Guide to creating a VTC (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I was asked to do a guide for folks - so here it is quite long to which I make no apologise. Hope you like it.

Okay, you’ve played for hours learning the game and done lots of deliveries, travelled Europe seen the sights, brought various trucks and then you’ve thought what now? Well how about a VTC? You’ve seen the recruitment posts and possibly made enquiries but still you want that little bit more so you think I’ll set up my own VTC, so how do I do it. Here’s how.

Part 1 - Understanding a VTC and what it’s about.

What is a VTC?

A VTC is a Virtual Truck Company, created by people, for people who enjoy playing the game with likeminded individuals who are able to offer ideas and thoughts to improve their gameplay.

The aim of a VTC

To allow players another element of game play experience which is done by creating a Multiplayer element to a single player game.

To build and compare levels, create friendships, offer advice and more importantly offer support.

There are numerous VTC’s out there such as Nova Logistics, Swift Haulage, Range Logistics which are UK based big VTC’s as well as some that operate worldwide such as Quest Europe and others that are themed such as Western Storm Transportation Inc. Then you have smaller companies that arrive such as DWH Logistics, Maticus Logistics, T.E.G and JMM Transport to name a few.

A simple google search throws up lots.

So what makes you think you can create the best VTC out there, this moves us on to the next part

Part 2 - Researching, ideas and rules

As I have already mentioned the internet and google search offers great research tools, but first, grab a pen and paper. Write this at the top of the page
WHY DO I WANT TO SET UP A VTC?
Now answer it, be honest if you can’t be honest with yourself how can you be honest with your co drivers. Note you see I said co drivers, nearly most of the other VTC managers I chat with all say they are drivers first and managers second. After all that’s why they play the game.

If you have put the words, bored with game, then I suggest you come back later, setting up a VTC is just a quick fix for that boredom and you will soon get bored and abandon the project.

Next, you need to look at how much time you have available again be honest, when I set up Range Logistics in 3 days I had 2 hours sleep, ok I was under a deadline but I wanted it to be the best work I could do. Running a VTC is long, hard work with hardly any thanks and no financial rewards.

Ok you’ve got the time and you’ve got your reasons - start planning and researching what you want to achieve, look at other VTC’s, look at their rules. Think to yourself why didn’t you apply to join them, what was it that they couldn’t offer you? By now you should have some good reasons for setting up.

Now it’s think time - how are you going to run it? Is it going be a Facebook page, a forum, a complete website? I know of one VTC that runs via text messaging and emails. Again look around at others.

Get the grey matter thinking. Start making your rules! Check that the rules will work; fire up the game and spend a couple of hours trying out your rules if they work great if they don’t modify them so they can work.

How are you going to assign jobs? Will you decide who does what, will your drivers be allowed to pick which jobs they do. Are you going to have divisions or just run as one? Are you going to have a theme i.e. only US trucks, any trucks, default trucks. How are you going to assign divisions?

What perks/ rewards are you offering drivers for completing jobs? Work out how they earn the credits? Are they going to be able to buy garages and hire drivers? Do these Hired drivers have to stick to your VTC rules regarding truck types and upgrades?

I guess by now your head hurts and you’re now surrounded by bits of paper. If you were thinking it was easy think again.

Okay so you have some basic rules and ideas that work well in the game, you’ve done your research and think yes there’s a place for my VTC. Then now it’s time to move along to the next lot of thinking.

Part 3 - Mods, skins and extras.

Okay you have your basic rules; you have a direction in which to take your VTC now we need to look at how to make it come alive. You’ve probably played the game using mods, whether they be packs, cheats or skins to liven up your game. Now it’s time to think about the bigger picture. What mods are you going to allow? Can anyone have any truck is a good starting point. Are you allowing customizing of trucks? Are you allowing trailer packs etc? Are you making the mods optional? You need to limit the amount of mods required as drivers don’t want to spend time downloading when they could be playing.

The most important mod to consider is Maps. Do you just use the default game? Will you be using a third party map? Is this map required by all who drive for you in your VTC, your baby?

Mods are entirely used by choice and so you need to look at the pros and cons of using mods, again spend time playing the game using these mods, making sure that they have no conflicts, they work and make your driving a pleasure rather than a pain.

So you have a few mods you wish to use, you have some rules, now comes the fun part.

