Kenworth vs Volvo - Clash of the Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan5267

Sep 27, 2014
Favourite Truck
Kenworth
An interesting video putting up a Australian Kenworth and Volvo FH16 personally i would get the Kenworth for everything except city driving

Alan5267

Sep 27, 2014
Favourite Truck
Kenworth
You take a European truck for an Australian Road Train Job?
Not a road train, thats a B-Double, a road train would have a dolly, anyway to answer your question, yes, but not many choose to, biggest reason is that the radiator is to small to handle the heat, dont carry enough fuel, and suffer from reliability problems, and as the video points out, small bunk. not all trucks in Australia have to pull 4 trailers, most European trucks here just do supermarket runs from the distribution centre to the supermarket, also besides that, where this video is shot, road trains are probably illegal on the roads they drove on, remember both trucks are hauling B-doubles, VERY different from a road train.

Alan5267

Sep 27, 2014
Favourite Truck
Kenworth
You take a European truck for an Australian Road Train Job?
Also a friend of mine got a job driving a truck for woolworths (a scum food retailer in Australia, i think the UK had a company with the same name but im not sure if they are related) im not sure of what route he does but if he was hauling a road train in the city center, i doubt he would get very far :D

John Necir Rebellion

Jun 9, 2014
Favourite Truck
Kenworth
Also a friend of mine got a job driving a truck for woolworths (a scum food retailer in Australia, i think the UK had a company with the same name but im not sure if they are related) im not sure of what route he does but if he was hauling a road train in the city center, i doubt he would get very far :D
I mean K200 that is made for Road Train Trailers, not the Trailer type.

Seven

The Dickhead
Administrator
Aug 25, 2014
Favourite Truck
Kenworth
I voted Kenworth.

They've got a vast reputation for heavy haul and working in tough conditions - they're the truck of choice usually on TV Show "Ice Road Truckers". (Man I love that show :P) Furthermore I think the Kenworth is built to handle more weight than the Volvo, in EU they don't typically deal with as heavy loads as in larger countries.

Reactions: Bigrigfrosty

Seven

The Dickhead
Administrator
Aug 25, 2014
Favourite Truck
Kenworth
K200 is an Australian Road Train Hauler, then FH16 is an European Highway Truck, could a Road Train Hauler loose on its purpose/game by a Highway Truck?:)
This, essentially. They both have specific build designs and features. Kenworth being the dirty hauler and Volvo being the stylish city-delivery/short hauler.

Alan5267

Sep 27, 2014
Favourite Truck
Kenworth
K200 is an Australian Road Train Hauler, then FH16 is an European Highway Truck, could a Road Train Hauler loose on its purpose/game by a Highway Truck?:)
No, as i said above the engine would just overheat because of the small radiator because of the weight of the roadtrain and temperature of the areas where the road trains roam

Alan5267

Sep 27, 2014
Favourite Truck
Kenworth
I voted Kenworth.

They've got a vast reputation for heavy haul and working in tough conditions - they're the truck of choice usually on TV Show "Ice Road Truckers". (Man I love that show :p) Furthermore I think the Kenworth is built to handle more weight than the Volvo, in EU they don't typically deal with as heavy loads as in larger countries.
Watch Outback truckers, you probably will like it if you like ice road truckers, also all of season one and most of season 2 is on youtube

Seven

The Dickhead
Administrator
Aug 25, 2014
Favourite Truck
Kenworth
Watch Outback truckers, you probably will like it if you like ice road truckers, also all of season one and most of season 2 is on youtube
I think I caught some of them - one truck "team" being that old-ish guy and his wife? I might have to watch some more if I get around to it... :p

Last edited:

Alan5267

Sep 27, 2014
Favourite Truck
Kenworth
I think I caught one or two episodes - I migth have to

I think I caught some of them - one truck "team" being that old-ish guy and his wife? I might have to watch some more if I get around to it... :p
Theres alot of oldi-ish guys and their wives driving the same truck in the show :p

Seven

The Dickhead
Administrator
Aug 25, 2014
Favourite Truck
Kenworth
Theres alot of oldi-ish guys and their wives driving the same truck in the show :p
Well I guess even if I have seen it, I should watch it again if I can't remember it - if not I'll watch it anyway! :cool1:

MartyTheTrucker

Aug 30, 2014
Favourite Truck
Mercedes
There's Outback Truckers on TV here, but I think it's old episodes and at this stage they've been re-run atleast a billion times on this channel (Discovery Channel - Bulgaria)

Seven

The Dickhead
Administrator
Aug 25, 2014
Favourite Truck
Kenworth
There's Outback Truckers on TV here, but I think it's old episodes and at this stage they've been re-run atleast a billion times on this channel (Discovery Channel - Bulgaria)
They do that with Top Gear on "Dave" here. RIP Top Gear.

Daramin

Feb 23, 2014
Favourite Truck
Western Star
I do like Volvo's open pipe sound, but since I'm a westerner and I'd have to pay shipping and handling to get an EU Volvo over here-KW is my choice

Dr.Bull

Jul 31, 2014
I'd just pick the truck that's most capable for the sitution. In this case that would be the Kenworth.
The Volvo just isn't made for the Australian market specifically, the Kenworth is.
Besides, I wouldn't want to live in a box with two seats and a bunk without even being able to turn my ass around or stand up for a couple of weeks, so Kenworth it is.
Also, I'd like to see the Volvo after 5 years of non-stop trucking in Australia. My bet is, that those (ugly) plastic panels and interior will be completly faded and cracked: due to the vast changes in temprature (day-night) and the rocks that will just tear them apart.
I'd also say, but that's just speculation, that the Volvo isn't capable of dealing with all the dust and sand.

If it was set in the US, still the Kenworth, the bigger cab does it. If it was set in the EU, yeah, then I'd pick the Volvo, just 'cause it's a bit smaller.

Seven

The Dickhead
Administrator
Aug 25, 2014
Favourite Truck
Kenworth
@Dr.Bull makes a very good point about cab space. Truckers don't move much but they still like the space in and around the cab. I remember in IRT, Hugh "Polar Bear" was using an arm exercise bend bar (?) in his cab while he drove :P

Max

TruckSim.Org Ops Manager
Administrator
Jan 12, 2014
Favourite Truck
Volvo
I've never driven a truck, and currently don't plan on doing so at least in the near future, but I've voted Volvo just because I like them, and they're well known here in the UK for being reliable etc :)

Status
Not open for further replies.