Help with modelling junctions

• Please note that answers to questions that receive more than 5 collective down votes will be automatically hidden.

danielart090888

Oct 24, 2016
Hi guys.

I have started modelling objects for the map i want to create (a realistic one based on my home city ) However i have absolutely no clue how to do crossings - Roads pavements ETC. Rhys from TSLP has been a great help with helping me start off with blender.

If anyone would be able to give me some tutorials for this RHD map im creating, i would be ever so grateful!

Thanks!

Road-hog123

An Orange Bus
Administrator
UKDT
Dec 10, 2015
Hopefully this is of some help: some screenshots of a junction I made in Blender back in February '15...
Each of the ends of the junction were first made as a series of lines that matched the profiles of the splines they would connect to, then moved and rotated into place (I think I may have used a background reference Google Maps screenshot to build the junction, scaled with reference to measurements taken from Google Maps itself).
I then built the geometry of the junction by hand (there may be better ways to do this, but I tend to prefer working that way for some reason). The roads are modelled with strategic edges to help texturing - a line down the centre of the lanes and at the edges of lines mean that I can have the lines be the correct width, the tyre marks scale to the road width and change textures half-way across the lane.
You can take some shortcuts with grass texturing, if you use the default "gras1.bmp" texture with the default "gras1.bmp.cfg" file the texture has the "[terrainmapping]" tag such that it matches the tile's base grass texture exactly, even if not texture mapped properly. You could also take additional shortcuts I didn't take here for some reason - where pavements, verges or similar sit on top of the road you can use fewer polygons that join every 2nd or 3rd vertex and therefore extend under the pavement, reducing the number of polygons that you have to texture, that Omsi has to render and there's no visual artefacts to show you've done it. :)
BlenderJunction.png

Road-hog123

An Orange Bus
Administrator
UKDT
Dec 10, 2015
To actually get it to be a junction in the game, you are going to want to create an *.sco file as normal, but with a few extra tags:
Code:
[friendlyname]
Look at me! I'm a junction! :D

[groups]
Road-hog123
Junctions

[rendertype]      <--- tells Omsi where in the render order the object should be
surface           <--- surface is where all of the roads, splines and so-on should be rendered

[fixed]           <--- we don't want the junction moving around if we collide with it

[absheight]       <--- this is optional. It changes the Editor's "height" value from meaning "height above the terrain that's below the object's origin" to "height above sea level".

[collision_mesh]  <--- we want to collide with something more complex than a box.
junction.o3d      <--- you could use a different mesh here, but the main mesh usually suffices

[surface]         <--- tells Omsi that this is a surface that can be driven on, changing how the wheels collide with it

[mesh]
junction.o3d
To add traffic paths and traffic light sequences to the junction, you'll want to use the Omsi Object Editor (OmsiObjEditP.exe) from the OMSI 1 + 2 SDK Tools (which if you've already made buildings, you probably already have). It should be fairly intuitive to learn with some pushing of random buttons, the actually usage of it would be the subject of a topic all of its own. :tongueout: