whatever, when it was new it smelled like real leather)... But meh, minor complaints ;).

Thanks :D I find what you say about the leather strange, since G27's are all bound in real leather so no rubber should be on your hands :oops:

I've uploaded my truck rig for ya'll to peruse. It is a G27 wheel with two shifters mounted on an old desk. The main shifter is my G27 in which I call my "main box"; the other one is my old G25 shifter in which I mounted a Cyborg game controller on top which connects to the sequential shifter lever. I use range-splitter config in game where, in SCS ver 1.4, I can setup up to 18 speeds using the G25 as the splitter and the G27 as the main box. You may notice I put a regular sized sports car steering wheel in place of the original G27, then tipped it up to about 45 degrees to give it more of a truck wheel feel. My setup also has a Buttkicker under the chair for more tickle... lol. To finish, I have a 40" tv and use FacetrackNOIR (I've ordered TrackIR 5 with track clip Pro coming next week). The free FacetrackNOIR works ok but will give your problems staying on your face and you have to have good lighting.

But I think the G27 is the best value on the market. Only thing I don't like is the internal rattling within the wheel. It works great, just a bit noisy. So turn up the volume on the engine and problem solved!! lol
Happy trails and Captain Zero signing out!

View attachment 4258

Last edited by a moderator:

Seven

The Dickhead
Aug 25, 2014
UK
lx-fx.co.uk
I've uploaded my truck rig for ya'll to peruse. It is a G27 wheel with two shifters mounted on an old desk. The main shifter is my G27 in which I call my "main box"; the other one is my old G25 shifter in which I mounted a Cyborg game controller on top which connects to the sequential shifter lever. I use range-splitter config in game where, in SCS ver 1.4, I can setup up to 18 speeds using the G25 as the splitter and the G27 as the main box. You may notice I put a regular sized sports car steering wheel in place of the original G27, then tipped it up to about 45 degrees to give it more of a truck wheel feel. My setup also has a Buttkicker under the chair for more tickle... lol. To finish, I have a 40" tv and use FacetrackNOIR (I've ordered TrackIR 5 with track clip Pro coming next week). The free FacetrackNOIR works ok but will give your problems staying on your face and you have to have good lighting.

But I think the G27 is the best value on the market. Only thing I don't like is the internal rattling within the wheel. It works great, just a bit noisy. So turn up the volume on the engine and problem solved!! lol
Happy trails and Captain Zero signing out!
We also have a "Post your rigs" thread where you can show off the rest of your setup! ;)

Reactions: Captain Zero
Yes, I will keep that in mind. I was just responding to the question that started the thread. I don't think my rig is worthy of being in the "Post your rigs" thread. lol That is why I use the spoiler tabs in my signature. They take up less room. And thank you for the info Seven!

Seven

The Dickhead
Aug 25, 2014
UK
lx-fx.co.uk
Yes, I will keep that in mind. I was just responding to the question that started the thread. I don't think my rig is worthy of being in the "Post your rigs" thread. lol That is why I use the spoiler tabs in my signature. They take up less room. And thank you for the info Seven!
Yes - but I'd say with custom wheel and shifters, a TV for a monitor and who knows what else, I'd say it's worthy. I posted my crappy setup back in the day! :P

Reactions: Captain Zero

Advertisement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread