I got caught. (1 Viewer)

Seven

The Dickhead
Aug 25, 2014
UK
lx-fx.co.uk
So I got my first parking ticket today, in a year and a half of driving and riding!

8fw2WUZ.jpg

I'd never seen parking wardens in Halifax and the one day I have to rush in to grab CCTV footage for the police to investigate a fight - I get caught! Typical! I've officially joined the BMW club now. :P

I just walked towards my car after the job was done, saw the bright yellow envelope and just started laughing - what else can you do really, ahah. :D

Anyone else had any tickets or citations before for anything? Speeding, parking, being pulled over...?

They are allover the UK, each location is different depending on the council. I'm in Chesterfield (about 70mins away from Halifax) and I see them every day.

One of the car-parks is free for two hours that has an camera on the entrance that takes images and times of each car and delivery trucks. One day got an letter came in the post saying that on the six of July we had to pay £40

Advertisement

Ehm.. Where to begin.. Parking ticket one day, then 3 months later had a serious accident (due to driving like a d*ck) and got done for dangerous driving with 12 month ban. I was 7 months into the ban, had my new car ready in the driveway. Got some bad news one day, jumped in the car after 16 cans of kronenbourg and drove to my mates house. His dad saw me get out the car with a beer in my hand, took my car keys and called the police. Police came and arrested me for driving whilst disqualified, driving with no insurance and I was 3x above the limit. Got away pretty lightly with it though, only 7 months added to my ban! Didn't manage to get my car out the impound though, it's been sold now :(

Seven

The Dickhead
Aug 25, 2014
UK
lx-fx.co.uk
@Empire KickAss - I know Chesterfield, I pass it on the M1 fairly often. Any area around Sheffield is a lovely spot for traffic wombles. Funily enough, the parking lot to the right of my dashcam picture is a private parking lot - I should have put it in there. In the UK, tickets you get in private parking lots cannot be enforced by law. Simply put, you can ignore them. The parking spot I was in was a Monday - Saturday council spot.

@David040700 - What else can you do really, there's no point getting mad about these things, I knew I did wrong by not having a permit on display and I got caught for it! :p

Ehm.. Where to begin.. Parking ticket one day, then 3 months later had a serious accident (due to driving like a d*ck) and got done for dangerous driving with 12 month ban. I was 7 months into the ban, had my new car ready in the driveway. Got some bad news one day, jumped in the car after 16 cans of kronenbourg and drove to my mates house. His dad saw me get out the car with a beer in my hand, took my car keys and called the police. Police came and arrested me for driving whilst disqualified, driving with no insurance and I was 3x above the limit. Got away pretty lightly with it though, only 7 months added to my ban! Didn't manage to get my car out the impound though, it's been sold now :(
Ouch! Hopefully you learned how to drive & not to drive while under the influence. I only drive like an idiot when there's very few people around, I trust in my skill but just in case anything should happen, I can't kill anyone. Even if I have a drink with friends, just one Corona for example, I won't drive simply because I like my license too much! :p

Sheffield is an larger closest city. well I'm in the center of both that's Sheffield and derby :eek: anyway it's not just the parking tickets that we have to watch out for! it's the paid car-parks, the car park near the next to the Sheffield theatre cost an arm and a leg :mad: two hours for around £4 (around that price).

I rather take the bus, it's cheaper, takes 30mins

Max

-- .- -..-
FF Council
Jan 12, 2014
UK
So I got my first parking ticket today, in a year and a half of driving and riding!

8fw2WUZ.jpg

I'd never seen parking wardens in Halifax and the one day I have to rush in to grab CCTV footage for the police to investigate a fight - I get caught! Typical! I've officially joined the BMW club now. :p

I just walked towards my car after the job was done, saw the bright yellow envelope and just started laughing - what else can you do really, ahah. :D

Anyone else had any tickets or citations before for anything? Speeding, parking, being pulled over...?
hahaha, you muppet! ;)

Reactions: Seven

Seven

The Dickhead
Aug 25, 2014
UK
lx-fx.co.uk
Sheffield is an larger closest city. well I'm in the center of both that's Sheffield and derby :eek: anyway it's not just the parking tickets that we have to watch out for! it's the paid car-parks, the car park near the next to the Sheffield theatre cost an arm and a leg :mad: two hours for around £4 (around that price).

I rather take the bus, it's cheaper, takes 30mins
I had a job at Sheffield Montgomery Hall, was hired to do the sound for them. The NCP parking lot where I put my car after dropping the gear off cost about £14 for the 3 or 4 hours. It was mad - the next time I was up there some clever someone (thanks to them very much!) showed me a machine they have in there which reduces the whole NCP stay to £4 for any period of time within the day! :D

Advertisement

In my truck I have been ticketed/pulled over a grand total of 5 times.

1st time was a parking violation in Heywood California (just outside Oakland) for illegal parking. Trucks were not allowed to park there overnight. Took it to city hall and got it torn up. They agreed with me in that I was limited in my options as to a safe and secure parking space that wasn't more than 15 miles away. In that area 15 miles away puts you in gang territory and I refused to park in such a dangerous location.

2nd time was another parking violation, this time in Los Angeles. Supposedly vehicles with 3 axles or more are not allowed to park on that curbside, once again I took it to City Court and got it torn up, I took pictures of the curb in question, including all signs nearby along the block and asked them to show me which sign specified just what I was ticketed for. They couldn't find one and tossed the ticket out.

Neither parking ticket went on my record, they still wouldn't even if I had to pay them. They weren't moving violations.

3rd time I was pulled over in Pacific Washington, I was moving from one warehouse to another across the street to pick up my trailer when the cop busted me for not wearing a seat belt. I once again took it to court, where they again backed me and tossed it out, citing that I didn't move the .5 mile down public streets to warrant the citation. Sadly though, it did show up on my record regardless as a moving violation. (Lesson learned)

4th time I was busted near Walla Walla Washington in a complicated situation involving confusing highway signs, my lack of knowledge of the area and a confused GPS (Never rely fully on your GPS if you drive truck.) I was slated to drive down US 12 where it merges with the Columbia River Highway just west of Walla Walla, problem was, it was an angled intersection, no problem for a car with 360 degree views, but for a truck with limited 180 degree view where the driver can't even see oncoming traffic from one direction making it dangerous. But the state created an alternate route for trucks where they can cross at a safer intersection with a light, problem was they didn't put up clear signs, instead adding to an already confusing array of signs pointing to 8 different ways to get to 2 routes (East on Columbia River Highway or west on the same highway, no other routes, and yet they put up 8 different signs for it when 3 or 4 would do the job much clearer.)
In any case, I went the dangerous route, my GPS was for the last 4-5 miles constantly updating the route, alternating between the truck route and the dangerous route, further lending to the confusion in my mind. Sadly there was a cop right behind me who jumped at the chance to pull me over and gave me a citation for driving a truck on a non-designated truck route. Despite my assurances that it would never happen again and that it was my first time dealing with that intersection, he still wrote me up. (I feel most cops would have understood and issued a warning, but oh well.) Decided to pay it rather than go to court, didn't have time to go to court, and it was only 70 dollars.

Never got busted for speeding or any other moving violations.

5th time (probably doesn't count but I figured I would share it anyways), I was busted for driving overweight on my trailer tires or tandems as we call them, not overweight on the whole truck, just on the tandems, so I went out there to shift the tandems back and put some weight on my drives, went back across the scales, still overweight, no change. Frustrated I went back and tried shifting them again, but the tandems wouldn't budge, they would go forward, but no backwards any more, stumped I stood there trying to figure out why they wouldn't go all the way back. Finally after almost 30 minutes I gave up and took a warning, if I crossed the ones on the other side of the state without any change to my weight, I would receive a 1500 dollar ticket. I pulled off at the next truck stop, weighed myself at the CAT scales and found that indeed I was overweight (11,500/28,000/38,500) so I parked my truck and studied the situation, eventually a veteran with many more years experience than I, ambled over and I explained the situation to him, he nodded, ambled over to my tandems, peered under and smiled, he waved me over and pointed at the blocker that keeping my tandems from moving back. We use them to stop the tandems from going too far sometimes and I forgot I had put them in when I was moving them to get loaded. It was an embarrassing moment for me as the old man chuckled, and said "Don't worry kid, it happens to all of us." I had been driving truck for 8 years up to that point.
I removed the blocker and shifted my tandems, and crossed the other scales with no more issues.

