Help with starting a bus model (1 Viewer)

blahjason

Developer of the Optare Solo
Oct 23, 2016
I really would like to see a B12M Plaxton Paragon. Do you think it would ever be created, even though we have only one RHD Coach on OMSI.

a857a238a746a8eba79fc0e68798f88c.jpeg

Advertisement

Advertisement

Road-hog123

An Orange Bus
FF Council
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
Kent, UK
roadhog123.co.uk
Pronouns
He/Him
As in you take your camera, find the bus you want to model in real life and photograph it nice and square-on. Alternatively you could find equivalent pictures on Flickr or something. You'd have to be careful about distortion and so on that you wouldn't get with a blueprint, but the real thing is as accurate if not more so than artwork in brochures.

blahjason

Developer of the Optare Solo
Oct 23, 2016
As in you take your camera, find the bus you want to model in real life and photograph it nice and square-on. Alternatively you could find equivalent pictures on Flickr or something. You'd have to be careful about distortion and so on that you wouldn't get with a blueprint, but the real thing is as accurate if not more so than artwork in brochures.
And would you say that front facing photo of the bus would be fine?

Road-hog123

An Orange Bus
FF Council
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
Kent, UK
roadhog123.co.uk
Pronouns
He/Him
If you're taking the photo yourself, it's possible to get the best photos for reference.
You want to get as straight-on and level as you can, i.e. minimising the angle you're looking at the bus with. As soon as you start to look at something from an angle it tapers as it gets further away. You can achieve a more-level photo of something taller than you by finding higher ground or just moving further away.
You want to minimise lens distortion. I think that point is usually around the mid-point of optical zoom, but it may vary depending on your lens. Again, standing a bit further away can help. If you've got lens distortion you'll find that thing that should be straight are curved, more so nearer the edges of the image.
For reference, I took this photo from perhaps 15 metres away from the bus directly in front of it. Notice how the sides are nice and vertical. There'll still be some small distortion in it, but that can be fixed in photo-editing software fairly easily without losing quality.
Remember that your model doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to look close enough to the real thing that nobody notices it's wrong. :)

Advertisement

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

Users who are viewing this thread