Buses [LDT] Leyland National Mk1 (2 Viewers)

whoa!_larger_national_gif!.gif

That's right, folks, I'm working on a Leyland National Mk1!
After a long wait, Leyland Development Team (LDT) strikes its magic wand on that beautifully ancient and overgrown-with-moss stone of WIP threads, bringing some fresh new light into the scene!

ancient_stone.png

FAQ:
• Will you do the Mk2 version of the Leyland National as well as Mk1?
Probably yes, but it will take quite a while until I get the Mk1 National finished (absolutely no idea when that'll be), so don't expect anything on that in the near future.
• Do you have a rough estimate on when the release will be?
As I already said above, I have no idea on when the bus will be ready for release.
• Can I be an alpha or beta tester?
I don't know yet. I'm not saying "No" right away, but I'm not saying "Yes" either. Maybe, maybe not.
Alpha and Beta testers will be chosen at a later date, when it's even applicable to talk about it.
• Will there also be variants with the smaller roof-mounted heating pod and also ones without one entirely?
I do plan on doing the different variants of the roof pod as a setvar, so yes.
I'm not entirely sure though, we'll see. Let's just say: If I can figure out how to do it, yes. :)
• Some variants of the National had fog lights... do you plan on doing those as a setvar as well?
Yes, I do! :D In fact, I've already modelled the foglighted bumper!
• Will the bus come with a cab and interior?
Well, of course! What did you think?! 😄
• The "Streets of LOTUS" module for LOTUS-Simulator is out... do you think you'll do a port for that as well?
Okay so I don't have LOTUS-Simulator yet, but if I do, and if I have the module, and if I get some scripting and coding experience with that, and I understand it: Yes. :)

In conclusion:
I am extremely eager to share more news with you as I improve the model of this bus more and more, and I will do my best to give you updates as regular as possible, and I hope that you are as excited for this bus as I am.

Credits:
@LeylandNationalStagecoach (founder)
@Ecronbuses (co-founder, Discord server set-up and support)

But... I WANT MORE!! MORE MORE MORE!!
Want to be kept up-to-date with this project and others?
Want to be in a kind and loving community focused on buses and OMSI 2?
Have a Discord account? 😏
I've got just the thing for you...

Join the Leyland Developments Server today! It's simple, just click the link below!

- - - [LDS] Leyland Developments Server - - -

whoa!_larger_rear_national_gif!.gif

Last edited:
I like the progress and the doors look fine to me. Were there ever any full auto Leyland National buses? Or was it just semi-autos? I have tried the Mercedes O.303 coach and I am not so good with manual gears :).

The national never had a Auto Box, The national 2 did called the LVA It was extremely unreliable and nowadays there is only a Few National 2's with the LVA auto as the rest have either already had a Semi Auto or have been converted the the Hydracyclic semi auto or a Voith semi auto.

Advertisement

Leyland Nationals were overrated in my opinion, sure they were nice buses, but prefer the Leyland Lynx
I've never ridden on a National but I have rode on a 1981 Atlantean It was part of the SYT (Now Travel South Yorkshire) fleet and was #1790 with the Regristration of JKW 290W with a Voith Gearbox, it was gorgeous

Reactions: WG4699

LeylandNationalStagecoach

Developer
Outreach
Jun 28, 2018
Fayton Heath, Caldshire
@lhutchinson @jonathonlawrence_316 @ALX400 Trident Nice info there, thanks!

I realise it's been quite a while since the last update.
Between this update and the last, I have been working on another more simpler Sceneryobject model (and a really simple one which is just a billboard) which I intend to try to put into OMSI 2 first, so I know the basic process of how to do that. After that's in (and the texture's also working), I'll continue work on the Leyland National.

payfarer_2.png

Here's a WIP shot of the ticket machine, dubbed the "PAYFARER". Even though the bus'll be freeware, I've decided to do this as I do not know how the real ticket machine works and I so, if I made up my own one I could just think of all of the buttons and what they do myself, without it being "not accurate to real life" because that ticket machine doesn't even exist in real life. It's not finished, obviously.

There are still some news, though.
Firstly, I've managed to put all of the buses I had started (Scania OmniDekka, MCV eVoLution 2, Optare Veolo) and incorrectly put into Blender 2.8 back to 2.79b, so that it's now possible to get them into OMSI 2 (eventually). As you know from a previous update, I have ported the National over a while ago. So that's nice! :)

B8RLE_Front.png
haha.png
YAY.png

(Note: I'm not sure if I will finish the OmniDekka as @Jem's one is already much more finished, and I don't want any competition between the two projects.)

And secondly, while updates will still be posted on here, and on the LDS, I've made Trello board as well, so you can observe the progress of all of the projects of the Leyland Developments Team much more closely, and in an organised manner. Feel free to take a look around, you don't even need an account. :)

Leyland Developments Board

On that board there is also a "Future Project Ideas" list. Please keep in mind that these are just IDEAS. It's not confirmed that I will make all or any of these buses after the National's done. Sure, I won't say I won't do any of them afterwards, but I'm not saying I will either. :)

Thanks for reading! :D

Last edited:

BritishRail60062

A Friendly Rail & Transport Fan.
Jan 10, 2017
Northern Ireland
www.youtube.com
Nice work and nice to hear you've been busy on other bus projects as well. However I have a solution for the Scania bus. I think that if it was made for AI only. It wouldn't go to waste and it could also be used as a depot or a bus station filler on maps. I will let you decide its fate but keep up the great work mate and I will looking forward to another update when the time comes.

God Bless.

Reactions: WG4699 and KsW22

Developer
Outreach
Jun 28, 2018
Fayton Heath, Caldshire
Nice work and nice to hear you've been busy on other bus projects as well. However I have a solution for the Scania bus. I think that if it was made for AI only. It wouldn't go to waste and it could also be used as a depot or a bus station filler on maps. I will let you decide its fate but keep up the great work mate and I will looking forward to another update when the time comes.

God Bless.
Many thanks for the kind words and suggestion!
Yeah, that might be what I'll end up doing but we'll see. Good idea though, I'll definitely keep it in mind.
Thanks again! :)

Advertisement

Developer
Outreach
Jun 28, 2018
Fayton Heath, Caldshire
muddies_beacons_hlights_beacons.gif

It's been a while!

Two things I have done to the National (just over an hour ago now) are the following:
• Mirrors
• Mudflaps behind the wheels
• Slight fixes to the fender geometry (also, the underside of the bus is now grey)

The reason for the lack of updates is that I haven't been working on this project recently, I have mostly been working on my other projects which mostly consist of my fictional Buses of Caldshire map and my Welsh Riviera project for TRS19 (basically a Welsh narrow-gauge re-imagining of the English Riviera in Devon).

Screenshot 2020-12-26 at 01.33.57.png

Image above: Pondlestead-bound First Barbie 3-liveried Digibus Phantom (JX91 FAY) at Esheath Seafront, on the 94. Repaint by myself, bus by V3D.

Screenshot 2020-11-25 at 19.04.23.png

And the image above right here is of the Welsh Riviera route. Here we see fictional FR Mallet 'Afon Baedrydd' in the BR Express Blue livery, waiting in a shed at Llan Eglywys (Welsh for "Church Town", IRL: Churston) Repaint by myself, locomotive by edh6. (Note that the "
pinged.png
" square is only visible in the editor.)

Maps aside though, I have also made little experiment projects to try to get things into OMSI 2.

The only one of these that was successful (right now at least) is this "Annual Cake Fayre" sign, which I've placed just outside Choppleford (on the 94, heading towards Tozzington) on my Buses of Caldshire map. I've managed to get this into OMSI 2 with the kind help of @Mystic Greg.

Screenshot 2020-12-26 at 01.10.05.png

Other experiments which I haven't managed to get into OMSI 2 as of now include this fake carnotaurus (meant to be a part of a prehistoric-style crazy golf, probably won't end up working because it's very high-poly), the Yillich Head Cannon (which I have modelled for a specific part in my map, namely Yillich Head) and literally a cube. The cube was meant to be nothing more than a simple test on how to get something into OMSI 2.

And since I didn't even manage to get that into OMSI 2 (even though the sign's mesh is twice as complex, 3 cubes instead of 1), I am most likely doing something wrong and I will try again when I am more certain of what the exact process of getting something into OMSI 2 consists of.

Screenshot_2020-08-18_at_18.38.52.png
Screenshot_2020-11-01_at_19.46.20.png
Screenshot_2020-11-01_at_19.47.22.png
Screenshot_2020-11-23_at_20.33.06.png

Hopefully the next update won't take this long.
And also, hopefully everyone's had nice Christmas eves and days. :)

Last edited:
Hi,

Good to see this coming along!

I missed a few of the earlier posts on various characteristics so sorry if this bumps but I though some may find it useful for io:

Regarding autos, yes there were auto versions for both mark ones and mark 2s. In fact, my mark 2 is fully auto and my mark one was one of the prototypes for the auto brain, the position is still within the vehicle and still has the hole on the dash board where a switch was fitted to allow you to change between the two. The mark one was never that successful as an auto, the gear changes could be hideous, lurching between gear changes and not being able to do much to control it. London was the main user of them and never strayed very much further.

If memory serves me correctly the 5th gear position became the auto gear, with the others available to use if you wished. Much the same as the titans, which were exactly that principal.

They are interesting to drive to say the least. With a mark one in particular you have to watch breaking them, they were only fitted with one pump which controlled steering and everything else-breaking too hard could land you in serious trouble, your steering could totally lock up on you suddenly with disastrous consequences, as one Gloucester driver found out when his bus entered the multi storey car park behind the bus station and became wedged in the roof!

They were a very nice ride most of the time, often referred to as a bus before their time and I’d set correctly a pleasure to drive. The gear changes could be hard to get used too, many drivers couldn’t be bothered pausing in neutral and just slammed through the gears. Depending on how and when it was done, this too could prove more problematic than the driver thought, get it wrong you could quite easily break one-gear boxes going, over heating when parked in gear, smashing drive trains or pistons from over revving to say the least!

All good fun in a days work though, any way. Hope this is of use to someone at least!

Developer
Outreach
Jun 28, 2018
Fayton Heath, Caldshire
@Trident Fan Yes! :) If I had gave up on it, I would have said so in this thread. :)
But I can understand how one could think it. After all, it has been nearly 3 months since the last update...

@JV3531 Hello! :)
Thanks a lot for the information! I'm not sure what kind of a gearbox my National will have in its initial release version, as I have never scripted anything for OMSI 2 before. We'll see how it turns out. I might have to resort to an automatic gearbox to begin with. I really don't know yet.

I did know about some of these points from this video:

"They Don't Grow On Trees" is a training video made by the National Bus Company (NBC).
If any of you are interested in the Leyland National and how they were operated, you're most likely going to enjoy this video. I certainly did. :)

Either way, many thanks for the information, JV3531.
I'll definitely have a look at it again when I do get around to actually scripting the gearbox. :)

No problem. I had seen that video, on a number of times!????. Remember them being driven exactly that way too! Oddly the series b short nationals were a completely different ball game, much smoother and a totally different engine note-weird as they were basically the same. The early ones were really good fun without the roll bar fitted as you could almost have the thing at a 45 degree angle lean and still have all four wheels on the ground????????????. Personally I preferred the mark 2 but never used to mind a good old thrash on a mark 1, to me my mark 2 is set how the mark 2s should be-a nice smooth gear change at all speeds, being able to hold all gears when needed and a working kick-down!

The mark 1s weren’t that bad when ours got re-engined to be quite honest, the daf to me was a good choice and linked up well. They certainly looked odd on a nice way with two piece instead of four, some being fitted with a smaller fin type pod and others retaining full size. Happy memories......!

One London auto national.

First wheelchair accessable national :) Built for airport use, also had offside doors to aid loading purposes. You cant see it in this shot but the platform had the interior panel accross the front - allowed the ramp to be placed up to the front of the bus from aircraft. If I recall they had side ways bench seats.

Advertisement

Developer
Outreach
Jun 28, 2018
Fayton Heath, Caldshire

Developer
Outreach
Jun 28, 2018
Fayton Heath, Caldshire
Hello again, here's a little update regarding our discord server.

I've just realised that one of our bots, more specifically Tatsumaki had the permissions to kick and ban members, and everyone who joined recently automatically got kicked out because they were role-less. I had no idea that this was the case. I am very sorry about this.

Hopefully everything works now. If you're still getting kicked upon joining, please let me know.
Thanks for understanding.

K270UB

founder of drondonbus
Oct 13, 2019
south of england
If I could suggest a couple things, I'd focus on the corners of the windscreen playing victim to some particularly nasty geometry as well as around the indicators, and the windows really ought to be revised - they're inset on the real thing and don't have a protruding gasket seal. Also, they do look remarkably uneven. The space between the destination panel and the smaller black panels flanking either side of it should be made a bit thinner in my opinion. Looking great though otherwise, really looking forward to it!

Advertisement

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

Users who are viewing this thread