Maps Harrothorpe Reborn (A Yorkshire Dev Team Project) (1 Viewer)

Now as you all know the original Harrothorpe i made ages ago was like Marmite, some people loved it while others hated it. Now i had originally shelved the project but my good friend Jamie had said how it has potential and together as the Yorkshire Development Team we hope to bring a new updated version that will bring it upto todays standards.

When i ceased updating the map it had a total of 23 services that were the following:
596 Hebden Bridge Local (20 Min Round) (First)
598 Hebden Bridge Local (20 Min Round) (First)
591 Leeds - Shipley - Hebden - Malton (20 Min) (First)
X91 Leeds - Malton Express (15-20 min peak time) (First)
X11 Leeds - Shipley - Hebden - Malton Limited Stop (15 Mins) (Geldards)
22 Shipley - Poppleton - Lower Poppleton (15 mins) (Squarepeg)
700 Leeds City Circular (13 Min Round) (First)
757 Leeds - Airport (20 min) (Yorkshire Tiger)
519 Leeds - Cross Green Ind Estate (15 mins)
X59 Leeds - Cross Green Direct (5-10 Mins)
PR1 Poppleton P&R - Leeds Circular
412 Leeds - Poppleton - Knapton (15 mins) (Never Finished fully)
KS1 Knapton School - Manningham Lane (School) (15 Mins) (Geldards)
626 Leeds - Shipley - Baildon (15 mins) (First)
625 Leeds - Shipley - Hebden - Balidon (20 mins) (First)
C68 Shipley Tesco Bus - Leeds (10-30 mins) (Geldards)
R10 School Run to Hebden Via Baildon (First)
R11 School Run to Malton Via Hebden
71 Malton - Ryedale (7 Mins but will be extended) (First)
78 Malton - Riddlesden (7 Mins but will be extended) (First)
Power Plant Shuttle Bus (Staff Service) (10 Min Round Trip) (First using Non-DDA bus)
Rail Replacement Leeds - Hebden Bridge (15 mins) (Hired operators)
Leeds Bus Museum Shuttle

Bear in mind NOT all of these routes may make it into the next version although we hope to update the routes on these and add new ones. Currently Jamie has begun by editing the roads around Malton then into Leeds.
e06f9c2e0984b0b5ff3235a4fabc765a.png

P.S. we are removing ALL of the Tudor Houses (Plus ones in above shot) and are ensuring the AI has other cars not just Golfs

Now as you all know the original Harrothorpe i made ages ago was like Marmite, some people loved it while others hated it. Now i had originally shelved the project but my good friend Jamie had said how it has potential and together as the Yorkshire Development Team we hope to bring a new updated version that will bring it upto todays standards.

When i ceased updating the map it had a total of 23 services that were the following:
Power Plant Shuttle Bus (Staff Service) (10 Min Round Trip) (First using Non-DDA bus)
Leeds Bus Museum Shuttle

Bear in mind NOT all of these routes may make it into the next version although we hope to update the routes on these and add new ones. Currently Jamie has begun by editing the roads around Malton then into Leeds.
P.S. we are removing ALL of the Tudor Houses (Plus ones in above shot) and are ensuring the AI has other cars not just Golfs
just a quick tip dont use the same houses over and over again unless you need to or the map will look bland but im a map editor my self and i learned not to do it but although the map is brilliant keep up the good work :)

Advertisement

and More Central

Veteran YouTuber
Apr 1, 2016
www.youtube.com
Thank you all for the replies, There should be no Tudor Houses in the release, we were tempted to rename it but will see. Current operators for the next map will be First Group, Stagecoach and maybe a few independents. The map is going to have a few areas inspired by Greater Manchester area with a few operators and competition reflecting this. We are going to be doin a few edits following feedback we have received. Pics will be posted later!

Reactions: Alex

Advertisement

D

Deleted member 422

Leeds Bus Museum Shuttle

I think a rebuild was in order before it was ever released. Maybe now, it can be brought into modern day standards, because it is always a shame to see a map go down the chute, into the, quite frankly, trash section. I'm not being harsh, and I do not want to appear as such, but serious things need to change before the reputation that Harrothorpe has, will be altered.

For short, all the advice is given in shorthand at the bottom in a spoiler.

Firstly, just because you are not spamming the map with the 'Tudor House' object, doesn't mean you can go and do it with a different variation of house. I don't believe there is a street that exist, which is made up of identical houses, and also with identical front gardens. So for a start, most of them hedges need to be removed, and replaced by hedges of a different height, style, width etc, and differing items inside.

Another key issue in the original Harrothorpe, was that it succumb to awful judgement of object placement. Again, I do not believe that buildings always come next to each other. You need to try and leave gaps inbetween the buildings, with other things aside. Such as a little side street, or maybe an alleyway with waste bins. Then there is a 2D spline, in a main carriageway. In somewhere like that, that needs to be a 3D object (even f it wastes some polys), it makes it look much nicer and neater. The 2D set of flowers in the middle of that roundabout is irresponsibly placed. That need to be replaced with smaller flower objects. 100 flower objects in there, will look much neater than one ugly large one. Those sorts of objects are good for background fields, not roundabout centre pieces. Although such bus stop placement is not unseen, it is fairly irregular. I would suggest moving the bus stop in the second screenshot to either side of that junction, making it a neater scene.

I always thought, in the recent wave of maps, we'd got past the crappy, Iomex converts. While Iomex did a good job at the time, such prominently visable junctions, do not give off a British feel, but rather a foreign 'made-to-look-British' feel. This was something that was largely irradiated, to give way to custome-made junction objects. The same goes for the standard German road texture's. The common practise for upcoming maps, is custom texture's and junctions. This is certainly something you need to look into.

Lastly, the road markings shown are incredibly incorrect. Those splines look like 150mm wide variants, which are only used on roads above 40mph. By clicking on each spline in the Omsi directory, and opening it with Notepad, Road-Hog123 has kindly detailed how each road marking should be used. This is something you need to read in my opinion.

• So for a start, most of them hedges need to be removed, and replaced by hedges of a different height, style, width etc, and differing items inside.
  • I do not believe that buildings always come next to each other. You need to try and leave gaps inbetween the buildings, with other things aside. Such as a little side street, or maybe an alleyway with waste bins.
  • There is a 2D spline, in a main carriageway. In somewhere like that, that needs to be a 3D object (even if it wastes some polys), it makes it look much nicer and neater.
  • The 2D set of flowers in the middle of that roundabout is irresponsibly placed. That need to be replaced with smaller flower objects. 100 flower objects in there, will look much neater than one ugly large one. Those sorts of objects are good for background fields, not roundabout centre pieces.
  • I would suggest moving the bus stop in the second screenshot to either side of that junction, making it a neater scene.
  • The common practise for upcoming maps, is custom texture's and junctions. This is certainly something you need to look into.
  • Most of the road markings need to be more realistic.

Now, there is a lot of advice there, and these are really basic practise for a new map. Don' be forgetting that standards have been raised with the recent maps, and I am sure if you check out some of the screenshots you will see the difference. None of this is meant in any form of abusive, or malicious way, but it is all for your own help (before anyone jumps on my back). As stated at the start, you have got a very bad reputation to overcome in reproducing this map.

Regards,
Kieron

Advertisement

Advertisement

Users who are viewing this thread