Picking your company colours, naming the VTC and eventually creating some skins for your trucks, I guess you already had a name for it but think a little about it does the name reflect what you want it to. I will make a suggestion here that you keep your company colours simple to start as if you have never tried making a skin before it will become very tiresome, very quickly and you will lose interest. We all want smart looking trucks but be practical. I had never built a truck skin till I started Range; to be honest I wasn’t really bothered before but I knew I had to create them or ask someone to create them. So again I used the internet and found loads of info on how to do a skin most of it went over my head until I found ETS Studio (more info can be found on this forum) then it took the guess work out of everything. I found templates on various sites for trucks and trailers and started to have a go.

I found that a single colour worked better for me and away I went.

Advice is freely given on this forum but rarely listened to correctly, there are some skilled skinners and modders here that will if asked nicely point you in the right direction.

Part 4 - Putting part 2 and 3 together to create your VTC, the initial set up

So you have your name, you have your colours, you may have a few skins and you’ve got your base rules so now what do you do.

You run the game on a new profile and start from scratch making sure everything that you want to happen, happens.

Ask a few friends to try it out as well, you could approach a couple of people from forums to ask if they minded trying this out for you, let them give you fed back. Don’t take negative comments to heart treat them as building blocks to perfect your VTC before launching it.

You need to think about your website/Facebook page etc. Start asking your friends to stick to the rules and let you know when they level up, need new jobs so that you can get a feel for what is needed such as categories etc. Will drivers have to post pictures or reports for loads completed, how you are going to enforce this? Look back at your research, how other VTC’s do it. Use what is available to you. You can get a free forum off the internet, google have lots of useful things such as report creating, and storage all free of charge. Images can be uploaded to hosted sites free of charge. Look into these and decide what’s best for you and your VTC. You can go as far as buying a domain and a hosting package, some servers offer a free web domain if you use their hosting all worth looking into.

Once you have everything together you need to test everything. Website runs okay, any reports you make work ok, etc.

So everything works and your friends still play and are posting on your required site, you’re happy your baby has matured; now it’s time to nurture it and launch it to the big wide world. So do it,

Most forums have rules and guidelines for promoting a VTC. This forum has a dedicated section for VTC’s to recruit. Place a post. Answer all replies honestly and to the best of your knowledge; don’t try to blag as you will lose more people than you will ever gain. If you don’t know then say so.

Don’t be disheartened if no one joins within the first few months it takes time.

Part 5 - After launching the ongoing work - the hard bit

So you have your VTC now what do you do, sit back and pat yourself on the back? NO

Look after your current members; check they are obeying the rules. Don’t get complacent if people can get away with it without being pulled about it then they will continue to do so. Monitor them.

Listen to suggestions; try them privately before enforcing rule changes. The same applies to recommended mods. A good VTC does their homework, for every 15 minutes on the Range Logistics forum I spend an extra 20 minutes checking for errors, conflicts in game, and checking everyone’s posted job sheets.

An important part of running a VTC is don’t promise what you can’t give, for example credits as wages and how they spend them. Offer only what the game can do or what you can bring to the game. I offer personalised skins for Owner Drivers for so many credits.

Continue to update your forum, blog and website. It may be worth running an advert or paying to have your site higher placed to gain more drivers. Think of things that make your VTC stand out. Upgrade your skins if you think they look shabby or untidy, launch privileged skins to keep your current drivers happy. Don’t get to pushy if some drivers haven’t played for a while as circumstances and lifestyles change.

My last bit of advice is LISTEN TO WHAT OTHERS HAVE TO SAY, if someone comes up with an idea listen to it don’t ignore it, chat about it and ask others what they think. The perfect example of not researching something properly is my website, take a look at a comment raised by another member, on my recruiting post for Range Logistics within this forum.

I hope this has been helpful to you, and please feel free to ask any questions you feel I haven’t answered

Last edited:

Advertisement

Max

-- .- -..-
FF Council
Jan 12, 2014
UK
One thing I would add is go and look at how other VTC's are running, and what sort of mods etc they're using! Of course, don't make an exact copy, but could be useful to people trying to start up to see how others have done it!

Reactions: Simplez72

Simplez72

Range Logistics VTC - Owner
If and when the Multiplayer game arrives I believe it will be harder for VTC's to run as your having to do twice as much work; I play the game about 4 hours a day just to stay ahead of things, I then spend a further couple of hours testing this isn't everyday just most days, and this allows me time to LISTEN to my drivers requests and respond straight away, again the lesson here is LISTEN TO OTHERS, their ideas maybe useful.