For those who may ask, the legal limits for an interstate truck without permits is 80,000 lbs fully loaded, 11,500 (maybe 12,000 now) on steer tires, 34,000 on drives, and 34,000 on tandems (trailer tires).

Seven

The Dickhead
Aug 25, 2014
UK
lx-fx.co.uk
Interesting stories! Trucks don't get it easy from anyone due to being such a large vehicle, in the UK they'll revoke your book and throw the license at you in a heartbeat if they see you put a foot wrong in a truck. Nice that you got out of three of the tickets though, saved you some money! I'm challenging this parking ticket just to see if I can. :P

what were the signs, if it's a single yellow line there should be yellow plates with the no waiting symbol, and the times the line is operational. If the lines are meant to be double yellow lines then I'd be appealing the ticket on the grounds that the double yellow lines are so faded that there is room to doubt whether the lines are enforcable. As an ex local authority Parking Attendant I wouldn't issue for a double yellow in that condition. Also does the ticket show the observation times, if not ask in your appeal for the length of time the vehicle was observed for. I believe that now in England you get a maximum of 20 minutes according to the Communities Minister to sit on a single or double yellow line. Here in Scotland the "waiting time is 10 Minutes" the relevant law is Road Traffic Act 1991 (as amended)

If you don't succeed in initially appealing the ticket you do have the automatic right to appeal to the Independant Parking Appeals Adjuicator Service, details should be automatically sent with appeal decision. I'll put it this way I got a ticket in Glasgow on very similar looking lines, I appealed the ticket on the grounds that the lining and signage were defective pursuant to Road Traffic Act 1991 (As Amended) and the ticket was immediately thrown out. Double yellow lines do not need plates, a single yellow line requires an infomation plate to be no more than 30M from the begining of the line and at an interval of no further than 60M subsequently. This is because the plate stretches 30 M in each direction. Where a single yellow line is interupted by other restrictions the first rule applies. as it is deemed to be a new restriction.

Always ask for a copy of the relevant Traffic Regulation Order (TRO), as it has been known for a TRO to specify SYL and DYL's get put down... Again its a competency thing, And Councils have been known to get their restrictions very very wrong.
If there is one thing I hate, its Parking Attendants who refuse to utilise common sense.

Private Car Parks can now be enforced through the Small Claims Courts, that change was effected last year. Be warned you can end up with Sherriff Officers (Court appointed Bailiffs) Turning up and seizing property (Including your car to pay the fine + fees)

Bambi

Seven

The Dickhead
Aug 25, 2014
UK
lx-fx.co.uk
I was in the last parking spot before the double yellows. I was fined for not having a Pay & Display ticket.

As for the Private Parking law - I didn't realize that had changed. Good to know, with Private places it's still easier to get out of though for sure; most of them put in the small print that if you get in contact with them about an appeal, you've then entered a contract that you acknowledged you have been given a ticket and therefore must complete the appeal/payment process.

Jul 31, 2014
Never had a ticket in my life, not planning on getting one anytime soon. :p

The only thing I regularly do wrong is overtaking on the right (especially in the neighboring countries). I'm not gonna move over two lanes to overtake some stupid d*** who is just too lazy and retarded to move over to the slow lane. Especially in Belgium people are just too braindead to move over, it's like 1 in 20 cars just stays in the middle lane for no reason... You can overtake on the right, flash your lights, cut them off, they just don't give a sh*t and continue on the middle lane.

Advertisement

Seven

The Dickhead
Aug 25, 2014
UK
lx-fx.co.uk
it's like 1 in 20 cars just stays in the middle lane for no reason... You can overtake on the right, flash your lights, cut them off, they just don't give a sh*t and continue on the middle lane.
One occasion I was driving back from a friend's late at night on the highway and encountered someone like that. I was bored so I overtook them on the right (UK drives on the left of course) and then went into the slow lane, waited for them to pass, then overtook them on the right again. Was probably doing these donuts around them for a good 5 minutes, gave me giggles. :)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

Users who are viewing this thread