Graphic settings advice (1 Viewer)

Oct 24, 2016
Hi all,
I used to run Omsi 2 on a laptop i7 2,3GHz - Nvidia 610M - RAM 8 GB; normal settings - nothing too elaborate and worked ok. I've now bought a 'gaming' laptop i7 2,6GHz - Nvidia 1060 - RAM 8 GB.
I thought I would be able to turn everything to the max - but that doesn't seem to be the case (jumping bus). I turned everything to the same settings as previously, only the mirrors I set to full (and deactivated the forced reduced reflection). I then get jumping buses (TSLP - Brixton as we know is the worst for fps, but also get it - although less - in other places) and also get it in other maps like Berlin (8 - 15 FPS). I understand that full reflections is a big compromise for FPS.

Can someone advise if there is something I can do to improve the performance?

PS - I have installed the Omsi 4GB patch.
Thanks a lot - Nigel

Solution
Audio makes no difference to FPS. OMSI is a very CPU intensive game as it uses the CPU to render more than the GPU, so they key to OMSI is not only a good graphics card but also a good CPU. OMSI is one of these games where you need one hell of a PC to run at default settings and tbh OMSI is good enough at default settings and you should be able to leave them at that given your specs.

Advertisement

whistlehead

Alias Mr Hackenbacker
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
What counts as a high-powered machine for most games is not necessarily a high-powered machine for OMSI - OMSI cares about one thing above all else, and that's processor single-thread performance. Unfortunately even a recent high-end processor running at only 2.7GHz will struggle - the general benchmark for good performance at higher settings in OMSI is a recent Intel at 3.5GHz+.

That being said, you should be able to get performance which is perfectly acceptable out of your laptop. Turn reflexions down to economy and consider dropping their resolution to 512 or even 256px, this makes a world of difference as it takes a huge load off the processor, and is still perfectly acceptable visually.

Other things you can do to improve performance are to turn the object detail down, turn the detail in nearby streets down to 0 (this rarely impacts visual appearance anyway), using reduced different AI types, reducing AI quantity, and if you have to, turn on "Use only low-res textures" or "Limit all textures to 256x256" - though by this point you're going to see a very noticeable visual impact.

Oct 24, 2016
Thanks all for your advice.
@whistlehead After your post I started googling on processor speed and saw disabling cores; so I disabled 5 of the 8 cores which does raise the FPS a bit.
I also read on overclocking - is this something anyone has done - and what do you think of this? How much would overclocking do to the FPS?
PS - I do have extra fans I can put on, so temp is no issue.

Advertisement

Audio makes no difference to FPS. OMSI is a very CPU intensive game as it uses the CPU to render more than the GPU, so they key to OMSI is not only a good graphics card but also a good CPU. OMSI is one of these games where you need one hell of a PC to run at default settings and tbh OMSI is good enough at default settings and you should be able to leave them at that given your specs.

Solution
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

Users who are viewing this thread