Reactions: LUCASI_ and Muzz

Advertisement

Feb 6, 2014
Have to thought of using Teamspeak3 as a direct line to your drivers. You can use it almost as MP just not in the same game. I have TS3 server and if you want to try it with your own company channel with a password of course your more than welcome. The address is in my sig if interested

Well I was asked to do a guide for folks - so here it is quite long to which I make no apologise. Hope you like it.

Okay, you’ve played for hours learning the game and done lots of deliveries, travelled Europe seen the sights, brought various trucks and then you’ve thought what now? Well how about a VTC? You’ve seen the recruitment posts and possibly made enquiries but still you want that little bit more so you think I’ll set up my own VTC, so how do I do it. Here’s how.

Part 1 - Understanding a VTC and what it’s about.

What is a VTC?

A VTC is a Virtual Truck Company, created by people, for people who enjoy playing the game with likeminded individuals who are able to offer ideas and thoughts to improve their gameplay.

The aim of a VTC

To allow players another element of game play experience which is done by creating a Multiplayer element to a single player game.

To build and compare levels, create friendships, offer advice and more importantly offer support.

There are numerous VTC’s out there such as Nova Logistics, Swift Haulage, Range Logistics which are UK based big VTC’s as well as some that operate worldwide such as Quest Europe and others that are themed such as Western Storm Transportation Inc. Then you have smaller companies that arrive such as DWH Logistics, Maticus Logistics, T.E.G and JMM Transport to name a few.

A simple google search throws up lots.

So what makes you think you can create the best VTC out there, this moves us on to the next part

Part 2 - Researching, ideas and rules

As I have already mentioned the internet and google search offers great research tools, but first, grab a pen and paper. Write this at the top of the page
WHY DO I WANT TO SET UP A VTC?
Now answer it, be honest if you can’t be honest with yourself how can you be honest with your co drivers. Note you see I said co drivers, nearly most of the other VTC managers I chat with all say they are drivers first and managers second. After all that’s why they play the game.

If you have put the words, bored with game, then I suggest you come back later, setting up a VTC is just a quick fix for that boredom and you will soon get bored and abandon the project.

Next, you need to look at how much time you have available again be honest, when I set up Range Logistics in 3 days I had 2 hours sleep, ok I was under a deadline but I wanted it to be the best work I could do. Running a VTC is long, hard work with hardly any thanks and no financial rewards.

Ok you’ve got the time and you’ve got your reasons - start planning and researching what you want to achieve, look at other VTC’s, look at their rules. Think to yourself why didn’t you apply to join them, what was it that they couldn’t offer you? By now you should have some good reasons for setting up.

Now it’s think time - how are you going to run it? Is it going be a Facebook page, a forum, a complete website? I know of one VTC that runs via text messaging and emails. Again look around at others.

Get the grey matter thinking. Start making your rules! Check that the rules will work; fire up the game and spend a couple of hours trying out your rules if they work great if they don’t modify them so they can work.

How are you going to assign jobs? Will you decide who does what, will your drivers be allowed to pick which jobs they do. Are you going to have divisions or just run as one? Are you going to have a theme i.e. only US trucks, any trucks, default trucks. How are you going to assign divisions?

What perks/ rewards are you offering drivers for completing jobs? Work out how they earn the credits? Are they going to be able to buy garages and hire drivers? Do these Hired drivers have to stick to your VTC rules regarding truck types and upgrades?

I guess by now your head hurts and you’re now surrounded by bits of paper. If you were thinking it was easy think again.

Okay so you have some basic rules and ideas that work well in the game, you’ve done your research and think yes there’s a place for my VTC. Then now it’s time to move along to the next lot of thinking.

Part 3 - Mods, skins and extras.

Okay you have your basic rules; you have a direction in which to take your VTC now we need to look at how to make it come alive. You’ve probably played the game using mods, whether they be packs, cheats or skins to liven up your game. Now it’s time to think about the bigger picture. What mods are you going to allow? Can anyone have any truck is a good starting point. Are you allowing customizing of trucks? Are you allowing trailer packs etc? Are you making the mods optional? You need to limit the amount of mods required as drivers don’t want to spend time downloading when they could be playing.

The most important mod to consider is Maps. Do you just use the default game? Will you be using a third party map? Is this map required by all who drive for you in your VTC, your baby?

Mods are entirely used by choice and so you need to look at the pros and cons of using mods, again spend time playing the game using these mods, making sure that they have no conflicts, they work and make your driving a pleasure rather than a pain.

So you have a few mods you wish to use, you have some rules, now comes the fun part.

Picking your company colours, naming the VTC and eventually creating some skins for your trucks, I guess you already had a name for it but think a little about it does the name reflect what you want it to. I will make a suggestion here that you keep your company colours simple to start as if you have never tried making a skin before it will become very tiresome, very quickly and you will lose interest. We all want smart looking trucks but be practical. I had never built a truck skin till I started Range; to be honest I wasn’t really bothered before but I knew I had to create them or ask someone to create them. So again I used the internet and found loads of info on how to do a skin most of it went over my head until I found ETS Studio (more info can be found on this forum) then it took the guess work out of everything. I found templates on various sites for trucks and trailers and started to have a go.

I found that a single colour worked better for me and away I went.

Advice is freely given on this forum but rarely listened to correctly, there are some skilled skinners and modders here that will if asked nicely point you in the right direction.

Part 4 - Putting part 2 and 3 together to create your VTC, the initial set up

So you have your name, you have your colours, you may have a few skins and you’ve got your base rules so now what do you do.

You run the game on a new profile and start from scratch making sure everything that you want to happen, happens.

Ask a few friends to try it out as well, you could approach a couple of people from forums to ask if they minded trying this out for you, let them give you fed back. Don’t take negative comments to heart treat them as building blocks to perfect your VTC before launching it.

You need to think about your website/Facebook page etc. Start asking your friends to stick to the rules and let you know when they level up, need new jobs so that you can get a feel for what is needed such as categories etc. Will drivers have to post pictures or reports for loads completed, how you are going to enforce this? Look back at your research, how other VTC’s do it. Use what is available to you. You can get a free forum off the internet, google have lots of useful things such as report creating, and storage all free of charge. Images can be uploaded to hosted sites free of charge. Look into these and decide what’s best for you and your VTC. You can go as far as buying a domain and a hosting package, some servers offer a free web domain if you use their hosting all worth looking into.

Once you have everything together you need to test everything. Website runs okay, any reports you make work ok, etc.

So everything works and your friends still play and are posting on your required site, you’re happy your baby has matured; now it’s time to nurture it and launch it to the big wide world. So do it,

Most forums have rules and guidelines for promoting a VTC. This forum has a dedicated section for VTC’s to recruit. Place a post. Answer all replies honestly and to the best of your knowledge; don’t try to blag as you will lose more people than you will ever gain. If you don’t know then say so.

Don’t be disheartened if no one joins within the first few months it takes time.

Part 5 - After launching the ongoing work - the hard bit

So you have your VTC now what do you do, sit back and pat yourself on the back? NO

Look after your current members; check they are obeying the rules. Don’t get complacent if people can get away with it without being pulled about it then they will continue to do so. Monitor them.

Listen to suggestions; try them privately before enforcing rule changes. The same applies to recommended mods. A good VTC does their homework, for every 15 minutes on the Range Logistics forum I spend an extra 20 minutes checking for errors, conflicts in game, and checking everyone’s posted job sheets.

An important part of running a VTC is don’t promise what you can’t give, for example credits as wages and how they spend them. Offer only what the game can do or what you can bring to the game. I offer personalised skins for Owner Drivers for so many credits.

Continue to update your forum, blog and website. It may be worth running an advert or paying to have your site higher placed to gain more drivers. Think of things that make your VTC stand out. Upgrade your skins if you think they look shabby or untidy, launch privileged skins to keep your current drivers happy. Don’t get to pushy if some drivers haven’t played for a while as circumstances and lifestyles change.

My last bit of advice is LISTEN TO WHAT OTHERS HAVE TO SAY, if someone comes up with an idea listen to it don’t ignore it, chat about it and ask others what they think. The perfect example of not researching something properly is my website, take a look at a comment raised by another member, on my recruiting post for Range Logistics within this forum.

I hope this has been helpful to you, and please feel free to ask any questions you feel I haven’t answered
Great write up, thanks for including Maticus logistics in it too haha

Advertisement

Simplez72

Range Logistics VTC - Owner
This article is so good. It will definetly help some people out.
Perhaps you should also add a section explain about VTC logging system's like myvtc.com or Stuart's CMS etc.

As I don't use any logging systems, as I am not affiliated with Stobart or Multiplayer, I don't know enough about them. I have designed my own program to take the hardship out of manual insertion and as my system isn't as complicated as some its easy for the drivers to just fill in a form which then gets read by my program.

As for MyVTC, or Stuarts system it maybe best to inquire with themselves.
Thanks for a great review though.

Simplez

Advertisement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread