i want to create an omnidekka but dont know how to (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Road-hog123

An Orange Bus
FF Council
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
Kent, UK
roadhog123.co.uk
Pronouns
He/Him
When building a model you want to get your sources to be as close to the real thing as possible. Just like a game of Chinese Whispers, every reproduction introduces some error, and depending on how much time someone spent on trying to make something accurate, the amount of error varies. For best results you want your bus to be an exact copy of the real thing, but obviously it will never be perfect and one must reach a compromise between perfection and finishing the project.

The best source of reference is the real thing, or the diagrams that were sent to the manufacturing teams to tell them what to make. The latter is difficult to come by, and usually only for old vehicles where the blueprints are in a historical archive somewhere. A current manufacturer isn't going to give you that which tells you how to copy their bus in case you sell it to a rival manufacturer. Taking a tape measure (or other measuring equipment) to a real bus will give the best results, but you'd probably need to arrange a depot visit to do that, and they're obviously not going to let in a kid with no previous experience. SCS was able to 3D scan the new Scania to make their model, but obviously they're a company with a lot of existing models to lean on.

Service and Operators' manuals can also be useful, but remember that they're written before the first bus is produced, so they have to be based on pre-production vehicles which may differ from the final product. They also have revisions over time if things are improved on the vehicle.

Well-lit, in-focus and high-definition photographs of the real thing from every angle you can get are vital, but I wouldn't trace from them. The lens of a camera distorts the image (with more distortion the further from the centre you get) and so they don't actually tell you the truth.

Paintings, sketches, paper bus templates, brochure artwork, "blueprints" from blueprint sites, etc. are all artist's impressions of the thing rather than highly accurate reference and should be avoided. They may look recognisable, but when compared carefully to the real thing or to accurate diagrams they quickly show up their issues.

Not accurate? Huh. I've modelled these two buses and some more only based on paperbus images and real life photographs...
But I can imagine that when the buses are really curved it could get difficult only having paperbus pictures...

BTW: What do you think of my bus models? (they're not yet finished, e.g. the staircase on the Olympus is missing)
wait are you creating these for Omsi...I’m not a fan of the Esteem (it’s not your problem, it’s a real life problem) but the Olympus looks great

Advertisement

LeylandNationalStagecoach

Developer
Outreach
Jun 28, 2018
Fayton Heath, Caldshire
wait are you creating these for Omsi...I’m not a fan of the Esteem (it’s not your problem, it’s a real life problem) but the Olympus looks great
I had actually created the models for a Unity3D multiplayer bus game I started working on back in 2016, so they weren't made for OMSI 2.
But, once I know how to make mods for OMSI 2, I will most likely use those models. Huh... The Esteem is one of my favourite modern UK single deckers of all time!
Only problem I really had with making those buses is that I have found 0 images of the cab. I found one where the camera was outside the bus where the pic was show from the side through the open doors, but you can never really see the cab. I also altered the buses a tiny bit, like for example in real life, both the bit where the tail lights are on and the narrow driver's side windows are cut off at the top, and I continued the curves for two reasons, one being that I have to alter them as not to get licensing issues from Optare, and two being that I actually find it looks better this way. Here are some pics of them in Unity3D:
Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 17.21.28.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 17.21.53.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 17.22.15.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 17.22.30.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 17.23.01.png

The game will be set in a fictionalised version of Earth, most likely focusing mainly on the fictionalised version of UK.

I had actually created the models for a Unity3D multiplayer bus game I started working on back in 2016, so they weren't made for OMSI 2.
But, once I know how to make mods for OMSI 2, I will most likely use those models. Huh... The Esteem is one of my favourite modern UK single deckers of all time!
Only problem I really had with making those buses is that I have found 0 images of the cab. I found one where the camera was outside the bus where the pic was show from the side through the open doors, but you can never really see the cab. I also altered the buses a tiny bit, like for example in real life, both the bit where the tail lights are on and the narrow driver's side windows are cut off at the top, and I continued the curves for two reasons, one being that I have to alter them as not to get licensing issues from Optare, and two being that I actually find it looks better this way. Here are some pics of them in Unity3D:
Oh ok...shame when you don’t get cab photos

whistlehead

Alias Mr Hackenbacker
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
Oh jeez.

You can't trust "diagrams" from manufacturers' brochures, let alone paperbuses. It's like trying to make a model of a model... the person who made the paper bus did so entirely by eye so why don't you just do the same? It'll be better than adding inaccuracies on top of inaccuracies.

busmadguyuk

the british omnidekka
Oct 27, 2016
Oh jeez.

You can't trust "diagrams" from manufacturers' brochures, let alone paperbuses. It's like trying to make a model of a model... the person who made the paper bus did so entirely by eye so why don't you just do the same? It'll be better than adding inaccuracies on top of inaccuracies.
unfortuntly whistlehead my local operator has got rid of most of there omnidekkas and plus the ones they do have are quite rare

Advertisement

busmadguyuk

the british omnidekka
Oct 27, 2016
update scripting plan.planing to put the d92 script in it and see what happens with a default d92 script i will then edit it to make it more realsitic as my mate tr673 (who is devloping the outside) said we it may not be totally acurete to the real omnidekka but more just look and feels like one.so yeah if there is a tiny minute detail that is missing dont excpect it to add it me and my team are novisis this are first bus and we are all trying are hardest. and if anyone has some n94 euro 3 dc9 sounds please contact me and send them so i can compare them anyway thats about it

Advertisement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread